Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Living in the past
2,329 Posts
power steering pump

can you put a power steering pump on a 1971 Opel GT
In order for power steering to operate you need a power steering rack & pinion and none were made for the Opel GT or Kadette. I don't know if they were available in europe after-market but I have never seen one.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,222 Posts
In order for power steering to operate you need a power steering rack & pinion and none were made for the Opel GT or Kadette. I don't know if they were available in europe after-market but I have never seen one.
No, they were not. Every once in a while a DIY conversion can be looked at at a meeting, but I doubt that you'll find more than a handful conversions on the Opel planet.

Dieter

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,545 Posts
A Gt is so small I dont really think it would be nesssecasry for P.S. Not to mention, to try and fit a pump and what nots in there would be quite the challenge! Why do you want it?
Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i love my opel GTs

it is not for me its for my wifes GT she asked me if there was a way to put one on i said i dont thank so but i will ask you guys

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,545 Posts
aaahh I see. She must be having a problem turning the wheel at a standstill...best might want to remind her to only crank the wheel when she's moving!! Problem solved!!:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i love my opel GTs

Thats true very true they are somewhat a pain to turn when you sitting still

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
As Heimue said.....not available as an option on the European GT.....apart from the one released in 2007 lol.

I do have a suggestion and that's to use the 'electric PS' set up from the modern Corsa, that's what a lot of the rallying boys are doing.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Moderator Note: Thread moved to "3B - Steering: Linkage, Column and Gear Box"

You're not having much luck with posting in the correct place! The GT Forum is reserved for questions specifically related to the model (same for Kadett/Manta/Ascona Forums) that wouldn't be better asked in the Technical Forums. Simply, if every question relating to a GT was asked in the GT Forum, members would never find anything. Most threads belong in the appropriate Technical Forum, NOT the GT Forum.

And, a search is ALWAYS better than starting a new thread. This question has come up at least a couple of times, and IIRC, at least one member HAS installed a power steering setup in a GT. Try a search, or look through the relevant Forum (which is why we are concerned about threads being in the correct Forum).

As a favour, here is a very good thread on the subject.
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/3b-steering-linkage-column-gear-box/2074-power-steering-gt.html
I think that there [is] are at least a couple of other threads if you go looking.

HTH

·
Registered
18 Posts
Moderator Note: Thread moved to "3B - Steering: Linkage, Column and Gear Box"

You're not having much luck with posting in the correct place! The GT Forum is reserved for questions specifically related to the model (same for Kadett/Manta/Ascona Forums) that wouldn't be better asked in the Technical Forums. Simply, if every question relating to a GT was asked in the GT Forum, members would never find anything. Most threads belong in the appropriate Technical Forum, NOT the GT Forum.

And, a search is ALWAYS better than starting a new thread. This question has come up at least a couple of times, and IIRC, at least one members HAS installed a power steering setup in a GT. Try a search, or look through the relevant Forum (which is why we are concerned about threads being in the correct Forum).

As a favour, here is a very good thread on the subject.
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/3b-steering-linkage-column-gear-box/2074-power-steering-gt.html
I think that there is at least a couple of other threads if you go looking.

HTH
OH i see now ok i think i see what you r talking about sorry about the trouble

·
Living in the past
2,329 Posts
GT Power steering

Back in the day, our answer to easier turning on a manual box was to fit a larger steering wheel. Are any available for the GT? Rich
If you can get your hands on one, a Manta Ralley steering wheel is larger than the GT wheel and will bolt right on, it has the same spline and you can also make the horn work by hooking the wire to the Manta wheel. It make a nice conversion if you can find one in good condition.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Power Steering

Howdy All!
Power steering in a GT is an easy task which should take you about 1/2 day to do. The trick is finding the components and having a bracket made for the pump. Otherwise all fits in like a glove.

You first find a rack unit from an early chevette which I have seen al over Ebay for $80. Try to also purchase the hoses from the chevette unit since you will need them and they are very cheap. The next step is to buy a fat man fabricators pump which is a little pricey but it is small and it fits anywhere. You now mount the rack in the same location using all of the same hardware from the Opel rack since they are the same length, same mounting points and bushings. You can reuse the existing tie rod ends since the rack has the same thread.

One problem is the return hose which you might have to bend the pipe slightly to clear the crossmember. The second problem is that for the early style rack, there are two different types of joints which might require a different universal joint. The universal unit is from Borgerson, the cost is $49 and is made for a 3/4" DD style rod.

Otherwise, everything else attaches the same way. I have done this conversion in the past and it is a good as factory installed units.

·
Super Moderator
13,701 Posts
Howdy All!
Power steering in a GT is an easy task which should take you about 1/2 day to do. The trick is finding the components and having a bracket made for the pump. Otherwise all fits in like a glove.

You first find a rack unit from an early chevette which I have seen al over Ebay for $80. Try to also purchase the hoses from the chevette unit since you will need them and they are very cheap.
This is news to me...but good news! Do you know what years had this? I've tinkered with some Chevettes in the past but they were all manual racks. I've been trying to find a suitable-width power rack and pinion for my father's GT for some time now, and was narrowing it down to either E30 series BMW or first gen. Miata. But a Chevette should be damn near perfect in terms of inner tie rod width (to avoid bump steer issues).

Bob

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,222 Posts
You first find a rack unit from an early chevette which I have seen al over Ebay for $80. Try to also purchase the hoses from the chevette unit since you will need them and they are very cheap.
JB, that is great information! Can you please specify the year/model of Chevette, I might be interested to do this conversion on my Manta.

Thanks,
Dieter

·
boomerang opeler
5,633 Posts
im sure there was a dutch or german member doing kits a couple of years ago , every thing to do a gt or kadett in one pack

some searching should find it

·
Super Moderator
9,716 Posts
Baz;
It was the guy with the real nice red Targa, but, that "kit" was about $3K:eek:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The chevette rack fits nicely with minor mods. I know because my '72 has one installed but I don't remember what the mods amounted to. The rack has to come from a '76 through '78 chevette scooter and most of the suspension bushings used on this car can be used on a GT. Here is a picture of the rack, you will see the similarities off the bat. It even used slightly wider rack bushings and same mounting location.

I also experimented with a mustang II rack which I adapted to a '70 for a customer. The mustang manual rack moved the front wheels with no effort at all while standing still. With this rack, you need to modify the bottom of the radiator support to clear the rack body. Other than that, weld in two new rack mounts, cut the threaded rods on the rack for proper length, get a 3/4" DD shaft and you are ready to go.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts