Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opeler
3,562 Posts
This is one of the shims that come between engine cross bar and the body frame. There are two, one on each side. Some GTs were equipped with factory sway bar. In that case, shims were removed to make space for a sway bar bracket. If the GT is not equipped with the factory sway bar, the shims are added to fill the gap. Shims should be mounted on each side, using the inner cross bar bolts closest to the engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is one of the shims that come between engine cross bar and the body frame. There are two, one on each side. Some GTs were equipped with factory sway bar. In that case, shims were removed to make space for a sway bar bracket. If the GT is not equipped with the factory sway bar, the shims are added to fill the gap. Shims should be mounted on each side, using the inner cross bar bolts closest to the engine.
Yes there were two of these metal shims and yes I my car did not come factory with the front or rear sway bars.
I dismantled the car in 2010 and bagged and tagged most of the parts as they were removed; however, these two parts were sand blasted and painted and left in an unmarked bag.
What you are saying makes total sense. I am back to working on putting my car together after a very long period of no progress. It became apparent real quick my memory has failed me.

If i were to buy a front sway bar kit from Gil would it have detailed instructions as far as removing these two shims and replacing them with brackets in the kit?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question along the same lines as the shims. there are 6 mounting holes in the frame for the engine cross member brace. Are all of the bolts the same length even the two that protrude through the two shims?

·
Opeler
3,562 Posts
If i were to buy a front sway bar kit from Gil would it have detailed instructions as far as removing these two shims and replacing them with brackets in the kit?
This is something that you will have to discuss with OGTS directly.

Another question along the same lines as the shims. there are 6 mounting holes in the frame for the engine cross member brace. Are all of the bolts the same length even the two that protrude through the two shims?
It has been a while since I removed the engine last time but if memory serves me all six bolts were of the same length.

·
Über Genius
8,748 Posts
I thought you were showing a plastic piece.
It helps to have an item next to pictures to show size.

·
Über Genius
8,748 Posts
Thats metal??? It has a small hole in it and an impression like its vinyl or rubber.
Yeah, now that I know it's metal I know EXACTLY what it is. It's a pain in the ass part when you are trying to get the crossmember bolts to line up through an access hole 2.5" deep.

·
Opeler
3,562 Posts
Yeah, now that I know it's metal I know EXACTLY what it is. It's a pain in the ass part when you are trying to get the crossmember bolts to line up through an access hole 2.5" deep.
This is why I replaced those two bolts with studs. Makes installing shims and aligning cross bar way easier.

·
Opel Addicts
2,454 Posts
I hate to be contrary, but I have to disagree. Having dismantled numerous GTs and have never seen a metal shim set. Every one I've seen is a rectangular piece of hard plastic, about 2" x 6", orange in color, that has 2 holes where the mounting bolts go through. I'm with Sci-fi Guy. I don't think its from a GT, but I could be wrong. I don't recognize it as a GT part. I have seen the new invisible head gasket, though!

·
Opeler
3,562 Posts
Allen, plastic pieces you are talking about come between front suspension cross bar and the frame. Steel pieces we are talking about come between engine cross bar and the frame. A lot of people never put them back as they do not know where they belong. No surprise you didn't find them on any of your GTs.
Yes, I can confirm that beside invisible head gasket, they were invisible on your GT when I helped you install the engine. :)

·
Opeler
2,885 Posts
I hate to be contrary, but I have to disagree. Having dismantled numerous GTs and have never seen a metal shim set. Every one I've seen is a rectangular piece of hard plastic, about 2" x 6", orange in color, that has 2 holes where the mounting bolts go through. I'm with Sci-fi Guy. I don't think its from a GT, but I could be wrong. I don't recognize it as a GT part. I have seen the new invisible head gasket, though!
Allen, plastic pieces you are talking about come between front suspension cross bar and the frame. Steel pieces we are talking about come between engine cross bar and the frame. A lot of people never put them back as they do not know where they belong. No surprise you didn't find them on any of your GTs.
Yes, I can confirm that beside invisible head gasket, they were invisible on your GT when I helped you install the engine. :)
Had a 72 GT with some rust, 20-years ago, that nobody in California would buy. Dismantled GT for parts and remember, "rectangular piece of hard plastic, about 2" x 6", orange in color."

·
Opeler
2,885 Posts
This is why I replaced those two bolts with studs. Makes installing shims and aligning cross bar way easier.
Helped another Opel Owner, remove and install his GT engine. Studs line up much better than bolt holes with a tapered or alignment punch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts