Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Did a few little details in the last couple days, everything gets cleaned up good before it goes in. All fasteners are 316 Stainless Steel. Rumor has it that a marriage was planned in heaven and it will be executed tomorrow: C20XE (aka 2.0-16V aka "Red Top", paired with a Getrag 240) will go in the car tomorrow.

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Congratulations to the newly married couple!

I had two friends here helping me, and within 30 minutes we had the engine and gear box (as one unit) in the engine compartment. Just "diving" them in on an angle, Getrag first. I just love it when there is room to work with! Now there is nothing holding me up anymore to put all the little goodies back in (and I will continue to bore you to death with pictures of 'em all ;)), but the rest of today is family day at the pool!

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Since I won't be going to Carlisle, and added a lot of content to the car since my original plan to just throw the 16V engine in, I was compelled to change the thread title. This will be my regular daily driver for at least 10 years.

Dieter

·
Registered
842 Posts
Do you still have the original 3,45:1 rear gears ? If so, it's probably time to swap to 3,89:1 instead to keep the engine in the right rev range. As you know, the C20XE produces its torque and power much higher than a 22E. One hundred ninety six Nm at 4800RPM vs 182Nm at 2800RPM and 150hp DIN at 6000RPM vs 115hp DIN at 4800RPM.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Looken bad ass!

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Do you still have the original 3,45:1 rear gears ? If so, it's probably time to swap to 3,89:1 instead to keep the engine in the right rev range. As you know, the C20XE produces its torque and power much higher than a 22E. One hundred ninety six Nm at 4800RPM vs 182Nm at 2800RPM and 150hp DIN at 6000RPM vs 115hp DIN at 4800RPM.
That's a good point Kai, I haven't thought about it. However, this engine was dynoed at 180HP when I originally got it in my Kadett C "Jägermeister". I'm not even sure what exactly had been done to it to reach this performance, but it's no magic to get the C20XE there. Then the parallel key in the timing belt sprocket broke, which destroyed all 8 exhaust valves in a couple milliseconds, and the engine was put in a corner of my garage for years. Finally, another member of this forum repaired it to go in my Rekord, and now I also have the Lexmaul RAM on it (before that, it had an injection manifold cover on it that is called the "Rotkäppchen" in Germany, see attached pic). So, long story short, I think I can cruise around just fine for now, and when I need more power I can still shift down.

A very nice ride for ten years :) What then?
Plenty more on the waiting list, to get finished. 9 Opels in the garage minus this Rekord minus 3 fully operable Opels minus one that is planned to be sold to Germany = 4 more Opels to finish.

And still 8 more years until retirement.

Dieter

rotkaeppchen.jpg

·
Detritus Maximus
2,756 Posts
Dieter, if you have a spare room, I think Gordon has some time on his hands.....

Reactions: 99449

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I finished to put the engine/gearbox combo in, by finalizing the gear box mount to the underbody. I used a new Getrag rubber mount, and was wondering that I had to drill new holes in the original gear box steel carrier. Once everything was back in I realized that the carrier was in the wrong way (LH on RH side and vice versa). By then, I had the gear box and drive shaft angle-aligned by using a line laser, so I'm not touching it anymore. No pictures this time, it was already dark yesterday night when I finished and I was basically working with a small flashlight between my teeth.

Dieter

Reactions: guyopel

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
A few details from today, the A/C compressor and Power steering pump combo and the A/C condenser were final-installed and the first A/C hoses connected. Had to fiddle around a little to be able to get to the A/C hose connections, had to take the PS pump out again to connect the hoses to the compressor, than put the pump back in. The hose from the evaporator to the compressor got heat wrap to it, it will eventually be located between the engine block and the exhaust manifold. I'll work on the rest of the A/C unit tomorrow.

Dieter

Reactions: GoldGT and rrossjr

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yes I know, I took a little time out, built a 36x15 feet lean-to on my garage, a home cinema in my bathroom (to watch movies from the bathtub :oops:), a lil of this and a lil of that. Then, as every year, the holiday season sneaked up on me. But all that is now behind me, and it is Opel-time again. Let's see what the current status was a week ago:

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The Air Conditioning is installed and connected. Done under the hood, and done in the interior. There's two outlets pointing downward to get your feet warm/cold, 4 outlets in the instrument panel, and two outlets for defrosting. I had to modify the actual plastic housing, to point the connectors for the defrosters in a different direction. The red part is a 3D-printed manifold, with the original outlet connectors plastic-welded back on.
I had mentioned it many month ago, the heater is included in this unit.

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I was scratching my head about why I completely removed the pedal assembly last year. The reason is still not clear to me, but anyway, it is back in, including the brake booster with master brake cylinder from a Cadillac Catera (Omega B), as previously described further up. Even the warning light for "low brake fluid" has been connected and tested OK.

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Started on my new interior "fuse box" today which will be located on the side wall in the passenger foot well. 10 fuses on "battery +" and another 10 on "switched ignition". LED lights indicate a blown fuse. Basically, a larger version of the same 6+6 setup in the engine compartment. You cannot have too many fuses.
The relay is to supply accessory or ignition power the radio, garmin, and the, ahem, blue light on the roof. Oops, did I really admit to that? Obviously, I now have to remove the light bulbs out of them in order to be street legal... let's see ... :unsure: :cool::love:
This, and the rest of the wiring, is planned to be done over the weekend.

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I promised progress, and here it is. The fuse panel has been installed, and the first devices been connected. I completely removed the junk of wires that previously were connected to my Alpine Bluetooth stereo, and also electrically connected and tested the Air Conditioner. Everything worked perfectly fine from the beginning, no sparks, and no blown fuses. It pays to do it right the first time!

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I took it easy today and only worked on my side console. The original glove compartment was (obviously and expectantly) way too long, due to the A/C evaporator sitting in the same spot. I cut the glove compartment off and closed the end off with a plastic sheet. It is fiberglass-reinforced, most probably nylon, and was easy to bend into shape. I riveted it into place and put some self-adhesive foam (in fact, I used 1/8" Dynaliner) in the inside. I had not even expected to have as much room left over.
I also started to prepare some stuff for my center console, but you'll have to wait a few days for pictures to show up. I need a place for my Hella blue lights/sirene, this controller is literally the size of a 1-DIN car stereo. Waiting for an aluminum sheet from McMaster-Carr, which I will bend into the needed shape and make my own center console.

Dieter

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Just so you guys don't think I'm lazy and just drink beer, here's my update from today.
I cut a lot of "stuff" out from my original instrument panel that wasn't used anymore. The rest was so flimsy that I had to fabricate some aluminum and steel brackets to hold it together. Also, I expected to have my aluminum plate here today to bend my center console display tomorrow, but "delivery is late" :sick:
See the current panel, and the stuff that was removed.
Since I cannot bend the center console, I'll have to find something else tomorrow evening instead of putting it in. Maybe I just drink beer ... :p;)

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I believe I mentioned that earlier (like, a year ago) that I only bought the cheap 3-button control panel for my VintageAir Gen.4 A/C unit. The automatic controllers from Dakota Digital are just way too expensive, and I did not find it important to have the luxury of this automatic temperature controller.
Bull$hit.
I so bit the bullet on Friday and ordered one from Summit Racing, it was already delivered yesterday.
Something else to put into my new instrument panel ...

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The first dry test run of the AC controller. This is just as it came out of the box, I will program it to a white-green-blue color pattern.

Dieter

·
Registered
490 Posts
Really interesting read. I doubt anyone on this board thinks you are lazy and doing nothing. Projects like this snowball. It isn't just a simple engine swap (even those can snow ball).

I may have missed it, but will the ABS still be operable? I really like having ABS.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts