Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all-

I have an early '67 Kadett Coupe (the "Opile" Lemons race car) and want to make sure I am setting up the front wheel bearings correctly. It has spherical ball bearings and they look pretty tiny to me so I'm using very expensive hi pressure grease to hopefully help them last longer. My question is how much pre-load do these kind of bearings need? I don't have a manual that gives me the bearing nut torque so I'm a bit in the dark here.

Right now I have them set up snug with zero play and a tiny bit of drag. Is this too tight? I've never dealt with spherical ball wheel bearings before. Most cars after the 60's had tapered rollers and those are much stronger.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,457 Posts
Hello all-

I have an early '67 Kadett Coupe (the "Opile" Lemons race car) and want to make sure I am setting up the front wheel bearings correctly. It has spherical ball bearings and they look pretty tiny to me so I'm using very expensive hi pressure grease to hopefully help them last longer. My question is how much pre-load do these kind of bearings need? I don't have a manual that gives me the bearing nut torque so I'm a bit in the dark here.

Right now I have them set up snug with zero play and a tiny bit of drag. Is this too tight? I've never dealt with spherical ball wheel bearings before. Most cars after the 60's had tapered rollers and those are much stronger.

Thanks
Why don’t you swap over to later Kadett/GT stuff? Easily accessible tapered bearings.

While you’re at it, throw on some GT steering arms too. Shorter = quicker steering.

Reactions: Commodåren

·
Registered
690 Posts
Swapping to spindles and hubs from a CIH equipped Kadett or GT opens up the availability of brakes too. The original Kadett ohv calipers have a narrower bolt spacing which makes calipers hard to find.

·
Opel Key Master
5,014 Posts
Better to have them on the loose side than on the tight side. But from the sound of it, I would say you are okay. If you put the wheel on and spin it, it should spin fairly well but then slow up after 3 revolutions.

Also I have those bearings and seals new if you ever need them, they are hard to find, and different. He would need to swap out lower control arms as well and tierods as they are different too, and smaller

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input everyone. I will try and find some GT spindles and hubs to convert to. Better brakes, bearings, steering, and tie rod ends seems like enough to make it worth it. Now I just have to find someone with a GT they are taking apart....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts