Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opel fabrication parts for sale?

This is just my opinion but i think since the v6 camaro conversion is so popular and some people custom fabricated items that ae durable and can be recreated exactly why doesnt opel gt source contact the fabricaters and sell the items as bolt ons that would make the conversion a walk in the park?

Just think about it you can say hey ill order all the conversion stuff from gil at opel gt source buy a motor and i can put it all toghther in one day ( which is really all you need if you have everything ready to be installed) wouldnt that be great?

Your opinions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think this is an excellent idea. Granny's Speed Shop in Washington does the same thing for V8 RX-7 transplants, and V8 Archie's does the same for Fiero's. It's time the GT had the same opportunities. These companies include swap instructions with their kits, so OGTS would have to do some consulting with those who have done the swap, but it would definitely be worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
not do-able in a day

Even if Gil had a pair of cross members, a new set of pedals, a new driveshaft, a wiring harness, a new set of headers and exhaust, an oil pan, motor mounts, oil filter relocater kit, pulleys, alternator and AC brackets, radiator, cooling fan, and all the sheet metal pre-cut and bent, it would not be a weekend swap. The cutting and welding of the firewall and cowl would just take too long. For all of that stuff to be of the build quality Gil would be willing to sell, youl'd be looking at an easy $1000+ for a "kit."

Then there's the matter of which v-6 to use. I have 4 in the garage, 3 of them '89's and none of them have the same injection, distributer, computer, or even mounting bolt holes on the block. Two of them even have the starter on the wrong side. The kit would have to be for a very specific year, make, and model of motor, which means you'd end-up spending another $1200 getting that particular motor or at least it's pieces/ parts to put on the one you've got.

Gil would probably rather sell you a 2.4 so you could keep it Opel powered for that kind of outlay.

Just my $.02.

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
You hit the nail on the head, Oldopelguy. Gil is an Opel enthusiast, he prefers to keep the drivelines 'Opel'. He can't sell you parts for your Chevy engine, right? Nope, he makes a living selling Opel parts. He also would not sell anything he didn't have a chance to fully test himself.

I used to be the 'guinea pig' for a lot of his reproduction parts. He knew I was crewing/racing a fleet of Opels, so I used to get new parts from him for me to flog for 3-6 months, and then I'd give him feedback/evaluations.

I'm surprised no one on this list who has done the swap has come forward with a 'kit' for this swap, at least as a 'hobby' business.

I've considered making a few parts here and there as a hobby business (things like a GT turbo kit, or turbo exhaust manifolds, or proper Opel headers, Saturn engine swap kit, etc), but I already have enough 'hobbies' to keep me busy for life.....

Perhaps a 'less occupied' person could come up with an engine swap kit though.

Bob

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
You guys have related to a lot of the problems on the V-6 mod. One being, there are different size engines from 2.8 to 3.4, some carburated, some with distributor, some front wheel drive, some rear wheel drive. And it appears, unless I misread somewhere along the line, different T-5s, other than the gearshift location. I've got the latest RWD 95 3.4 SFI with an 88 bellhousing and a 92 S-10 T-5. My engine sits lower and farther back than the carbed and distributor engine, so I had to cut the wiper well and foot well back further. It's a snug fit to say the least on the driver's side and a Fiero type exhaust or log manifold is going to be needed. Different engines will require different fuel delivery systems. You can't use a 70 psi pump on a carbed engine or a 3 psi pump on an SFI engine, plus plumbing and filtration. There are too many variables. Here's an example: I lost the motor mounts of my 75 monza with the 350/350. Any 350 mount should work, the small block has been around for years right. Wrong, the mounts are no longer being made for this car as of 15 years ago and are not stocked anywhere. Luckily there is a Canadian that is using the original vulcanizing process to rebuild engine mount cores and make them better with aircraft hardware for $125 a set plus core and shipping. The point is, although the engine is a basic design with normal upgrades, not all applications will need the same stuff for a transplant. Even the basics, like subframes won't work because of the engine placement in the engine bay, and it's compounded from there back. I'm doing the tutorial on how I'm doing my mod, just to give others a reference, nothing more. And I've been working on this for over a year, doing a kinda restoration as I go. Gil at OGTS has given me a lot of support finding Opel parts only on this. And I appreciate his expertise and support. If you want to do a transplant, read the fun and games I had so far in Phase I that's in My Journal, and Phase II in the download section on this site under Opel technical notes. Then you can start with the basic subframes like I made then go from there.

Ron

·
315 Posts
Simple business realities:

Gil (OGTS) and I were collaborating on a V6 swap a few years ago. We settled on the most available V6 Chevy. Then we determined how long it would take to design, fabricate, make jigs, write instructions, and do everything necessary to make a "kit"... we figured 500 hours minimum. Add to this the cost of a "guinea pig" GT for the project along the V6 engine with all the stuff to go with it. Add to this the initial cost to produce the kit... a minimum of 10 at a time would be required to keep the manufacturing cost down. Next is a WAG (wild-ass-guess) on cost to sell with a reasonable profit... $1000+ is low (A truly complete kit from V8-Archie costs over $3000.

So, the reality is that at least $15K - $20K... (probably more including labor... we do have to eat) would have to be invested. Then sell 2 or 3 a year... even selling the first 10 would not get back to break even.

The other consideration is that at least 1/2 of such projects end up going to the crusher. There's just not that many people who have the skills to take a saws-all to their car and then put it back together properly

So, from a business standpoint, it does not make sense. Does this have the potential for a "group buy"?... everyone knows I'm a "sucker" for trying to put together group buys. So, I'll say maybe... but not likely.

·
2,054 Posts
V6 Conversion

Guys - got some questions here.

I'm, on the fence about doing a stock rebuild on the existing 1.9, moderate tweakage of the 1.9 to obtain slightly higher performance, or going all-out and transplanting a big engine in it.

We all dream of lots-o-performance where we blow away rice-rockets, pony cars, and of course the camero/firebird crowd. But is this a realistic dream?

Can the Opel GT (sorry to say - but an inexpensively manufactured unibody) actually handle the stresses involved?

Or is the reality we end up with a badly-handling, front-heavy, over-heating, constant maintenance headache?

It sounds reasonable that a small V6 transplant could be expected to bump up performance while maintaining the GT's handling/dependability. But I've never tries it?

So for you brave lads that have gone before us, has it worked for you? And have your expectations been met?

I'm not asking about difficulty, unexpected crises? But give me the end result. Did it work?

·
315 Posts
I'm afraid that you have described the reality of 90% of the "transplants"... "badly-handling, front-heavy, over-heating, constant maintenance headache"... that's of those that get "finished" and back on the road.

That said, the other 10% turn out well. The major differences being... in order of importance... the patience of the builder, the $$$ the builder puts into it to do it right, the planning of the builder, and the fabrication skills of the builder.

Patience because it takes 6 times longer (at least) to do it than anyone ever imagines... four times the cost you ever figure... you only get one chance when you start cutting and hacking... few people are truly skilled fabricators.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yeah, I'll second that too. At least the part about having or not having the skills to do the job correctly. Which is why I've contracted out the welding to build the dollies and subframes, and also to close up the holes I cut in the body. The rear-end was built up by the pros here inSANe DIEGO, same with the drive shaft. I've got some mechanical skills, 45 years working on jet aircraft, including the world's fastest, highest flying production aircraft in the world, both in the USAF and for the Navy. So I can disassemble and reassemble stuff with directions. I've also built and raced nitro-burning model boats. You've got to use the best stuff available, you can't go second best on replacement parts. The big thing like TGSI states is the planning and patience. I've got over a year on this project and just got the engine in the hole. There's a lot more to do with this project, I've got to get the fuel, electrical, exhaust, driveline, sorted out yet and that's just the mechanical stuff. Aesthetics is next after everything else functions. I figure maybe by next month I can run the engine in the car, if things go right. I've got close to maybe $2500 in the car to date with another $2000-$3000 to go, and that's not counting the labor time for me. Be sure you want to undertake the job, think about it a while longer, then if you still want to do it go for it. But remember it won't be a week-end job.

Ron

·
179 Posts
I have been conteplating the v6 swap for about a year now... My Challenger is almost finished and the time is looming near for me to make the "go" - "no go" decision. I really like the looks of the GT but the speed aspect does not impress me. I don't know that there are really alternatives to the v6 swap when it comes to wanting to be quicker.

It sounds like @$5000 for the v6 swap including suspension upgrades (subframe, ford 8 in axle, etc.)

Is there an alternative to the v6 swap where a 1.9 or 2.4 is used to get @250 hp? Realizing that some of the $$$ would still need to be used for subframe and axle stuff... will $2500 buy you a 250 hp bolt-in?

·
315 Posts
NO.

But then unless you do all of the fabricaion and structrual welding, along with all the labor yourself $5000 will not put a V6 (or almost any other swap) into the car. Let's face it. For the skilled labor you will need to do this kind of work, $5000 won't buy you 100 hours... and the project will take much more than 100 hours.

·
2,054 Posts
V6 Transplant

Lots of good information - Thanks

Well, let's see if I fit the profile for a successful transplant candidate.

patience of the builder - nope, that's not me

$$$ the builder puts into it to do it right - got the bucks, but not the gonads to tell my wife I'm dumping that kind of money into a project like this - so, nope, that's not me.

the planning of the builder - maybe, 'probably not

and the fabrication skills of the builder - 'fraid not.

All right boys - looks like I'm getting a 1.9 with upgraded ignition, breathing, fuel delivery, exhaust, and I'll put the money into creature comfort & appearance.

Again, thanks for the input.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
anyone ever think of putting a viper v-12 in a gt if seen it done to a jeep wrangler once it would be awsome to put one into a gt though.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
There was a GT for sale on eBay several months ago that had a P-51 Mustang V-12 Allison engine in it. (I think the spec was the Allison, not the Merlin) It looked like a stretch limo as long as the guy had to make it. The front of the engine was right up between the two seats. (had to be loud for the driver)

I can't find any pictures on it, but you might do some searching on the Internet.

It was built in the late 70's and ran at airshows.

No way it would corner with any speed.

I would say the same with your inquiry about a V-10. You won't be able to hold a corner. Too much mass!

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Thanks to the "Professional" folks for their information. I, like Ron (aka. namba209), am a retired and experienced military metal man and this conversation has made me re-think some things:
1) just how much speed do I really need?
2) how much time do I want to invest?
3) how much money?
4) do I want to have a daily driver or a racecar that likes gas?

All of these considerations are at the heart of the transplant theory. With the price of parts, experimenting material and, most importantly, unaccounted-for personal time, a 2.4 in a beautifully re-done Gt sounds better in the long run.

my 2 cents.
Barry

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I would have loved to get a DOHC 2.4 engine like Gil at OGTS has. In fact way before I started this project, I asked him about getting one. His reply was that they are way more expensive than a new car and also not available here in the U.S. or anywhere else, in good condition. That was the main reason for going with the V-6/T-5 mod. As I've said before, I don't want to go any faster in my GT, I just want to get there quicker. In my opinion, a box stock SFI 3.4 V-6 will get me to my goal. If not, being a box stock engine, there will room for improvement. That and I really enjoy the challenge of doing stuff like this. Plus if it helps others to make an educated decision in this arena, so much the better. Good or bad, this has been a great experience, so far. If it works, hello icing on the cake. If it doesn't work, well, I've got a 1.9 engine that needs to be rebuilt. And I've got 3 dremels that could use some excercise. Something about boundary layer flow pops into my mind. That and having a Honda CL72 that turned the 1/4 mile in 13.8 at 140 mph back in the late 60s. Ahhh memories.

Ron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts