Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opeler
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperately seeking information about power steering.
I´ve become slightly (but permanently) handicapped and must have power steering to be able to drive my GT.
Any ideas,anyone?
Has it been done before?
Thank you

·
299 Posts
just for an idea i know toyota uses some skinny powersteering racks but i dont know for what car exactly and they have a preety compact ps pump but as far as if its been done i cant help you

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
speedy said:
I´ve become slightly (but permanently) handicapped and must have power steering to be able to drive my GT.
Any ideas,anyone?
Has it been done before?
Thank you
I've seen it done to a Manta A, but not a GT. The key factors to consider if you're seriously looking at doing this is:

>The rack and pinion from the donor vehicle must be a 'front steer' rack and pinion. That is, it must originally have been situated in front of the crossmember.

>The donor rack and pinion's width (from inner tie rod to inner tie rod) should match those of the Opel GT. Otherwise bump-steer will be a serious issue.

>The input pinion should at least be in the same vicinity as the one on the GT. Some leeway is acceptable, as you can always add another universal joint to the column to compensate a bit.

>You will need a custom pulley from the crankshaft to drive the power steering pump...perhaps you could find a lower pulley from an air conditioned Opel.

Bob

·
Opel GT Targa Driver
77 Posts
Power Steering in a GT

Maybe I have the solution for power steering in a GT. I have installed it in mine '73 GT. I am from the Netherlands so my technical English is not so good, but I'm doing my best, anyway it is a rack and pinion system and its made from original Opel parts.
It is complete with pomp, pulley, hoses and manual. it works perfectly and it drives great but there are one or two problems, the cost are reasonable high (about $ 3000) and there is a minimum of 3 sets per delivery to the US, otherwise the cost will be higher. The whole system is under guaranty and is approved by the Dutch APK, like the TUV in Germany.

Greeting Tom v/d Kroft

Attachments

·
Opeler
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information.
Do you mean that somebody makes these to sell?
Are they new?
Did you mean $300 or $3000?
I´m in Sweden.

Thanks again
Speedy:)

·
Opel GT Targa Driver
77 Posts
Power Steering

Yes I mean the are for sell and the price is about $ 3000. It's a custom made product for different types of Opel motors build in a GT. All the parts are new or almost new. I develop the hole system myself to use for my own car but there came a lot of response of it, so i decided to make and sell more, it takes no more then 6 hours to install the whole system in your car.

Tom

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
was going to say they were not legal for road use(the motorsport 1) and then reread the site
they are legal but you need a late model corsa with electronic power steering to use them on and they are mucho grande wonga plus they are made 3 mile from me and a pal of mine who worked there said the fail rate on the twr originals is high

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Z car guys have used a couple successfully. The 240Z is also front steer, and the 2 vehicles look to be fairly similar set ups.
Mazda Miata and Subaru WRX are the 2 I have seen used successfully. You would likely need to fab up some new mount brakets for the rack, and some new hoses made, and mount the pump.........a place to start anyways......

Tim

·
Opel GT Targa Driver
77 Posts
baz said:
was going to say they were not legal for road use(the motorsport 1) and then reread the site
they are legal but you need a late model corsa with electronic power steering to use them on and they are mucho grande wonga plus they are made 3 mile from me and a pal of mine who worked there said the fail rate on the twr originals is high
Baz, belief me I’ve try almost everything including the electric version, witch is way too complicated and to big anyway, not mention the cost!
The Miata rack is for the American market the best option. I now a guy over here who’s working on one. I let you now when it’s ready/working.

Tom

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Gosh Thom, I sure wish your site was in English.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
Thom71GT said:
Gosh Thom, I sure wish your site was in English.
thom theres a union jack flag for english (its where it comes from :D :D )
in the red bar on the top of the page

·
Vendor
2,941 Posts
speedy said:
Any ideas,anyone?
Has it been done before?
Thank you
Speedy,
They managed to stuff a PS pump AND a turbo in this GT. I don't know much about the setup (even though I used to own this car :rolleyes: ) It was virtually undocumented when I got it. Maybe Paul has done some more detective work.
New one - Opel Photo Gallery
Ron in Indy

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts

·
188 Posts
my chief over here in japan put on a electric power steering system in his datson blue bird. its pretty cool. it has a computer that you can mount just about anywhere just as long as you have enough wire. but it has a dail to where you can set how much torque you want on the steering. its supost to be a universal kit. but i know universal kits dont always work for the opel gt. i dont remember the name of the company who made it though. il try and ask my chief if i see him and let you know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts