Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 71 GT now makes funny noise above 3000 RPM. it sounds like a chattering squeal sound, not the fan belt, sounds like it comes from inside the motor in the front, but still "runs" great. i think the tefflon slider fell off the steel braket that guides the chain, would you guys agree? i will check the hydraulic tensioner tomarrow, just to get easy things first.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maybe the water pump? I took the belt fan off my engine yesterday, and now I'm getting a high-pitch cricket sound from te water pump area. Prolly time to change that when I do the gaskets.

·
Opeler
33 Posts
i had a similar problem... right at 3500 it would sound like the fan belt squealing, although in my case i think it was... happened after i went from a 5 blade to a 7 blade fan... ended up tightening up the belt a touch and the squeal now only appears at 5000-5500 or so...

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i also just converted from 5 blade to 7 blade, i'll check that too, i wanna check all the little stuff before i pull the head, pan, and timing chain cover to fix a little slide rail.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Chain Tensioner

GS20,

If there are problems with the timing chain it is usually a faulty tensioner rather than the guides inside. Fortunately the tensioner can be accessed without pulling anthing apart as it is the about 19mm hex bolt second one up on the side above the oil filter. If there is only one nut there it is the tensioner - the lower one is only on the motors with an oil relief valve in the timing cover.

The tensioner can be removed and the sticking out bit should be spring loaded and not wobble up and down very much at all.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey guys, I must be blind but out of curiosity (after reading this thread) I went to OGTS's site to check for the pricing on a 7-blade fan and simply couldn't find it anywhere.

Do they carry them and if not, who does? Is it a generic part available at local parts stores? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Claud

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
I had a similar problem once. The plastic (for lack of a better word) bolt that goes in the front of the camshaft to guide it in place had broken and fallen into the oil pan. This allowed the camshaft to float a little when I was driving it. Put a new plastic "bolt" in and the sound went away.
Whatever is making the sound, I would suggest you find the noise. Sounds like you described are never harmless.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
7 blades

billiard13 said:
Hey guys, I must be blind but out of curiosity (after reading this thread) I went to OGTS's site to check for the pricing on a 7-blade fan and simply couldn't find it anywhere.

Do they carry them and if not, who does? Is it a generic part available at local parts stores? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Claud
Lots of Autos had the seven blade fan and it was part of the air conditioning kit. I both cases to increase cooling. It as a standard part #1340070

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya theres always something harmfull happening to this car, and the bad part is i dont even beat on it, i could see if i was beatin the piss outta antique car, but i drive it normal and easy. hopefully its an easy fix, if not i'm swappin cars, all my opel stuff for probably a 67 chevy van, and get a GT at another later date when i can afford it. so i guess complexity of the problem decides it's fate.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it was either the loos ebolt in the cooling fan, or it was the busted rubber mount for the alternator brakcet, but either way its fixed now, no more of the "noise", so i'm happy, opel stays for now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a problem like this on my dad's 69' Opel GT.. Found that the alt mounting piece was broken and at 3k+ the belt would "slap" enough to make contact with the fan blades. Really annoying noise. Welded the bracket and away we go. Just a 2cents.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
exact same thing mine was doing, also was caused by the alternator bracket. the belt squeals at 4,500, belt keeps stretching, gotta tighten it almost twice a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts