Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
powdercoating BBS

Just a general question of powdercoating BBS rims and or center caps. I have 14 inch BBSs on my car. When I got them new there were no center caps. I have looked everywhere and the only place that has them is BBS in Atlanta. They are extremely proud of them and I have been reluctant to pay that price. I see them for sale all the time in silver at reasonable prices. What does everybody think of the idea of powder coating them to match my gold rims?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Cap Coating

Those BBS centre caps are made of aluminium and have been anodized which is an oxide coating with coloured dye added in a plating process peculiar to alloy items.

I my experience almost any sort of paint eventually falls off due to lack of adhesion to the extremely smooth and unreactive finish on them.

It may be possible to re-anodize them gold over the silver but that would need the expertise of someone familiar with the process - any experts out there?

·
Opeler
30 Posts
You could remove the plating by glass beading them. That would also give the part some texture for the powder to adhere to.
Bob

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Finding the correct powder mix to match your wheels would be the next problem. Once the powder is baked it is difficult to remove.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I would mind if they were just a touch off in color. From BBS the 4 are over 200, used are around 80 to 100 add powder coating and I still get out of this a little easier. These rims don't look anodized I'm real familiar with that process and results. It looks and acts like a thicker coating of some sort. I think the next time I get a chance at some I'll go for it. If they turn out too bad I suppose I could do both the rims and centers in a blood red to match the car. Either way I don't think those pretty new discs will be visible through them, too bad.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Dave;
I might be able to track you down a set of those caps. Are they the ones that cover the lug nut area and lock in place with a 1/4 turn?
Gene

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be the ones. What I need are 4 for the same type as the BMW except in gold. I also know they have to be for the 14 inch, other sizes won't fit.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Dave;
I know that they are for 14", I had a set of 4 years ago, never used them, but, had all 4 caps too. But, before you ask, I don't have the wheels or caps any more.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Somewhere I've seen, and I'm not quite sure where, supposed 'factory' touch-up paints for BBS wheels in various shades of silver and gold. It might be Griot's Garage or some other upscale supplier. HTH.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
VHT

The people who make the hi-temp manifold paint - VHT - used to make a gold magwheel spray in the days before factory gold mags were available ....

.....yep. Still available: VHT Wheel Paint - Gold (SP182)
They do a fine line of Brake, Caliper, Drum and Rotor Paint too so that those discs will show through the wheels: Racing Red, Bright Blue, Orange, Gloss Black, Cast Aliuminium, Bright Yellow & Satin Black.

What more could you ask for?!:p

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been working on the center cap issue a bit today and this is where it sits. There was a set of 4 in good shape on Ebay I was watching. Time comes up for the auction to end and I win them. Thats a good thing, now I look real hard into the paint or powder coat side of it. It's a mess, now winning the auction, it's a bad thing. I look on the web and find mention of a paint made by Wurth that is an exact match for BBS gold, It's a good thing. I call paint suppliers, auto body shops, Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagon and Subaru dealers and everybody thinks I've lost my mind. Ok matching paint, It's a bad thing. I found another powder coating company who is sure they can match it. Minimum single job price is 150. Powder coating the centers, It's a bad thing. I called Keystone, they repair wheels of every variety. They tell me I need to bring in all 4 rims and centers and they will do the whole thing with a paint mix they do only for on site work. I didn't even ask how much, I could tell, I'ts a bad thing. I was going to ask here if anybody has a source for a matching color, before I get really creative and attempt my own custom color mix. Then again I could set them around the house upside down as kind of an automotive motif and call them ash trays. All right maybe I've worked on this a bit too much today, or maybe I should stop watching the news about Martha Stewart. The original plan seemed like a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts