Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remembered seeing a post on herre about a recommended plug wire set I could get at a local auto store. Of course, now I can't find. Does anyone know what to use..I vaguely remember "low resistant" wires.

Also, just got the Petronix in the mail, now I need to run that 14 guage wire. Is is fairly easy to find on the fuse block where the resistor wire is hooked? Do it need to buy an end connector, or will the bare wire process work.

Thanks.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Any of the high quality "Hot Rod" style performance plug wires will do nicely.
Accel, Champion, Bosch etc etc. They can be sourced as seperate wires of differing lengths to get the correct sizes. If you have a radio or stereo then the "supressor" type is necessary to stop interferance. One trick is to use Copper or solid core wire from the coil to the distributor cap and supressor wire from the cap to the plugs. Though using all "supressor" wire should make sure that you do not upset other peoples' radio reception.

·
328 Posts
bare wire process?

Bare wire process? Do you carry a fire extinguisher on board? You will need at least 4 depending on which coil you have. The ones that come with the pertronix unit had to be cut off to go through the hole on my distributor.Make sure you use otto's wire diagram.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the Pertronix all hooked up along with new plugs. Runs good, except it didn't take the hesitation out. The car idles fine with a little hesitation, but when you floor it, it'll really hesitate before it revs up. Car runs fine at highway speeds. It did the same with the points. I did not change the cap, rotor, or wires because they all looked brand new. Does this sound like a carburator issue...it still has the Solex

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Mazda 1.8L, I believe its a early 80s - 626.

Make for a perfect fit.

But you can just buy the Bosch set made for our cars. Gil at OpelGTS carries them.

Part Number:

Bosch : 09022

AC Delco has a part number : AC DELCO 434H

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
bozkm said:
...it'll really hesitate before it revs up. Car runs fine at highway speeds. Does this sound like a carburator issue...it still has the Solex
Sorry to be so blunt, but DOHH!

Step one: Remove and forever lose the Slowex.
Step two: Install a Weber 32/36 DGAV (or DGEV or DGV) or 38 DGAS.
Step three: Enjoy the hesitation-free performance.

Again, apologies for the "DOHH"

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
slowex

The "stumbling" you experiancing is the accellerator pump gone bad, but, as it's in the carb and Solex doesn't have replacements, the best bet would be what Keith says. Remove the solex (use it as a paperweight, or as a reminder of 'if I had just done this sooner') Webers can be repaired, rebuilt and tuned six ways from Sunday. In your case here, you could repair your accellerator pump in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the Weber is on the list, just trying to get other things taken care of first. I'm a little confused on the following,
"Solex doesn't have replacements", then you say " in your case, you could repair your accellerator pump in about 10 minutes".

So how? I have to get my car Emissions tested before I can get plates on it, I don't know if it will pass like this. I can deal with the hesitation while driving it until I get the money for a Weber..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Getting replacment parts for the solex is difficult at best. The weber will give more power, and offer more tunability. I've had to jerri rig my solex a number of times, and from that experiance I'd say do your self a favor and get the weber as soon as cash allows. You might pass emissions, consider leaning up the solex a bit during the test. Keep the car at normal operating temp, drive it around a bit before the test.

As for plug wires, since their aren't any electronic bits or ultra high compression (or high boost) most any wire will work. Once you get into sensetive ignition controllers or other such electronics under the hood (or hate the radio noise), time to get some shielding on the wires. Many compaines offer great wires, jacbos, accel, etc. The absolute best wire I've come across are magnecor's, they offer a soil core and really great emi suppression. These wires arent cheap..and are WAY overkill for a stock gt. Once you put in a super hot coil and electronic bits under the hood, think about getting a set. They have a set that will fit the opel precut, but not in their top of line 'race' wire. Its not too hard to make up a set of wires, but you should probably get their crimpers, makes life easier.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weber carb, here you come

Well, after new plug wires and cap, the thing still hesitates and is getting worse..now it'll even do it at highway speeds, start bucking and coughing. Funny thing is, I think it all started after I put fuel treatment/carb cleaner in the gas. So, enough screwing with it, I'll put all other projects on hold and get the weber.

Here is what I found:
http://www.racetep.com/weber/opelkit.html

Seems to include everything I need..is this a good price. Do I go with the stock jets or order other ones. I live in CO, about 6000ft in elevation..any tips on how to "tune it up". I am definetly not a carburator man..I can rebuild engines left and right, but don't give me a carburator...I hate em!

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
have a search in the carb section theres a list of jets somewhere for a weber at altitude
and the 10 min fix that was mentioned is for the weber as its just screwed on the side

1 - 11 of 11 Posts