Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can retrofit a set of later-model pop-out windows from a 71-73 to an earlier model GT? I know that the rubber moulding would have to be replaced, but are there any mounting points available - or easily fabricated?

Thanks,
-Bob

·
GT Owner
391 Posts
Haven't ever made this change myself but looking at the window the front hinges appear to simply need holes drilled in the body. Besides Rodney (KIller GT), I think Gary (GT.com) also has installed pop out windows. The bracket modification in the back has made the installed window fit properly. There my be a write up in one of the monthly Blitz newsletters.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Pop Out conversion

I will soon be sending Gary a write up on the conversion and how to make the brackets for the latch. The conversion is fairly easy. I hope to get it to Gary by the first of next week. I can also make the brackets for you for $25 a pair. If you have any other questions just let me know, I will be glad to help.
Killer Tx GT
Prez. Opel Club of Texas

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like it may be a good route to go. $25 isn't bad - and I wouldn't have to worry about getting the brackets right myself. You or Gary can contact me directly if you wish - [email protected].

-Bob

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL said:
Isnt the windows frame the same ? all you have to do is drill holes and apply?
Yes, The tricky part is getting the correct location for drilling the trim strip holes. If I were t odo it again, I would put the gasket and trim in place, and put tape at the edge of the trim, remove the gasket, mark the holes and drill. Rodney's adapter for the rear latch is nice. At the time, i used a 1/4 - 20 nut behind the rear screw to get the angle needed to close the latch.

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Need help guys. I tried the link and I got the words but the diagrams and photos give me that box with the stupid little red X in the corner. Can somebody repost it in the other format? The individual photos come through just fine.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
I get the same problem. But the photos are in the order of the story, so just cut and paste. Literally. And I'll tell Wayne that there is a problem with the site.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
Wayne Torman has loaded a .doc version, so it should be fine now. If not, let me know, as I have the MSWord file.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts