Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all who has courage in me and my car. It really means a lot, and shows there is more than just me that would like to see a finished "73 Blue GT". With all that said, I have been kind of listing things that need to get done before it is finished, and would like to see if anyone here has an estimated price if they have had it done before.

1. Exhaust system - taking it to a muffler shop to get the tubes bent and installed because I don't have the right equiptment. I would like to do a Magnaflow system (Muffler and Cat?) with like a 2 inch or bigger pipe. What size could I get with the stock manifold/and with the header? I figure if I'm putting the money into it, might as well get the biggest I can.

2. Windows - Never had any experiance putting in windows, and my dad figures we just take it down to have the windows put in..plus I'm either doing the back 3 or 5 in the spray tint before the windows go in so it covers better. Anyone ever had windows installed professionally, and or spray tinted on a GT?

3. Interior - The only thing in the interior that I'm not doing is the headliner, anyone got an estimated price to get that installed?

Thanks, any information helps!

Jon Samuel

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jon, as far as the exhaust, RallyBob has made the recommendations numerous times, that 2.25" is the largest exhaust to use on the 1.9, and that will leave room for future engine mods. The only exception to the tubing size is where the tubing goes over the rear axle, he recommends 2.5" because the tubing will shrink and get wrinkled from the tubing bender. If you talk nice to the muffler shop guys and have them bend the tubing carefully, they can, although it takes more time, bend the tubing with minimal or no wrinkling in the bends. As far as the window installation, the door and quarter panel windows are easy to put in. Personally, my front and rear windows will be installed by the pros, if they break it, they buy it, simple as that. Window tinting is a personal choice, here in CA, you can tint the windows behind the front seat really dark, but the driver's and pax side windows cannot be tinted very dark. If the local constabulary stop you it is an arbitrary decision by them if it is too dark on the windows. You can run a search for headliner installation, there have been quite a few threads on that recently, well this year anyway, from folks that have done it themselves or paid to get it done. Again personally, my interior will be done by the pros, I got all the stuff OGTS has for the interior and other pieces will still have to be made up to complete the installation. HTH. And keep on keepin' on.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Do It Once - Do It Right!

Jon,
The headliner goes in before the screens - it is held in by the rubber. Unless your headlining is in near new condition consider a new one from OGTS - about $90 - a new unstretched one goes in far easier and looks so much better. Remember the screens must come out later on to put a new one in ....
If you can find an Auto Trimer ( Upholstery Guy ) that will put a headliner in for $100 - $150 then that is a good price range for a professional fit.

The screens, likewise, are far easier to fit with new rubbers around them - again from OGTS at about $90 front and a similar price for the rear with a chrome locking strip costong another $60 ish. Once again getting the screens fitted professionally is a good idea as they usually have insurance to cover a broken screen .......

For the exhaust on a standard lo-comp '73 motor 1 1/2" front tubes from the manifold and 2" - maybe 2 1/4" main pipes and muffler will be all that is needed. Exhaust systems using readily available components and custom bent pipes are remarkably inexpensive from a shop that knows what they are doing - maybe $250 for most of the bits and fitting .....

Just a hint here: While saving up the necessary monies go hang around local muffler or upholstery shops and see if you can pick up a bit of a job at one of them. Take a few pictures of your painted GT with you and ask about prices for what is needed and see if a bit of part time after school work is available.
Heck, even show willing to sweep a few floors to get a foot in the door and you may find the jobs easier to get done!

HTH - Keep on Opeling! And remember - You have a GT! Not many others in your age group ever will have ;)

OGTS can be found on the web at: www.opelgtsource.com

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Dont be afraid of installing the front and rear glass. They are extremely easy once you start. When you start putting it in, it will all make sence. Look in a haynes manuel for the old vw bugs, it tells you how and they are the same style of seals as the old bugs. Dont be afraid of breaking the glass, it is very resilient. just dont be to rough with them. it takes about 30 minutes with 2 people to install them, and youll be glad once you do it cause then you will know how.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Sparky73 said:
1. Exhaust system - taking it to a muffler shop to get the tubes bent and installed because I don't have the right equiptment. I would like to do a Magnaflow system (Muffler and Cat?) with like a 2 inch or bigger pipe. What size could I get with the stock manifold/and with the header? I figure if I'm putting the money into it, might as well get the biggest I can.
Bigger isn't always better, especially when it comes to exhaust. Here's RallyBobs latest post on sizing

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=42326&postcount=7

So, you'll want to mate the 2" pipe at the merge point at the bottom of the head pipe, run this back to a Magnaflow with 2" core just in front of the axle and then 2-1/2" over the axle. The reason for the 2-1/2" over the axle isn't ronly to compensate for any crimping of the pipe but rather because it will create less back pressure without decreasing the exhaust velocity in the important parts of the exhaust(everything forward of the first muffler).

-Travis

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Here's a pic of my exhaust manifold and head pipe. I've added a flange to aid in assembly but most don't bother.

Also, if you bring a couple 2-1/2" mandrel bends to the exhaust shop you should be able to get them to create a wrinkle free over the axle pipe, which is much preferred over the crimped type

-Travis

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts