Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use firefox and up until Girly with Style joined (which may or may not be relevent) I had no browser problems.

But since that time frame, every time I go to look at one of her initiated posts my browser reboots and I automatically send an error report to bill gates. It has not happened to any other post.

Just wondering if she has any special characters in her signature. I got bill gates and firefox working on it. :confused:

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
I've had similar problems with Firefox..on different sites as well. I dont use it as my default browser. I switch back and forth between that and IE. Not sure what the deal is...but it wont let me use my Netflix online movie account either.....I just put Firefox on my desktop and use it when need be.
HTH
Joe

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never thought to try IE. will do as a test. (really don't like IE).

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill just emailed me that it's not his problem.
Problem does not show up with IE.
So now I will have to suffer and not be able to read any of Girly with Style's posts. Oh well, such is life.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the Firebug 1.05 add on for Firefox running?
I have Firefox/2.0.0.12 and I can go through all the forums and everyones posts just fine except for some reason there is something that my browser doesn't like in Girly with Styles initiated posts.

I am working with firefox about add-ons. I don't know about 1.05

·
UngerDog
1,288 Posts
It's taking a lot longer for my firefox to fully load the main page. I have dial-up and I'm thinking that the photos in the Girly with Style poll is what is taking the extra time. The photos take up a lot of the screen until the page is loaded and they are reduced down to thumbnail size.
Jerry

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Dial Up

I have dial up too - am using IE 6

The poll 'elbows' aside the froum and pushes it far right - off the screen.
Eventually things 'snap' back to size but the poll still 'hogs' the whole left hand side of the screen.

Everytime I go back home and try to open another Thread - it happens all over again. It almost looks like there is some 'view on wide screen' embedded commands somewhere.

???

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Yes...you fixed it!! Thanks Gary!
Joe

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Yep!

That whipped it into shape - Thank You, Gary.

The poll just shows as a small side bar now - without pictures.
I guess it was them taking up the bandwidth.

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
you can close most of the little boxes such as polls by clicking on the little double arrow top right of the boxes

saves a lot of time opening the main page for dial up

hth

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it all her threads or just the poll one?
It appears to be just the posts that she starts. I havenot noticed any problems with threads that she joins.

Do you have any Firefox add-ons active?
I got some Yahoo add-ons that have been there quite some time.

·
UngerDog
1,288 Posts
Ditto to what Joe and Jim posted. Dial-up users need to stay united, there aren't very many of us left. :yup:
Jerry

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Just wondering.. why are there so many people that do not like IE? I have used it ever since I can remember.. and I have no problems with it.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
It has to do with what MicroSoft did years ago, that is bundling their web browser in with their Disc Operating System, along with Outlook Express. Because most folks didn't know any better and used Outlook, the hackers got in to it and the infamous Trojan Worm was born. Shortly afterward more and more viruses were put in to all of MicroSoft's programs. So in short order many users went with other web browsers, and like myself refuse to use IE unless it is absolutely necessary. To combat the mass exodus to other web browsers and e-mail accounts, for a short time you could not use any other browser with MicroSoft DOS, but after a court action that practice was curtailed. A few other things that occurred in the early computer years, from what I've been told. Gates and Job, pirated a DOS type program from Linear Systems Inc., and then wrote their MS-DOS from that program. The original Windows program and the mouse were pirated away from IBM, who had taken their computers and modified them for use with folks that were physically challenged and could not use the keyboard and used the computers to communicate with folks and their caregivers. So "Now you know the rest of the story".

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Just wondering.. why are there so many people that do not like IE? I have used it ever since I can remember.. and I have no problems with it.
Same here. Just stay away from 3rd-party tool bars and get yourself a firewall and virus scan program and you should be good. I've never had a virus and I am on the Internet at least an hour or two every day practically 365 days a year. As Ron points out, there is a lot of old bagage that has damaged the perception of IE.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts