Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reminded of the reformulated gasoline they sell 'now-a-days' in a different thread about vaporlock and such, but figured I'd start a new thread specifically on it.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in their car or in the tuning requirements when using the reformulated stuff? Anymore propensity for vaporlock or pinking? Or what about having to retune with the extremes of weather?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I have a story on the early reformulated gas and it's a doozy. Many years ago, my old El Dorado motorhome with a 454 and TH400 tranny ran out of gas going up a hill coming back from some model boat races. I still had 1/2 tank of gas in the main tank but it all slid to the back of the tank, so I switched over to my reserve tank and went on up the hill, at a higher rate of speed than I was able to with the gas in the main tank. I figured I'd do a comparison, once I got back on level ground. So I held my foot steady on the throttle and switched between the tanks, the results were nothing more than fantastic. At a steady throttle setting, I gained 10 MPH with the old gas in my reserve tank and lost 10 MPH when I switched back to the main tank. This was at a main tank steady speed of 65 MPH. It was unreal. I tried switching tanks while going uphills with the same results, throttle floored in 2nd gear 45 MPH with the main tank gas and 55 with the reserve tank gas. BTW this was with 91 octane rated gas in both tanks, they were just filled years apart. On a side note, later on, coming back from a dog show, I had run out of gas in the main tank, switched over to the reserve tank and the resultant increase in pressure from the electric fuel pump blew my fuel line apart, which had weakend from prolonged use of the "new" reformulated gas. Needless to say, there was an engine fire. We got the dogs out safely, Margaret never did trust the motorhome and had followed me in her T-bird that trip, and took the dogs home, figuring not to see the "Murphymobile from Hell" again. When I drove it home, the next day and parked it in front of the house, she broke down and cried, vowing never to step foot in it again. She hasn't! Do I like the new gas? Next question!!!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"Re-Formulated"

Just another despicable act from the gas companies - Oh! - and the "Greenies"

All harks back to being forced to go "unleaded" To get the octane ratings up after the removal of tetra-ethyl lead from gasoline the fuel refiners had to add all sorts of stuff to the mix in (vain) attempts to get good gasoline.
Aromatic hydrocarbons such a Toluene, Xylene were added -and found to be carcinogenic - half "re-formulated" gasoline is paint thinner or dry-cleaning fluid for Goodness sake!

As Ron noted this "Witches Cauldron" of chemicals dissolved rubber fuel lines and burns much less cleanly than "Real" petrol.

THANKS! Greenies ............. Bring back the LEAD!

Or use some lead to cure the problem - high speed lead!

(rant off!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.