Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is finally getting to me, ever since i got my opel it pops out of reverse so i have to hold the gear shift, the PO told me it was the shifter linkage and i cant find out how to adjust the shifter linkage and if that really is the problem. any ideas?

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
shift linkage

there is no way to adjust the shift linkage that i know
of. i had a problem with worn out linkage this is were the
holes in the linkage have worn and becom almost ovals and
it makes it almost impossible to shift into any gear. i had to
take the whole trans out and disconnect the linkage and weld up the holes and then re drill them.it fixed my problem.this my be
the same problem ur trans has but only the reverse side shifter linkage is worn.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Yes you CAN adjust the linkage,

Where the linkage connects to the transmission you can move the levers in or out by turning a bolt, it is hard to describe just look at it or get a manual and you can figure it out. I attached a picture to try to show you

Attachments

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
linkage adjust

yes i rember i did have to remove that when
repairing the linkage but just put it back on at
the same spot didnt no that it adjusted anything really.
but also the holes in the linkage may also be bad.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I should have said I had the same problem with reverse poping out, I adjusted this bolt and it fixed it. The shifter linkage will only allow so much throw to one side, so by adjusting the bolt it will move the shaft in the transmission farther and fully into gear.

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
As Chris has pointed out, this is the "Reverse Blocker Adjuster". It is used to adjust the shift lever so that it is in the middle position when the transmission is in neutral, and also adjusts how far the shift lever has to be pushed to the left side to engage reverse.

That being said, the engagement of reverse is quite "positive" in the tranny box, so unless it is badly out of adjustment, it probably won't cure your problem. Unless there is something in the way of the shift lever to keep it from being moved fully forward (such as an incorrect shifter boot, a non-standard console, or even some A/C consoles.

Jumping out of gear can be caused by a number of problems, including:

1) the transmission being misaligned to the bellhousing, or even just loose,
2) a worn pilot bearing (the needle bearing inside the end of the crankshaft that the tranny input shaft rides in),
3) internal damage to the tranny, including a loose bearing retainer, worn main shaft bearings or shaft,
4) Worn gear teeth
5) a bent mainshaft
6) and specific to reverse gear, either a missing interlock detent spring and/or ball, or a weak or broken spring.

My suggestion would be to ensure that the reverse gear interlock detent spring and ball are even there. They sit up inside the tranny casing, inside a hole that is covered by the cover (under one of the two "turn-outs" in the cover). It can happen that a P.O. dropped the cover to change the tranny oil, and the ball and/or spring fell out into the catch pan, and he didn't even notice them.

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts