Opel GT Forum banner

Potential Run of Reproduction Factory Service Manuals

7K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  jak133 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was originally "Motherload of Manuals Found". Old Hippie suggested reproductions of these manuals. I think this is a great idea, if you feel the same please read through to my next post below for details.

Back when Opels were still being sold in the U.S., my father was a mechanic at a Buick dealership in New York. As the story goes, he was the only one at the dealership with a metric wrench set, and therefore was elected to be the "Opel Guy". He went through the gambut of General Motors training schools so he could repair those weird motors with the cam in the head, the crossed up wiring schematics and those tiny little carburetors. Now fast forward 34 years and after several relocations, almost as many career changes, and a son that thinks Opels are the greatest thing since go-karts. This weeked while attempting to clean the basement (it's a lost cause), my father found what he believes to be most of his General Motors training manuals. He was kind enough to forward them over to me, and now I have a very healthy collection of original factory service manuals, training manuals, and bulletins. Check out this list:

• 1968-1971 Opel 1.9 Liter Engine Tune-up Guide
  • Laboratory Guide for the Opel 1.9 Liter Engine Carb
  • Opel Carburetion and Tune-up Training Manual (x 4)
  • 1969 Opel Kadett Automatic Transmission Service Manual
  • Opel Kadett Three Speed Automatic Transmission Training Manual
  • Opel Buick Training Manual for Manual Transmissions, Clutches and Shift Linkages (x 2)
  • Opel Parts Requisition Form for 1969-1972 Opel 3 Speed Automatic Transmission (I wonder what kind of reaction I would get if I showed up at the local Buick dealership with this form completed and expected them to order the parts...)
  • Opel Manual Transmission Training Manual Supplement
  • Rear Axle and Rear Suspension Opel Buick Training Manual (x 2)
  • Steering & Brakes Opel Buick Training Manual
  • Opel Engine (that's all the cover says, contains very basic information, almost no specs, but some real nice cut-away diagrams)
  • 1968 Opel Kadett Service Manual
  • 1969 Opel Kadett & GT Service Manual
  • 1972 Opel Factory Service Manual (all cars)

Wow, that's a lot of information. There should be another box somewhere in the house... I can only imagine what treasures are in there.

Let me know if there is any interest in the duplicates.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
hmmm... I shouldn't say that I am surprised at the reaction of everyone that has responded. I should have been more clear about what I was offering up for sale. The items below are the duplicates that I have out of this set, those are the only originals that are up for sale right now. Anyone interested in these originals feel free to make an offer, I am not sure what they worth but will be investigating today.

• Opel Carburetion and Tune-up Training Manual (3 available)
  • Opel Buick Training Manual for Manual Transmissions, Clutches and Shift Linkages (1 available)
  • Rear Axle and Rear Suspension Opel Buick Training Manual (1 available)

Also, Hippie made a good point about getting some of these reproduced. It happens that I have some free time available that I could dedicate to such a project. The "1972 Opel Factory Service Manual" for all cars is probably going to be the most popular as there only a few changes through the US years.

If this project is going to be successful, I am going to need the Opel public to tell me:

• Which manuals have the greatest interest in repro's (I wouldn't want to have a run made of a manual that only two people are interested in)
  • How many people are interested
  • How many copies would each person want
  • How much are people willing to pay

This could potentially get pretty big, but let's see what the reaction is first and we'll go from there. Please post your responses here in this thread, not in PM's or e-mails, that way all of the information is in one place. Also, if you talk to anyone else interested in Opels that might be interested (from other sites, clubs, or non-internet), let them know... as always, the more people interested, the lower the price.

#6 ·
Being a firm believer in never having too much reference material I would be interested in having one of all the duplicates, and repros of the 1968-1971 Opel 1.9 Liter Engine Tune-up Guide, the Steering & Brakes Opel Buick Training Manual, and the Opel Engine (real nice cut-away diagrams).
Naturally this all depends on 'library costs' that I can talk the Mr. into. Considering he's doing a lion share of the work he shoudn't mind, right? ;)

#9 ·
madhatterpdc said:
  • 1968-1971 Opel 1.9 Liter Engine Tune-up Guide
  • Opel Carburetion and Tune-up Training Manual (x 4)
  • Opel Buick Training Manual for Manual Transmissions, Clutches and Shift Linkages (x 2)
  • Opel Manual Transmission Training Manual Supplement
  • Rear Axle and Rear Suspension Opel Buick Training Manual (x 2)
  • Steering & Brakes Opel Buick Training Manual
  • Opel Engine (that's all the cover says, contains very basic information, almost no specs, but some real nice cut-away diagrams)
Well, the manuals above would be interesting to me.

Also, I re-named this thread to what madhatterpdc suggested. Then, I moved it to the "Opels Tips and Tricks" Forum, as I didn't want it to get lost.

And as it happens, I have been QUITE successful in acquiring surplus Opel FSM's on eBay lately. I have a full set for myself: 1968 Kadett, '69 Opel & GT, '70, '71, '72, '73, '74, '75 Supplement, and various aftermarket manuals. And as luck would have it, I have also got (or will be receiving shortly) several spares, including a '68 Kadett FSM, two '71's, a '72, a '74 and two '75 supplements. I bought these mainly to make them available to less fortunate Opeler's, for somewhat LESS than some of our overly-optimistic Opel retailers in Southern California might think they are worth.

So when I get them and figure out for sure what I have surplus, I will list them here as well (or maybe through the ad board) for members to acquire.

#10 ·
Thank you Keith for changing the thread title.

I have recieved multiple e-mails regarding the purchase of the manuals that I have offered for sale (and some of them simultaneous). The only fair way that I know of would be to auction them off. Don't worry, I won't be going through ebay. I'm pretty sure that Gary mentioned that the new classifieds program has an auction feature so I will be investigating that route first. If not that, then I will start a new thread for bids like the trans and engine that were recently listed (I forget who the user was).

Keith, I am interested in one of the '75 supplements that you have. I noticed that you are interested in the Carb and Tune-up Manual. Since I have multiple originals of that one, are you interested in a trade?

One last question, who would I contact to check on copyright protection of these manuals? (and thanks to Dmcbrass for pointing that out).

#11 ·
madhatterpdc said:
Keith, I am interested in one of the '75 supplements that you have. I noticed that you are interested in the Carb and Tune-up Manual. Since I have multiple originals of that one, are you interested in a trade?
I think that could be arranged. I was notified tonight that the two shipments of Opel FSM's have been sent, so when they arrive, I will drop you a line to set up the swap. Thanks!

#12 ·
You might want to have people 'compete' for the 'highest donation' by bidding with a 'gift' of a manual for the winner (it would be awfully kind if you would mention which manual - just for the benefit of the participants of course, not for any sales purpose ;) ) thereby not selling anything that might be copyrighted. Or something similar. The donation could be for the preservation of a historic vehicle, couldn't it? Like yours maybe?:D

#16 ·
Scanned Manual

Actually this has already been done. A 1973 manual was unbound and scanned awhile back. The file is just under 18M in pdf format. I have a copy of the file I could post, but I don't think Gary would appreciate a file that large appearing without some prior approval. Incedently I can't (and don't) take credit for the work that was done.

Darrin

#17 ·
I don't know if this thread is still actual but have any manuals been scanned and put on the internet, I'm a tech info nut just like the electrocuted army robot "need input, need input"
if there out there where kan I find them??
and if there here on the forum where are they hiding??

#19 ·
Did that ever get fixed? Last I knew it still was missing the color pages and the PDF. format was not printable after download. Might want to find somebody with one of the original sets on CD since they worked well and had the color drawings added back in. I'm pretty sure there are a few out there. I can give a list of names of people that have them if that helps. Ya I have thier addresses and phone numbers too.:lmao:

#20 ·
nobody said:
Did that ever get fixed? Last I knew it still was missing the color pages and the PDF. format was not printable after download.
The one in the Downloads section is in .PDF format and is complete. The other version that some had problems printing was in .SWF.

#21 ·
That's great, I hadn't checked it lately so I was going from memory. I just knew that Ron, Jared, Gene,Dean and Liz had full versions with the added back pages. Sorta hit both coasts and in the middle it seems. The original PDF version was missing the electrical drawings so they had to be added later.

#22 ·
What about donating them to the OMC Blitz for publication there.. (Forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

BTW, I have a number of training material in a book I got at Springfield I have been meaning to scan, etc..

The list:

1 page - 1968-1971 Opel 1.9L Engine Tune Up Guide

(Oct. 1970) 60 pg. booklet - Opel Carburetion and Tune Up - Opel Training Manual

(Oct 1970) 62 pg booklet - Opel Electrical - Opel Training Manual

(Oct 1970) 22 pg. Booklet - Opel Rear Axle & Rear suspension - Opel Training Manual

4 8x11 cars (double sided) - 1969-1971 Opel Automatic Tranmission (ITs a blow up af all the parts of the tranny with parts numbers, a bit more detailed than the parts book)

56 page booklet - Opel Kadett 3 speed automatic transmission - Opel Training Manual

32 page booklet - Engines - Buick training manual (no date, about Opels and Opel logo on cover)

(October 1970) 23 page booket - Opel Engine

Bunch of wiring diagrams and Opel compition comparison charts.

104 page booklet - Opel Manual Transmissions, Clutches, and shift linkages
Buick training manual.

#24 ·
BQS4 said:
Erick;
There is the 73 FSM in .pdf form for downloading in the "downloads" section of this site
:veryhappy I al ready downloaded that, but I'm drouling for the rest :D and that what GoinManta wrote down three answers ago :banana: please let there be more!!!!!! also because I've never heard of those manuals here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.