• No, due to inconclusive information or other options the vehicle has

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Yes, although some options are uncertain, this could be the GT/J

Votes: 4 50.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Opel Key Master
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I met a guy last year at an auction, that stated he had a GT/J Model. Well I recieved a call from him stating he would like to sell it. So looking up any info on the GT/J I went to check out the car. For what I can tell it is a GT/J but there are a few things funny about it....maybe
What I confirmed on the vehicle:
First, it was brought over by a guy in the armed forces.
2. It had painted black bumpers that appeared to have never been chromed
3.It had a 240 klh speedometer
4. the rearview mirror did not have the detent
5. the door handle armrest on the interior were smaller and could put hand in them (like kadett I read)
6. It had Hella clear foglights
7. It had rubber flooring under console and other area's-has been covered now with a carpet
8. The driver's door had a tag giving info about tire pressures in german
9. although covered with a wrap-it had the rubber coated steering wheel
10. the rear quarter lights were eliminated, but had bodywork and could not tell, but was told it did not have anything behind there.
11. The rear licence plate lights were black hella instead of chrome, and one was very clean, does not look like a inside paintjob-looks factory

The reasons it is not confirmed due to what I read:
1. there is an emblem on the dash and the VIN doesn't match the body tag, and on this model, I think it would have. seems the vins that start with "y" do not
2. it had all the guages, none were eliminated, and the speedo is the only metric guage...this still may not unconfirm it
3. It had a cigar lighter, but bezel was missing
4. It had a dome light
5. I thought it might of had the sway bar on rear-no brkts or anything-does not mean the GT/J had one though
6. The car has had at least two paint jobs, so original side stripes are gone
7. The body tag still identifies it as a GT-A-L no GT-J( this may be correct also-I do not know)
8. wheels are changed so, never know there
9. the door panels were like the A-L's but no pocket
The seats I think have not been covered, the inserts are smooth vinyl but are a tuck-rolled style

I do believe this to be what the guy says it is, I don't know if anyof the 9 reasons I listed wrong would 100% unconfirm this to be a GT/J
The problem with the car though is it has severe cancer(rust) Shotty bodywork from before where foam was used to fill holes. Entire driver's floorpan replace with one sheet of metal that looks like a 5 year old glued it in. The body would almost be scrap. It has some great parts on it but would almost need to go on another body to build a nice GT/J. The vehicle runs and drives, has a weber and a header on it. It was too much for me who has a rotisserie to do all the metal work, and have the tools....but I still walked away. He wants about $1000.00 for the car. It is worth in my opinion 400-500 dollars, and that is cause of the few rare parts. I can give his contact info if anyone wants, but I stress the car is rough! Nice find, but rough

· Senior Contributor
695 Posts
The parking / running light switch, all three paddles should work, far left parking lights/ center headlights , when turn on will turn on the parking lights far left switch is dimmer for dash, If the stock radio is still there it will not be a GM product but has the european markings and be both AM and FM, the push buttons are left to right L M K U U, The clock is blanked off. I have parted out such a GT-J and chassis tag should also list it as a GT-J Model.
rk

298 Posts
i just bought a owner manual from opel gt suselbeek. its a dutch reprint. i found some things in i that says what is on a gt/j and whats not.

a GT/J has or doesn't has:

1. it doesn't have a sigarett lighter (light). when the lights of the car are turned on the sigarett lighter should light on on an AL but not on a GT/J.

2. is doesn't have a amp or oel meter.

3. no hoodlamp

4. it shouldn't have a electric clock.

5. well this thing is a little hard to explain in english. the windshield wiper fluidsprayer. a GT/J has a mechanical operated one, there is a footpump next to the cluth pedal. a GT/AL has an electric one. and that is the button on the lever at the steering wheel (left side)

6. the GT/J doesn't have a sun visor.

7. the rear view mirror, is not adjustable. (it doesn't have the clip to set it so it doesn't blind you.

this are some things i found in the book that can tel lyou if it is a gt, some parts are more easier to replace then others.

hope this helped a bit.
cheers
tom

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
GT-AL cars do have a mechanical windshield washer pump, not electric, and GT-AL also didn't come with a hood lamp.

298 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
GT-AL cars do have a mechanical windshield washer pump, not electric, and GT-AL also didn't come with a hood lamp.
well the european ones didn't there are several differences between american and european GT/AL. and if i recall GT/J were only build in europe right?

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Opelspyder, if in fact it hasn't been touched in years, have a look at the window gaskets and the gas cap. Those are two dead give aways to the J version. Another good way to tell is if it has the brake warning switch on the MC.

298 Posts
nobody said:
Opelspyder, if in fact it hasn't been touched in years, have a look at the window gaskets and the gas cap. Those are two dead give aways to the J version. Another good way to tell is if it has the brake warning switch on the MC.
this is one of the differences between european and american GT/AL. i have a european one and i don't have that switch, so it doesn't nessecarily be a gt/j when looking at that.

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Killer Texas GT said:
The parking / running light switch, all three paddles should work, far left parking lights/ center headlights , when turn on will turn on the parking lights far left switch is dimmer for dash, rk
I believe this is one of the dead giveaways of a GT/J

Jeff

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Tom Laan, that is exactly right. All European produced GTs didn't have that switch. Here in the US it's a real givaway as to where it was produced for. All J models were for European sales so it stands to reason that the lack of that switch doesn't by itself make it a J but at least marks which continent it was intended for sale in. It tells if it's an import or not.

· [email protected] Dutch speaking ?
71 Posts
GT/J Gascap

The GT/J also has a non-locking fuel tank cap which is one piece but a similar shape.
Nice one isn't it ? :D Very rare item......

Black , thin, .......same shape as the chrome one.......... and no lock ! :cool: looking.

\

Attachments

· Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,825 Posts
Yes, that's a GT/J gas cap, and yes, it's VERY rare....:eek:
I'm into GTs for 25 years, and I've never heard of or seen such a cap. I had a '73 GT/J in Germany, with a locking cap.

Dieter

· [email protected] Dutch speaking ?
71 Posts
I'm into GTs for 25 years, and I've never heard of or seen such a cap. I had a '73 GT/J in Germany, with a locking cap.

Dieter
It 's true Dieter !
This is the real GT/J cap.

Then they change it for the locking cap from your car.
They never told you. In those days they stole a lot of gas from German and Dutch cars.
So they choose for the locking one and put the Black gascap in there own pocket.

Now rare and maybe a collectors item.

But in Holland and Germany they known, so if you put this Black cap on you car and
you come back from a drink then................... bye, bye Black gascap.:aargh4:

· Registered
335 Posts
I agree with hoppy-59, I have seen the flat black gas caps in Germany. I worked for an Opel dealership, and the owner (friend of mine) had a restored yellow GT/J. I will look for some older pictures and post them here. I also had a 72 GT/J in the eighties, although I couldn't afford the black gas cap...

But I have another indication for a GT/J: The serial # should start with 79 and the interior color code should be 451 (flat black vinyl) instead of 751.

Udo Boernemann from Splendid Parts has a pretty good article about GT/J's (in German):

Splendid Parts - GT/J ! SPEZIAL !

Dieter (2)

· 'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
I agree with hoppy-59, I have seen the flat black gas caps in Germany. I worked for an Opel dealership, and the owner (friend of mine) had a restored yellow GT/J. I will look for some older pictures and post them here. I also had a 72 GT/J in the eighties, although I couldn't afford the black gas cap...

But I have another indication for a GT/J: The serial # should start with 79 and the interior color code should be 451 (flat black vinyl) instead of 751.

Udo Boernemann from Splendid Parts has a pretty good article about GT/J's (in German):

Splendid Parts - GT/J ! SPEZIAL !

Dieter (2)
Dieter, think you've hit the nail on the head there. I knew someone had done a comprehensive 'GT/J' identification article.....i didn't fancy writing it all down, having owned 2 GT/J's you tend to take these things as second nature. Sadly neither of mine had the original fuel cap and my father tells me that his original GT/J back in the early '70's had his fuel cap stollen shortly after he purchased it........i guess it the GT/J fuel cap predated the Beastie Boys / VW badge :yup:

For me i'm more inclined to think the GT/J that Opelspyder has been offered is more of a mixed up GT A L than an outright GT/J and it must of had a rear axle change as i'm sure all the European GT's had anti-roll bars, i could be wrong but i've never come across a European GT without anti-roll bars. The door cards also don't sound right as the GT/J has a plain vinyl rather than indented patternation as found on the GT A L.

If i were offered it for $400 i'd be taking it even if just for spares, but if you're looking to make a genuine 'J' it's going to take a lot of work to source the missing parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.