Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Opeler
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just doinging my daily Opel search on ebay and came accross a 1971 gt
parts car ad. Looking at the picture of the engine this sure looks like a 1.1 and not the 1.9 listed. Duel carbs, small valve cover, smaller radiator, and the wide top of the radiator support. Don't recall the 1.1 being in 1971 gt so could be wrong year. Item number 2490453170.
Roger

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'd say it looks like a 1.1. the valve cover on a 1.9 sits much higher than that and it has the radiator further back in the car, if it was a 1.9 the motor would be sitting right in the radiator, must not be a 71, but a 69-70 with a 1.1

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Definitely a GT 1100...and an even rarer bird if it's a 1970 (late titled in '71). Too bad it's in such rough shape.

·
392 Posts
The dash lights for turn signals and brights are the square ones that I thought only came on early 69's. Could be wrong and if I am please correct me. But if they are then this one could be worth something to return to origonal.
Mike
70 GT
73 GT
72 Manta Rallye

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
If everything is original, this car is a 1969... Wonder why he thinks it is a 74?

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
At least the seller corrected the engine size in his description after I emailed him. Probably still thinks it's a 1974, though, because that's what his title says.

Mike, the square indicators changed over during the 1970 model year. This one's probably not an early '69 since it lacks a flat panel rear.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
I pointed it out to the vendor, and he said it was titled as a '74. I guessed that it was a '70, based on the indent for the licence plate. But when I checked my VIN codes, it is a '69 (the '70 model started at 93•1892645, while this is 93•1745295). And I noted that it was missing the air filter cannister, which he confirmed he didn't have. Odd to be missing that on a car so well preserved/restored. Does the 1.9 cannister fit (the snorkels are there)?

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
kwilford said:
And I noted that it was missing the air filter cannister, which he confirmed he didn't have. Odd to be missing that on a car so well preserved/restored. Does the 1.9 cannister fit (the snorkels are there)?
Yes, the 1.9 filter cannister is the same as the 1.1 except for the addition of a small vacuum nipple. The rubber bellows is the same, too.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Converted 1970?

This GT on eBay should be a 1.1L according to the VIN (93952017627), which would make it a rare 1970 version. However, if true, it no longer sports the original drivetrain. It is also possible that the VIN plate(s) had been swapped at some point. Just a heads-up in case anybody here is considering bidding. I sent the seller a question but haven't heard back yet. It looks to be a nice vehicle.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Nice one. Love that yellow. If I hadn't gotten one already I'd be all over like flies on poop.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Nice one. Love that yellow. If I hadn't gotten one already I'd be all over like flies on poop.
Jeff, you still don't get the concept, NO ONE owns just ONE Opel, you HAVE TO HAVE several, get with the program ROFLMAO!!!

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Now why would any sane person feel the need to have more than one Opel????:lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Opel fleet

I must not be sane; I would love to have that yellow 70 model. It would be my third GT. Problem is, I woudn't be able to afford any other luxuries, such as beer! I'm out of control with Opelitis. A man NEEDS three Opels. :haha:

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Now why would any sane person feel the need to have more than one Opel????
You are hardly qualified to comment on this anomoly...:p

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Jeff, you still don't get the concept, NO ONE owns just ONE Opel, you HAVE TO HAVE several, get with the program ROFLMAO!!!
Believe me I WANT more than one but I'm lucky to have the one I've got and still be married and I know it.:yup:
I'm going to get an ear full again today when I fess up for the Weber parts I just ordered....no, one is enough for now.:ugh:

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
You are hardly qualified to comment on this anomoly...:p
I Think he is up to about 20 or so.. and about 8 different varities.. if memory serves..

What is the current list Rob?

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Believe me I WANT more than one but I'm lucky to have the one I've got and still be married and I know it.:yup:
I'm going to get an ear full again today when I fess up for the Weber parts I just ordered....no, one is enough for now.:ugh:
Jeff;
Do like I did, I bought one for her. She scoots all over Atlanta in her "Dragon Wagon" (74 Sportwagon 'jade green') Her only stipulation was that it had to be automatic. Sooo, I have my 74 & 75 Sportwagons, and my 69 GT!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts