Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,392 Posts
I take my Solstice to my ex-Pontiac Dealer. He still sells Buick and GMC trucks.

·
Super Moderator
9,647 Posts
The various parts suppliers to both ex-dealers are "supposed" to supply parts for the cars for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The various parts suppliers to both ex-dealers are "supposed" to supply parts for the cars for at least 10 years.
Isn't it seven years? That's what the Ford dealer told me when a clutch cable for a 94 SHO became unobtanium around 2002.

·
1,530 Posts
I would not keep Ford parts that long :haha:

·
Opeler
129 Posts
I think this will answer your question- as the answer came to me a few days ago directly from Saturn, so at least it answers the Sky owners part of the question, I'm not sure about the Solstice.

I bought a Saturn Astra 2dr XR in '08 (well, actually an Opel Astra 99.9%, other than the Saturn badge that GM placed over the Opel badge before shipping it to the U.S.) and I was worried about service and parts somewhat...I imagine same as the Saturn Sky guys. A few days ago I got a nice little brochure in the mail from Saturn regarding parts and service... (I'm picturing this one last guy left at Saturn, somewhere in an abandoned Saturn factory in Detroit, sitting on a milk carton, a cold empty basement, a bare light bulb, and a stapler, mailing these things out). It states that the local BUICK dealerships are now the official GM appointed headquarters for service and parts for ALL of the former Saturn models now, and they can fully service the cars and obtain any needed parts for them. The brochure specifically named Alden Buick in Fairhaven, MA, as the dealership I should use to service my Astra and to order parts (I'm sure you know where that is Gary... you being very nearby in Mass).

The rest of this is probably comes under the "too much information" category for your question, but I thought the Opel people here might be amused, and it is related-

OK, after having bought the Opel Astra in '08 I admit to having slight case of the heebie-jeebies just before GM shuttered the Saturn dealerships. So in a panic, I went to their parts dept a few weeks before they closed down, and ordered a bunch of oil and air filters and wiper blades and other routine maintenance items for it, ... (yeah, just like a crazed squirrel gathering stuff for the winter). The parts arrived JUST before they permanently shut down the Saturn dealership here. I picked them up from the parts dept while I literally watched workers loading everything from the building into the 18 wheelers parked in the lot. It was a strange feeling, and when the Saturn parts dept guy handed me the parts, they all came in OPEL boxes, (with the Opel logo on them, nothing Saturn marked anywhere on them). The boxes indicated they came from Russelsheim, Germany. I felt better... thinking: what the heck, even if GM does totally abandon the guys with the plastic panel "true" Saturns (Ion Redlines, SC2's, etc.), the car I bought is an Opel, not a Saturn, so as long as Opel didn't fold, parts wouldn't be a problem.

Here's the weird part- the guy who gave me the parts then told me that the other guy he worked with in the Saturn parts dept there actually MOVED to Germany and went to work for Opel, a few weeks earlier. I said, " you're kidding "...but he was dead serious. He said the guy Saturn was about to fold, saw a job opening with Opel in GM's internal job listings, posted for it, was granted an interview,flew there,and interviewed for a job directly with Opel. He said the guy didn't expect to actually get the job. But to his surprise, he was hired, took the job and moved to Germany. He actually OUTSOURCED HIMSELF. Crazy story.

So now that the dust has settled with the future of Saturn/Opel soap opera, I guess it turns out that my hunch was right: GM's board of directors decided against selling Opel to Canadian based Magna, after all of the drama and hoopla of the past 2 years (did anyone see the pictures on the internet of parading Opel factory workers carrying wooden caskets with "R.I.P Opel" labels on them about that time ? ... see Opel workers strike after GM abandons sale - CNN.com)

So apparently BUICK dealerships are again servicing Opels. Or, is there some kind of time-warp and it's 1971 again?

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Kappa cars . . .

What are Solstice and Sky owners doing for parts and service now that GM is no longer selling them?
The various parts suppliers to both ex-dealers are "supposed" to supply parts for the cars for at least 7-10 years.
. . . all three Kappa chassis cars - Solstice, Sky and Opel GT - are ~98% similar and were all built in Delaware from 2004-2009 in any case. That said, I hated how the tall, 30" stock fixed antenna looked on my 2009 Coupe and installed the much nicer, shorter 16" antenna from the Opel GT . . . straight swap and looks SO much better!

And while a panel section of the roof can be removed, it cannot be stored in the back of the car. Pontiac offered a canvas roll-up stowable top that can be taken along when the top is removed . . . of course, at considerable extra cost! Decided not to take a chance on it being available a year or more down the road and bought one a month after the car was delivered. Even at that point, it took 45 days for them to locate one at a dealer in, you guessed it, Pontiac MI!

GM closed the Kappa chassis assembly line down on 12 June 2009 and I was told by fairly reliable GM sources that the 2009 Solstice Coupe production total was 1,836. Two weeks ago I attended a small local meet in McKinney where there were 11 Solstice/Sky roadsters and 1 Coupe, a red one, besides mine, the first one I've so far seen here since taking delivery of mine at the end of August in 2009.

There were a couple of GM regional managers there who indicated that they believed the number of Coupes produced was only just over 1,200. Can't really get an accurate count on any of the Kappa forums, so don't really know what to believe now. Have contacted several GM Management people for info, but no one has stepped up thus far.

·
Opeler
129 Posts
Tekenaar- the Solstice GXP Coupe is a beautiful design, I actually kept a framed picture of the orange Solstice Coupe showcar mock-up vehicle on the wall of my office at work for years, after it was initially rolled out along with the production version Solstice convertible.

Everyone who came by wanted to know what it was and where they could buy one. It surely would have sold better had the economy not gone into the second Great Depression just as it was rolled onto the sales floor.

But it is cool driving a car that absolutely no one else has, or even knows what it is.

I've been driving my Opel Astra 2 dr XR for 3 years now, and have not seen ONE SINGLE other 2 dr Astra XR, and I cover a LOT of ground. I've only seen 3 other Astra's in past 3 years (but they were the ugly 4 door granny versions). Apparently Opels are still chick-magnets... a few weeks back a cute blond rolled down her window beside me in traffic and said "That's a nice looking car, what is that ? ".

I don't get that in my '02 Miata... so there is definitely something to be said for uniqueness... hint hint, nudge nudge, say no more, know what I mean ?

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I just had my Solstice in to my "ex" Pontiac dealer yesterday for new brakes and the check engine light was on. Turned out it needed a new thermostat. Anyway, The dealership I bought the Solstice at is the only place I take it for repairs as they still have mechanics that were trained to work on the car. Also, they can still get any parts you need on order (at least so far that has been the case). BTW, many a Solstice has been damaged by being placed on the lift incorrectly. The car has to be lifted in a specific way or you get body damage - another reason to take the car to a trained GM mechanic IMHO...

Matt

P.S. When the 10 years runs out, I hope OGTS expands their business and buys up all the Solstice parts so I have one-stop shopping for both the Opel and Solstice. :yup:

·
Opeler
119 Posts
We have our Sky serviced at the local Saturn Dealer here in Canton. You can also find parts on e bay and I just downloaded the parts list from an e bayer. We have never had a problem with any service. Our Sky goes in tomorrow for a service on replacing an interior dash panel. I would suggest Sky/Solstice contact the local GM dealers that sold the cars as most of them here in Ohio will continue to sell new GM cars and used cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Actually, both Solstice concept cars . . .

Tekenaar- the Solstice GXP Coupe is a beautiful design, I actually kept a framed picture of the orange Solstice Coupe showcar mock-up vehicle on the wall of my office at work for years, after it was initially rolled out along with the production version Solstice convertible.

Everyone who came by wanted to know what it was and where they could buy one. It surely would have sold better had the economy not gone into the second Great Depression just as it was rolled onto the sales floor.

But it is cool driving a car that absolutely no one else has, or even knows what it is.

I've been driving my Opel Astra 2 dr XR for 3 years now, and have not seen ONE SINGLE other 2 dr Astra XR, and I cover a LOT of ground. I've only seen 3 other Astra's in past 3 years (but they were the ugly 4 door granny versions). Apparently Opels are still chick-magnets... a few weeks back a cute blond rolled down her window beside me in traffic and said "That's a nice looking car, what is that ? ".

I don't get that in my '02 Miata... so there is definitely something to be said for uniqueness... hint hint, nudge nudge, say no more, know what I mean ?
. . . were fully functional models that were driven out to center stage at the 2002 Detroit Auto Show by Bob Lutz himself!

You're absolutely right about the "unique" pleasure of driving an "instant classic" though!

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Two quick updates . . .

. . . all three Kappa chassis cars - Solstice, Sky and Opel GT - are ~98% similar and were all built in Delaware from 2004-2009 in any case. That said, I hated how the tall, 30" stock fixed antenna looked on my 2009 Coupe and installed the much nicer, shorter 16" antenna from the Opel GT . . . straight swap and looks SO much better!

. . .
. . . were fully functional models that were driven out to center stage at the 2002 Detroit Auto Show by Bob Lutz himself!

You're absolutely right about the "unique" pleasure of driving an "instant classic" though!
. . . to both of these posts . . .

First, for other US Kappa chassis - Solstice/Sky - owners, the short "Opel GT" antenna P/N is 25805645 and may be purchased on-line from www.gmpartscenter.net

Second, and maybe not as important, I updated the 'forward/back' navigation symbols in the linked '2002 Detroit Auto Show' pictures so the cursor doesn't require any movement during navigation forward or backward. The original always irritated me somewhat . . . just never got around to fixing it. Just loaded and began using MS Expression HTML editor rather than my age-old Front Page 2000 . . .

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Shorty Antenna

FYI on the antenna - I'm using an aftermarket 6" fixed antenna with no reduction in reception.

Attachments

4,231 Posts
Golden Earrings

Never before i drove Opels,i was so angry:sigh:
I think they must have a nail in her brain:yup:

I want to add the liqui moly trans oil additiv in the 5 Speed for better and smoother
shifting.Its a introduction from Opel!!!

For that work you need two seal rings. And here is the point without fun!

Here is the price of "ONE" seal ring:lmao:

https://www.ersatzteile-original.com/Opel/DICHTUNG-Opel-Ersatzteil-4810880-89048245::39676.html?MODsid=t6r54a01a6mb27u32ncv5qhro0

Ist over 1000% more as the original Dorma part whats normaly want!

Happy Opeling
"Wir haben verstanden"

I also
Norbert:bs2:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

And while a panel section of the roof can be removed, it cannot be stored in the back of the car. Pontiac offered a canvas roll-up stowable top that can be taken along when the top is removed . . . of course, at considerable extra cost! Decided not to take a chance on it being available a year or more down the road and bought one a month after the car was delivered. Even at that point, it took 45 days for them to locate one at a dealer in, you guessed it, Pontiac MI!

GM closed the Kappa chassis assembly line down on 12 June 2009 and I was told by fairly reliable GM sources that the 2009 Solstice Coupe production total was 1,836. Two weeks ago I attended a small local meet in McKinney where there were 11 Solstice/Sky roadsters and 1 Coupe, a red one, besides mine, the first one I've so far seen here since taking delivery of mine at the end of August in 2009.

There were a couple of GM regional managers there who indicated that they believed the number of Coupes produced was only just over 1,200. Can't really get an accurate count on any of the Kappa forums, so don't really know what to believe now. Have contacted several GM Management people for info, but no one has stepped up thus far.
I never realized that there were different antennas for the Sky, GT, and Solstice. I have a Sky and the antenna is about four inches high and it sits in the middle rear of the trunk lid. I thought they all came like that. Checked the link, and there were two. The regular narrow mast type and the shark fin type. Learn something new every day.

Bob

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Sky and Solstice both came with a radio and XM/OnStar antenna

The Opel GT just had a short version of our regular radio antenna. Do not have the antenna in the center of the rear deck.

Ours are about 17 inches and theirs about 10 I think, not exact but considerably shorter than ours.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,986 Posts
My Coupe has a antenna thingy that I guess could be called a shark fin on the roof and it originally came with a 2 foot tall metal radio antenna that I swapped out for a 12" flexi rubber antenna. The thing on the roof is my XM/On Star I guess.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know about OnStar, but there is no XM Radio in Europe. They have a different digital radio broadcast technology, it's called Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) and uses a different antenna.

Dieter
The XM and Sirus satellites are in Tundra orbits, which means that they end up just doing a figure 8'ish patter on the ground over North and South America. That's why there is no coverage in the EU. I didn't want to take this thread too far off topic, but it's not very often I can apply any of my day job skills to the Opel community...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts