Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in a polycarbonate windshield? I'm considering having a windshield made up for my GT in polycarbonate. I don't yet have full details but if we can get an order together for 6 pieces, it shouldn't be much more than $310 per piece. This would be for a 3/16" clear windshield with the factory contour at the top. The other sides would need to be trimmed prior to installation.

Anyone?

-Travis

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i doubt i would get one but what is your reasoning for it is it for a rallye gt? and also will it screw on like a racing kind or use the seal like the glass one does??? how is it on scratch resistentcy?? just wondering on the specs of this type of windshield.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
you will have to change it every year or so as polycarb is bad in Uv rays and starts to fog up and go yellow
good for a car that gets stone chip damage in rallys but bad for a street car :mad:
ok for sides and rear where its not as critical :D

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I contacted the manufacturer for the first time yesterday. Their 'windshield person' was on vacation so I wasn't able to get all the details I wanted, just a rough price for the tooling and manufacturing costs. I'm expecting a call from them today with more information.

Note that all polycarbonates are not the same. Given the application, I suspect it contains UV inhibitors and I know it has a hardcoat coating, most if not all protect against UV as well as abrasion. As for 'how abrasion resistant' I don't know. I'll get as much info from them as I can but remember that their opinion may tend to be biased. If I go forward with this, I'll know for sure in a year or so:)

Here's their marketing chart on abrasion resistance. I am however not familiar with the quoted test and don't know how applicable it is to real world performance. You need to be careful with these marketing types :)

-Travis

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning to trim mine to fit in a standard window moulding. There would be nothing preventing you from screwing or riveting it to the car.

-Travis

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pvcar said:
i doubt i would get one but what is your reasoning for it is it for a rallye gt?
It's for my solo II GT. I had a small incident a few days ago where an object rolled of the shelf and landed on my only windshield which was sitting on the bench. It should be half the weight of the standard windshield and only costs a little more than the ones from Locan that people have been having fitment problems with.

So, I need a windshield, it's reasonably priced and removes a fair amount of weight, weight that is relatively high in the car, which is a big plus.

-Travis

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm interested. My Autocross GT has a delaminating problem (glass is separating from plastic) so who knows how long it will last before it is a hazard.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke with the people that would be making the windshields. Since we've only three interested people, the price would go up a bit. It's looking like roughly $350 for 3/16" windshield that would need to be trimmed to fit on three sides. $30 extra if you want them to cut it. $120 for an anti-fog coating on the inside. $45 extra for 1/4"(stock thickness). This price includes a re-usable shipping box. Figure ~$80 for shipping depending on where you're located. They'd be shipping from Indiana BTW.

Please note that this is a real group buy. That is ACTUAL cost divided by the number of pieces. I am not making any profit on this. You won't see these for sale on eBay in 6 months for half the price.

Also, I spoke with them about yellowing due to UV and they've assured me that it isn't a problem.

Manufacturing time is ~5 days from when they receive a glass windshield from me.

Anybody else interested?

-Travis

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Travis, I think this is great!

Thanks for doing the research on polycarbonates. Now the Opel community has an alternative which is both stronger and lighter than OEM.

And especially considering that the current Lo-Can supply of repro windshields is apparently defective in fit. In addtion, the Lo-Can glass is thinner than OEM and more susceptible to stone chips and fractures (like most modern cars).

So I will definitely be interested in one of these when I actually need to replace a windshield. Sorry, I know that doesn't help now with this group buy... just that glass replacement is usually an unplanned expense.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If we have 3 now and it would only take 6 to drop the price $40 maybe we can wait a bit and get it down. I didn't realize how much the shipping would be... Where is the company located, I'm guessing somewhere near you?

Dan

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan said:
Where is the company located, I'm guessing somewhere near you?
Not at all. They're in Indiana and I'm in NH. Rather than going to Joe Shmoe down the street who bent a piece of plastic once, I went to one of the few companies in the country that specialize in polycarbonate automotive windshields. I wanted a windshield, not another project:)

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Travis said:
I wanted a windshield, not another project:)

-Travis
Man, I wish I had that kind of willpower.....

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be shipping a windshield out to the manufacturer this week to be used to make the mold. I'll need a commitment and a 50% deposit from anyone interested. Time is running out. Now is your chance... :)

-Travis

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
oops i only saw the 3/16 part

i need MR10 or something equivalent

sorry been in Iraq or i would have posted sooner

Davegt27

1 - 20 of 31 Posts