1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ebay Opel GT $1028.00
transport costs $500.00
Extra radiator $75.00

Owning perhaps the only Opel GT that has never had cancer.....
PRICELESS!!!

Just returned from San Francisco with my "new to me" Opel GT. It was only driven for 7 years or so and has been covered in the dry air for the rest of the time except for about a year and a half uncovered in the harsh desert and 5 years outside of san Francisco.
The car needs a new interior but the body has NO CANCER. Only surface rust in the original battery tray.
Gonna strip the car and repaint it. Add an interior. Hopefully show it off this fall.

Anybody wishing to see this car:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/askforginger/album?.dir=/add0

No, I am not trying to sell it. I am just peased as punch!

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts
side pipes!

:D That's a beauty!! hey if you are thinking of going stock or something like that and you want to get rid of the side pipes!! I'm in the market for some!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
man thats sweet. I love rust free cars. That battery tray is in better condition then they one I owned (it had a little more surface rust there.)

If I was ever in the market for a gt again I'd have to have one like yours.

Sean

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, the side pipes are there to stay. They were put on the car when it was bought new. The exhaust was modified as a true split pipe conversion. The car has (as far as I can tell) never had stock exhaust. Part of the project involves removing the pipes and having them rechromed.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Envy! Jealousy!

Nice one! Had a look at your pics and it looks realy sound.

Took me 14 months and much dinero to get my GT substantially rust free.

BTW I noticed yours has an unusual carb conversion - looks like a 1bbl down draft. Also there is no hose clip on the fuel line on the pump side of the fuel filter - looks like a quick put together to get it going to sell so it may pay you to check out the complete fuel line. Check the headlight wiring while you are about it too as that has often become dangerously deteriorated.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the headlight wires were already toasted. I am going to have to go through the whole system. It looks like the headlights shorted early in this GT's history.

The carb assembly is an atempt at a throttle body injection. The seller said it seemed to work pretty good. The carb actually has a small fuel pump attached to it to get the added pressure for the injector to work. As much as I am intrigued by this setup, I think I will replace it with a Weber. The gas tank is out of the car to be cleaned and I am going to replace all the hoses before I drive it.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Throttle Body Injection!

That IS something new! Check it out carefully as you may be on to something useful there.

Most GT electrical wiring is a total tragedy - my tail light wires had melted on to the rear of the petrol tank! Fortunately there was no fire, but my heart almost stopped when the tank was removed. :eek:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
how well does that injection set up really work, or dont you know? if you really want a weber like you say you do, how about a straight even up trade? its a 32/36 DGEV with correct jetting (otto's jetting advice). either way let me know. i'd be willing to try it.

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts
take some more picts!!

Hey First opel 1981, if you have a chance take some pictures of the underside, or the setup fo the exhaust when you are taking it apart! I would really like to see what your setup looks like. I'm jealous!! that's a good find!

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Rust free car

I also have a 1970 that is rust free, unfortunately it sat in the desert sun longer than yours, about 12 years. I recently purchased from a freind that has had it in his garage since 1986.
I have rebuilt the motor and front suspension and am about 2 weeks away from a complete underside/inside/exterior paint job. I will be using Por 15 on the underside and 2004 Millenium Yellow on the rest.
The interior was toast from the desert heat. I'm down to needing new seats, a front windshield seal and a steering wheel. I have everything else used or NOS.
Progress pictures to follow.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm planning on taking pictures this weekend. I will post them as soon as they are available. I am going to include the underside exhaust pics requested.

I am going to have to redo the entire interior as well. The seats are intact, just torn. I am going to recover them with cloth. Vinyl sticks to me. :cool:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
pavogg: i have a really nice set of stock seats, red in color, and an aftermarket racing wheel thats on a opel hub already, looks kinda cheap but it would work i guess. the windshiled seal can be bought from the GT source for like 80 bucks.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Newest update. I fired the engine to see what I would need to fix (if anything) The engine fired up after 2 seconds of cranking and idled immediately. This engine has been sitting since 1999 without rotating. It had a small lifter tick in #4 exhaust but the lifters are solid so no prob.
NO SMOKE!!! NO LEAKS!!!
Still gonna strip the motor, replace the bearings and regasket the whole thing.

Checked the headlight mechanism... Headlights turn over and the switches work. Just have to put a better splice on the fried wires. They fried because the bolts holding the left bucket had come loose and the roll pins were missing. All in all I am pleased with the resuts

If I got this lucky on everything, I would buy a lotto ticket.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For Chuck Luther.

Just took the pics of the exhaust. Nothing too fancy. Just 2 pipes coming from the exhaust manifold that snake out in opposite directions. They are completely welded, no bolt off donuts. I am concerned a little that one of the pipes is very close to the transmission. I will probably install a heat shield when I reinstall the engine and trans. I do have a small problem though. The exhaust has to come out for the trans to drop. Silly way to set this up but I will make the best of it.

Attachments

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts
Thanks for the picts First Opel 1981!! - It took me this long to take a look at them!! because this new layout's learning curve... So the side pipes have the muffler built in right? because you have it going right from the exhaust mani to the side pipes: done... no muffler in between?? this is what I've been pondering... sounds liek they have the muffler built in.
http://www.jegs.com//cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=141412&prmenbr=361

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, they are built in mufflers. Looking at the ones you picked out, it looks pretty much the same. Only difference I could see was the angle of the output, and they are listed as 4 into 1 pipes. I would doubt that you could ever find any that were 2 into 1 though. I beliece my input into the pipes is 1.5 inches but you could easily adapt to the 2".
I will measure the length of the pipes in the next couple days to let you know how they fit on the car.
BTW that is a great price for those pipes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts