Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been many posts discussing how to get the correct timing curve. We have developed a new product… the "TDC"… that will get you a "perfect curve"… no matter how weird that curve may turn out to be. The "TDC" uses a RISC (fancy word for high performance) microprocessor to control an ELECTROMOTIVE HPX crank fire ignition.

This system is not for the "faint of wallet". However we started using the HPX because it is "crank fire" and gives us the most bang for the buck… ok, most bang for the big bucks. Our "TDC" adds full "curve" programmability that the HPX does not have. You can download our software at:

www.tgsi.com/tdc.html

The software is the "real deal" and you can save any work you do. The only thing you can't do is program a "TDC"... since you don't have a "TDC"

Most Opel folks will not buy this system… it is only for the hard core few. What I'm hoping is that some of you will give me some feed-back on our software. Go to our web site and download the software and play with it. Let me know what you think... by email only: [email protected]

Please do not call the phone number listed in the help files... unless you are calling to order. This phone number is for "paying" customers only.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
TGSI Racing said:
RISC (fancy word for high performance)
That's an interesting interpretation:)

I am curious, why you decided to invest the engineering time into building your own system when for slightly more money you could have bought a full engine management system(SDS for example) and make use of only the ignition section? You'd then also have the injection piece available if you decided to upgrade in the future.

Just curious...

-Travis

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since we are a dealer for multiple FI computer systems, you are correct... sort of. However, the real cost for a FI computer system is over $2000. Yea, I know what the ads say. But by the time you get a real installation $2k is the minimum... for a car that already has FI, and an OEM controlled multi-coil ignition system. For cars that don't have FI, then the cost really goes up... You have to add multiple High Energy coils and ignitior just for the ignition part... and FI is even more... have you ever priced a set of RC injectors? Also, the aftermarket computers don't give "crank fire" ignition. (Yea, you can get there for the extra cost of the "crank fire" stuff.) And since "crank fire" is superior to anything else, that's what we want.

Lastly, we have tried some of the "el cheapo" stuff out there, and frankly it's junk... we won't put it on our cars. (Sorry I can't tell you which ones because of liability reasons.) Suffice to say, we first decide what stuff we want to use... then we become a dealer for it... and when necessary improve on it. The base Electromotive was the best we tried, but we couldn't get our curve "just right"... now we can.

So, for considerably less than the cost of a good FI computer boxes, "hard core" folks can have a fully programmable ignition system.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Bob,

Your comparing apples and oranges here, the cost of an HPX and your little box against a complete fuel injection installation. The price of RC injectors(which I have priced, BTW) really is not relevant as they're not needed for the ignition system.

I stand behind my original statement. For slightly more than the cost of your box and an HPX one could buy a 'lower end' FI computer WITH coils and WITH a crank pick up for the igniton timing reference. This would give all the fuctionality of your system with the OPTION to upgrade to FI in the future without having to throw away over $700 worth of parts!

-Travis

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL,

I'm not usre when you last priced the Electromotive parts but their TEC3 is ~$2000 for the computer and coils. This is quite a bit beyond what TGSI is offering.

-Travis

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Travis,

We are an electromotive dealer and have a current price list. And yes, the TEC3 is an exceptionally good unit. We have put these on a lot of cars (especially Miatas) and have had very good results. And for adding a turbo system, an aftermarket ECU is required. Unfortunately the Electromotive advertising is a little misleading. The TEC3 computer ($1850) does not "come" with all the stuff you need. To this you must add a harness ($160 - $360), DFU - Coil pack ($140), power harness & relays ($99). (These prices are "Racer Net" which is what we sell them for. "Retail" is about 15% more). The HPX is $550. For both the HPX and the TEC3, you must also add the trigger wheel, mag sensor and mounting brackets (cost here depends on what fabrication you do yourself). So, total up for the TEC3 will be $2500+ for a 4 cylinder that already has OEM FI.

Yes, comparing a full FI system to an ignition only system is "Apples and Oranges". But your question was; "why you decided to invest the engineering time into building your own system when for slightly more money you could have bought a full engine management system(SDS for example) and make use of only the ignition section?"

So the first answer to your question is we wanted one and no body made one. We currently have 4 race cars plus our street cars. We have customers who don't want to spend $2500+ conversion cost to get the "perfect curve"… our TDC provides the solution for a lot less money.

By the way, we think the TEC3 is the best you can get (short of a $5000 MOTEC). Considering the price/performance it is the only way to go for FI cars. So for a full FI system the TEC3 is our recommended approach. (By the way, we will also sell you a Haltech or MOTEC if you want… but what we use on our race cars is the Electromotive stuff.)

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea... what Travis said.

Hopefully we have not gotten lost in the "merits" discussion... I'm hoping that the Opel folks will download the software and give it a test drive. You don't have to buy anything… I just want some feedback on what you think of how the software works.

Download at www.tgsi.com/tdc.html

Thanks… Bob

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you to the folks who gave me feedback on the software. We'll make a couple of minor changes as a result of their suggestions. I'll be leaving the current version available for download for another week or so if any one else wants to give it a "test drive".

Again, thanks for the feed-back.

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Now that almost 4 years have passed, do we have anything "NEW" that will give us a true programmable ignition curve?
I have a MSD-6A, pertronics and a 38DGAS.
I know nothing about this subject!
Just wanted to see if I could improve on the stock type distributor, centrifical advance.
Lyle

·
Super Moderator
14,062 Posts
Now that almost 4 years have passed, do we have anything "NEW" that will give us a true programmable ignition curve?
I have a MSD-6A, pertronics and a 38DGAS.
I know nothing about this subject!
Just wanted to see if I could improve on the stock type distributor, centrifical advance.
Lyle
Lyle, the Megasquirt-II EFI unit I just bought has this capability for the fully mappable ignition based on rpms and loading (vacuum). I will not be using it (yet), but the hardware and software is there.

Bob

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,308 Posts
There have been many posts discussing how to get the correct timing curve. We have developed a new product… the "TDC"… that will get you a "perfect curve"… no matter how weird that curve may turn out to be. The "TDC" uses a RISC (fancy word for high performance) microprocessor to control an ELECTROMOTIVE HPX crank fire ignition.
Markrting jargon can be so interesting.... RISC stands for 'reduced instruction set controller'. These are bare bones processor types on the low end of the cost scale that typically are used for relatively mundane and simple processing and controlling tasks....like setting an advance/delay time and firing a trigger. High performance? No......An appropriate choice for the task?...Sounds like it.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Lyle, the Megasquirt-II EFI unit I just bought has this capability for the fully mappable ignition based on rpms and loading (vacuum). I will not be using it (yet), but the hardware and software is there.
Bob
Bob, always looking for a way to get easy power.
Was hoping MSD made something to work with what I have.
I wanted to read up on the basics, but wasn't sure what it would be called.
Any good places to search?
I don't want fuel injection, but controlling the ignition curve would be great!
When I do my dyno run, I was thinking about trying to map out the best advance for an RPM.
1,200 = 17 Deg
2,000 = ?
2,500 = ?
3,000 and above = 36 Deg max
Once I knew the numbers, just program them in?
Tomorrow my neighbor is letting me borrow his adjustable timing light, so I can check my advance curve more accurately.
Will post my numbers.
Lyle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.