Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PROB: New rebuilt 1.9, initial start-up, How do I get
the oil system primed ? Do I just keep cranking without the
plugs untill it rises, pour oil over the valves while cranking,
Its to late to use the old pretroleum jelly trick with out ripping parts out. Are their any other ways or is cranking the best.
ANY HELP WELCOMED.

TIA, webster

·
Detritus Maximus
2,369 Posts
There is a little square head plug just above oil pump. Remove it and squirt oil into it until it runs out. Put the plug back in. Get a LONG (18"-24") straight blade (3/8"-1/2" wide blade) screwdriver and cut the handle off. Put the wshaft into the chuck of a drill. Remove the distributor and insert the screwdriver shaft into the distributor hole and engage the oil pump drive. Spin it with the drill until you have oil coming out around the cam and lifters. This primes the pump and pre-lubes everything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
prime the oil pump

U can prime the oil pump it self. Which is highly suggested.

There is a bolt on the side of pump u take off so u can access a primer inlet. U will need to use one of those fancy oil pump cans to get access to the inlet. It is a tight squeeze all the way down there.

I like that screwdriver trick....

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MUCH THANKS!!!!!

Great it worked like a charm! Thanks much!After filling
prime hole I poured a small amount of oil over the valves
and the pump primed right up, I do wish I had asked before
I started trying to prime by cranking.I hope this didn't do
any damage to my engine!
:) :)

BIG THANKS,
webster

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dunno wheter or not you used engine moly putting her all back together, but this 'saves' a motor for those first few seconds of dry operation. I've also had luck using STP oil treatment as a moly substitute, as it is highly viscous ad contains wetting agents.

As is true in ANY rebuild - CHANGE the oil after the first 100 miles of operation to rid the engine of moly and leftover swarf/grit from the rebuilding process. Your engine will thank you!

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,458 Posts
Unless the motor was running I am sure you didnt do any damage. Even then you probably had a little time util anyhting bad realyl happened.

Basically if its not knocking now your out of the woods.

I personally all use the packing grease method. I have had no luck with any other method. I just remove the oil pump cover pack the area full of grease and pop it back on. I then pull the coil wire and just crank the motor for about 10 secs. That usually does it 99.9% of the time.

Charles

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, no bad noises. She sounds like a
beast with just the header. I can't wait to
put the tranny and exh. system in so I can
taker her around the block :p

Thanks again for all the info,
webster

·
2,054 Posts
Priming oil pump

Got a question:
Anyone know of a priming pump, and where to tie it into the oil system?

Here's the deal. After the engine is rebuilt, I plan on driving the GT occasionally, maybe once or twice a month. I want to pressurize the oil system before cranking or firing the engine up.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Either remove the distributor and spin the oil pump over with a 'dummy' shaft and a drill, or get an Accusump pre-oiler.

·
2,054 Posts
Accusump

Went to the Accusump web site. Thanks for the tip. It's what I am looking for.

When I said I wanted to pressurize the oil system before starting the engine, I meant to say I wanted to do it each time I start the engine, not just the 1st time. Perhaps this is over-kill. Its just that I don't expect the car will be driven more than once or twice per month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts