Opel GT Forum banner

What Kind of Exhaust Manifold on Your Opel(s)?

• Stock cast iron smaller engine manifold

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to break up the 47 year marriage between my stock exhaust manifold and my intake manifold. I don’t know how to set up the checklist type poll, so let me give it a try here. If your Opel still has the CIH engine, what are you running around town with in your Opel today?
A) Sprint manifold
B) Exhaust header
C) Original 68-73 stock factory manifold
D) Modified stock manifold converted to Sprint type
E) Other (try to specify)

Including your general geographic location would be a bonus!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,986 Posts
What exhaust manifold does your Opel have Poll

I made this Poll for The Cub:

<<< I’m getting ready to break up the 47 year marriage between my stock exhaust manifold and my intake manifold. I don’t know how to set up the checklist type poll, so let me give it a try here. If your Opel still has the CIH engine, what are you running around town with in your Opel today?
A) Sprint manifold
B) Exhaust header
C) Original 68-73 stock factory manifold
D) Modified stock manifold converted to Sprint type
E) Other (try to specify)

Including your general geographic location would be a bonus! >>>

I added some extra categories.....

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
4,913 Posts
I have the old style "Tri-Y" header on my 2.2 that I had ceramic coated inside and out. I also have a Sprint that I had coated at the same time since I wasn't sure which one I wanted to use during my build. I am considering switching out the headers for the Sprint in an attempt to quiet my car down a little but I would do it in conjunction with the change to ITBs since I would have access at that time. I remember it being a royal PITA to get to some of the bolts, but that was also before I had the lifts. I would like to change the whole exhaust system too a use the large pipe SS one that is available although doing the swap over would also cause me to have to figure out where to weld in a bung for my O2 sensor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the stock exhaust manifold. And yes, it does have a crack that was “repaired” first by a weld and later with JB Weld. It doesn’t leak at this point but I’ll probably pick up the OGTS stainless one to swap it this summer.

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts
Bob, you never did get around to trying those beer cans you & Gordo were talkin about?
I did.

It just made my welds shaky, and I got little dizzy, and I had to pee a lot...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Enough silliness, there’s only one Gordo :lmao: . I got a chuckle from that one. It looks like the Sprint is in the lead by one, stock coming in second tied with the OGTS ceramic coated header at this time. Thanks folks, for participating and PLEASE keep em coming :yup:.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,986 Posts
Okay, so now let's talk turkey.

I've had all the different exhaust manifold types for a 1.9.

You're planning on separating your intake and exhaust manifolds, presumably for either better performance or to get rid of the stove pipe and carb boiling issues. One of the unsung great aspects of the oem cast iron manifolds is that they are dead locked together with the intake and the brace that runs from the headpipe union to the block further locks everything together. Most Opelers have had a dickens of a time chasing vacuum leaks and the cast iron with brace set up I would judge to be the least leak prone.

Remove the brace and the intake/exhaust can wiggle up and down in unison. Separating the intake from the exhaust with either a Sprint or headers and no brace allows the intake and the exhaust to wiggle around independently, with the Sprint wiggling a bit less. Older style headers fit poorly at the manifold gasket, newer ones fit better, but you can't use the brace with headers and you often have to customize your headpipe. Sometimes long tube headers touch the engine or body and create a vibration. All of these situations can help vacuum leaks to occur.

That's why the new short headers that OGTS is soon to start selling are such big news. You can use the stock headpipe with them and that means that you can use the brace. The vibration that loosens your intake/exhaust-to-head bolts mostly comes from the exhaust, so locking the exhaust manifold to the block with the brace is a VERY good thing.

Stuff for you to think about as you decide what to do next.

:veryhappy

·
Opeler
2,925 Posts
It's on my completely stock '69 Kadett, as well . . . is a universal CIH exhaust manifold support bracket. Mounts between the front bellhousing support bracket bolt in right side of engine (slotted end) and exhaust manifold rear outer headpipe mounting bolt (hole end).
Exhaust manifold brace in picture at lower LH corner.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts