Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone with an Automatic Opel GT.
does anyone know how the night lights that light up the PRNDL indicator get their power.
I search all the schmatics that I have and have found nothing.

I was wondering if the two lamps that illuminate the PRNDL indicator gets their power off of the instruments light dimmer switch.

If your dash lights are working, could you please check the PRNDL indicator to see if they
dim/brighten with the dimmer switch

·
Opeler
2 Posts
Shifter Lights for Automatic

Hi the wires should be paired up with the neutral switch wires. The wires come up through the floor behind the heater control on the left side and connect to the lights in the middle of the dash under the radio. I will check which terminals and post later.:cool:

·
Vendor
2,663 Posts
Hi Hans,
Yes, the lights are rheostatically controlled (on my 1970 GT) Here is a pic of the two bulbs from a spare console. Looks like a gray wire and a brown wire.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just need to know where the grey wire goes. I get NO voltage there when the lights are on. If it goes to the dimmer control I might just rewire to a lights on 12 volt source since my other dash lights are dark emitters also.

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
Hans,

I haven't looked at a diagram awhile but the brown wire should be the ground and the gray wire should tie in to the dash illumination wiring somewhere. IIRC the console is only illuminated when the parking lights or headlights are on and the dash illumination switch in on.

Harold

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
That's right, the console lighting comes on with the parking lights and is not connected to the dimmer control for the dash lights.

The console light bulbs [12 Volt] are in series so each bulb only gets half the voltage [= 6 Volts] so they don't irritate you while you're driving at night.

·
Vendor
2,663 Posts
That's right, the console lighting comes on with the parking lights and is not connected to the dimmer control for the dash lights....
I can say for sure (just went to the garage and checked it) that my indicator lights get dimmer or brighter depending on the position of the dimmer switch. What I can't say for sure is that this is the original wiring. :D
Ron in Indy

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could be that the North American cars are wired differently from Euro Opels. My parking lights only come on with the head lights, the parking light switch does nothing.

I am sure my reostat for the dimmer circuit is Kaput as all my instrument lights are now dark emitters. I will try to get 12 volts to the (20-gray) wire from the lights *ON* circuit. I need all the illumination that I can get.

·
Opeler
119 Posts
Automatic shifter lamp/bulbs number

Does anyone know the bulb number for the automatic shifter lights is or was? Mine are broken:banghead:

·
Vendor
2,663 Posts
Don,
I'm not sure if you ever got an answer to your question, but I just pulled the bulb out of my spare shift console. I couldn't read any part numbers, just 12V/2W. This looks like it would be a good fit: Amazon.com: General 71440 - LTB7144 Miniature Automotive Light Bulb: Home Improvement
I usually just take the old bulbs to NAPA, and they can normally find a good match.
Here's a picture of mine, in case you are not sure about the scale.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Opeler
119 Posts
Automatic shifter lamp/bulbs number

Thanks for getting back to me on this (Ron and Keith) I have found them at Opelgt Source and @ 2.50 a piece with my last order. All I had was Ron sent a photo of and the number and my local NAPA store was of no help.

THANKS Again!:veryhappy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Prndl

Looking for someone with an Automatic Opel GT.
does anyone know how the night lights that light up the PRNDL indicator get their power.
I search all the schmatics that I have and have found nothing.

I was wondering if the two lamps that illuminate the PRNDL indicator gets their power off of the instruments light dimmer switch.

If your dash lights are working, could you please check the PRNDL indicator to see if they
dim/brighten with the dimmer switch

My shifter is missing the RNDL. Are these extremely hard to find? Hopefully can find one soon. If anyone knows where to find these please let me know. Thanks.

·
Über Genius
9,044 Posts
My shifter is missing the RNDL. Are these extremely hard to find? Hopefully can find one soon. If anyone knows where to find these please let me know. Thanks.
I had to do a deal with the devil, himself, to get mine.

Otherwise, lowkey said he has one.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
I had to do a deal with the devil, himself, to get mine.

Otherwise, lowkey said he has one.
Had, not has. We sold one complete console, and a broken one with a good prndl strip.

But they gone now.

The Devil probably has one, but there'll be hell to pay and you might have to wait for all eternity.

You'll be in Limbo for a while.

·
Über Genius
9,044 Posts
Had, not has. We sold one complete console, and a broken one with a good prndl strip.

But they gone now.

The Devil problem has one, but there'll be hell to pay and you might have to wait for all eternity.

You'll be in Limbo for a while.
I got mine lickety split.

I was there, I saw it on the ground and then sent my spawn to make the actual deal. I have other spawn so if he were to have been taken I would have been covered.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
I got mine lickety split.

I was there, I saw it on the ground and then sent my spawn to make the actual deal. I have other spawn so if he were to have been taken I would have been covered.
But for the rest of us....

You sends your money, you takes your chances.

Maybe, maybe later, maybe not at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Auto PRNDL found

I've met a couple of great Opelers nearby and they helped me out. Thanks Dave! Now if I can just find some type of brush to steal the bristles from to replace all the missing on the shifter slot. :veryhappy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts