Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard do you think it would be to put a turbo volvo motor from a 740 Turbo into my GT. It is already rear wheel drive and is automatic. It seems like it would be fairly easy. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
dont know the size of the 740 t engine but seam to remember its big so you would have to measure up and see if it goes in
also look to doing an axle change as the 740 t will eat the gt axle PDQ
you will also need to do some strength work as the gt will flex with that power and pop windows
but as with anything if you have the will and the cash someone will do it if you cant

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
...and don't forget to remind that British Moderator that threads on engine swaps belong in the "Engine Swap Forum". :rolleyes:

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
sorry keith didn't even look where it was , put it down to being 2 pm when i answered :D + its a 1 i cant see going very far so did not worry about

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the 740t motor is only a 2.3L it cant be that much different in size than the opel 2.5L. But my friend has a 740t and i will measure to be sure. Im actually thinking of putting the rear end from the volvo in it but it will almost definately be way to wide, but who knows, i could put huge fender flares on it.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
first off sorry about the little pop at you last night was in a strange mood from what my lady tells me :eek:
theres a thread on putting a bmw rear on the gt if you do a search and the toyota small truck is another that can take power
i have been thinking about this and the volvo uses a french renault turbo engine they can make big power if you throw the right bits at them and as they started out front wheel drive it might be quite compact ,so could be a good choice
there was a video clip on here of a manta with a volvo engine in and it was mega quick but i can not remember where it was(getting old and infirm ) , im sure some one will and post it soon

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
baz said:
there was a video clip on here of a manta with a volvo engine in and it was mega quick but i can not remember where it was(getting old and infirm ) , im sure some one will and post it soon
http://www.hilmersson-racing.com/

Interesting site, lots of info, although the english section is not as explicit. But the videos are pretty cool!

Bob

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
RallyBob said:
http://www.hilmersson-racing.com/

Interesting site, lots of info, although the english section is not as explicit. But the videos are pretty cool!

Bob
Looks like Bobs work ;) I Think the dash, glass and exterior sheetmetal are still Opel.

Charles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts