Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to provide better support for the Manta, I am curious as to what people would want reproduced.

Please add any comments you have here and/or vote in the poll.

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the comment. But ah.. "Other" without a post telling me what the "other" is doesnt help much. ?(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE: Reproduction wants

Charles, there are a lot of things that would be great to be repo´d for the Manta, but it´s hard to put a number on how much of it you could actually sell.
I thought of a few items that would be nice to have again. Things like lower rear quarter patch panels...but taller than the old Swedish ones to allow for rustier cars, replacement door skins, washer nozzles, headlight adjustment knobs, rear decks, sun visors, molded carpets, GT/E fast ratio steering arms (Europe only item), firewall sound insulation, NEW heater cores, higher airflow heater fans, replacement defroster ducts (they ALWAYS crack), upper and lower radiator rubber mounts, GOOD quality upper and lower radiator hoses (maybe in black silicone?), molded heater hoses, dipsticks for early oil pans (aluminum), crossflow racing cylinder heads......
Okay, maybe that last one was out of line.

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>Things like lower rear quarter patch panels...but taller >than the old Swedish ones to allow for rustier cars

Hmm.. Not having seen the "Old swedish ones" I cant say mine are taller. But we have them, inner and outer.

> replacement door skins

Inner and Outer are available, but not the whole door just the lower section.

> washer nozzles
> headlight adjustment knobs
> rear decks
> sun visors
> molded carpets

These are doable... Not sure about teh nozzles though. I am sure a replacement for another car thoguh could be found that fit and looked good. Same with the knobs.

> GT/E fast ratio steering arms (Europe only item)

I didnt even know about this part.. have a sample maybe? Whats the difference.

> firewall sound insulation

Already been talked over. No one seems to have a NOS one for a blueprint. Do you by chance?

> NEW heater cores

Depending but this is a part that would be a real need. More likely is getting a group together and seeing about finding a shop to rebuild or recore the old ones.

> higher airflow heater fans

This shouldnt be a problem.. this is a matter of finding a motor that will work and a new fan blade.

> replacement defroster ducts (they ALWAYS crack)

Depending on need. They dont seem to go as bad or as quick as the GT ones. It´s something that should be realatively simple to do though.

> upper and lower radiator rubber mounts

Pretty sure they are done already. I just havent listed on the site yet.

> GOOD quality upper and lower radiator hoses (maybe in black silicone?)

Hmm... again, this could be simple enough. But its a matter of finding a company that does this kind of work. Know anyone?

> molded heater hoses

This would be the easiet to do.. just need to get one made as a template.

> dipsticks for early oil pans

Again, a balnk or something to start off from is probably the main thing needed.

Thanks for all the ideas.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GoinManta said:
>Things like lower rear quarter patch panels...but taller >than the old Swedish ones to allow for rustier cars
Hmm.. Not having seen the "Old swedish ones" I cant say mine are taller. But we have them, inner and outer.

*****The old Swedish ones stopped at the lower body seam. That was fine 10-15 years ago, but now we need to go about three inches higher.

> replacement door skins
Inner and Outer are available, but not the whole door just the lower section.

*****Besides the rust issue, there´s the dents and dings and general condition after 25-30 years. Plus, a door skin can be put on a used door in about an hour, then you scuff and paint. Welding a patch panel, then grinding, trying to reduce warpage, bondo, etc.....takes much longer, and it will probably rust through again in time. Removing the outer skin completely gives access to the inner panels, so that future rust can be STOPPED.

> washer nozzles
> headlight adjustment knobs
> rear decks
> sun visors
> molded carpets
These are doable... Not sure about teh nozzles though. I am sure a replacement for another car thoguh could be found that fit and looked good. Same with the knobs.

*****The headlight knobs always crack off, hence the need. This would require a dedicated mold. The nozzles are fairly unique...I´ve been looking at other cars for 18 years trying to find a match...none yet! I think the sun visors are a real need, they´re foam core with a vinyl covering...the foam breaks down with use, and the visor loses all its shape. I have about 10 good passenger ones, but the driver´s side gets all the use.

> GT/E fast ratio steering arms (Europe only item)
I didnt even know about this part.. have a sample maybe? Whats the difference.

****They´re shorter, this quickens the steering ratio. Neat factory part, but the aftermarket found out they could be bolted onto ANY Manta or Ascona, and they were sold out in the mid eighties. Very desireable overseas. I don´t have any, but I have the factory Opel microfische with part numbers. Nice upgrade, but probably costly.

> firewall sound insulation
Already been talked over. No one seems to have a NOS one for a blueprint. Do you by chance?

*****Only used ones that were in *decent* shape. I saved them *just in case* this ever became an issue.

> NEW heater cores
Depending but this is a part that would be a real need. More likely is getting a group together and seeing about finding a shop to rebuild or recore the old ones.

*****The problem is that at this stage in the car´s life, the end tanks and tubes have eroded away and are getting thinner. Hot tanking them only makes it worse. So a new core is only part of the problem. It´s expensive to have them cut a sheet of core material to size, I´ve had this done as well. My previous solution was to buy a GM mid-60´s core, and have the shop use this on the Manta end tanks. Identical width and thickness, but it´s about 5/8 too short. So I made a shim out of mahogany that slides into the heater core housing, then the core slides into the shim. But of course, a year later the tank failed on one of them, so it was back to square one, that´s why the need for an entire NEW heater core is there.

> higher airflow heater fans
This shouldnt be a problem.. this is a matter of finding a motor that will work and a new fan blade.

*****Well, the usual problem is finding ones that FITS, that´s all. But you´re right, finding a better one is easy otherwise.

> replacement defroster ducts (they ALWAYS crack)
Depending on need. They dont seem to go as bad or as quick as the GT ones. It´s something that should be realatively simple to do though.

*****I´ve never seen a good one since I´ve been working on Opels. The end tabs are always broken off,or break off during removal.
Maybe a good use for fiberglass? A regular mold would be VERY expensive to have them made in injected plastic.

> upper and lower radiator rubber mounts
Pretty sure they are done already. I just havent listed on the site yet.

*****Good to know, I need upper ones. I just adapted an aluminum radiator to my Ascona, and all it needs is tabs welded on to use the original mounts.

> GOOD quality upper and lower radiator hoses (maybe in black silicone?)
Hmm... again, this could be simple enough. But its a matter of finding a company that does this kind of work. Know anyone?

*****Pretty much EVERY silicone hose company will make small batches even. Lots of colors too. I personally like the quality of the Incon systems hose...they´re awesome. Also Thermalflex is supposed to be good. Both these companies do custom hoses, including heater hoses. Never need to replace them again.....

> molded heater hoses
This would be the easiet to do.. just need to get one made as a template.

*****I have a friend with a full set of NOS hoses. In fact, he may even have that firewall sound insulation...hmmm.

> dipsticks for early oil pans
Again, a balnk or something to start off from is probably the main thing needed.

*****You´ll need a new one so the mold for the rubber seal can be made, and an old one that can have the rubber seal removed so they can duplicate the bends of the metal part. Straightforward really.

Thanks for all the ideas.

*****I got a million of ´em.

Bob
(sees Opels in his sleep)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts