Opel GT Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Electrolysis is a pretty cheap but friendly way to remove rust, unlike an acid bath.
Sounds like a good idea. I had a report over the restoration of a WWII era BMW radial engine pulled from the muck at the bottom of a French river. They used a bath where they continuously flushed the tank with a slowly changing bath and used electrolysis. Sounds like there is a commercial version. That big ole fully assembled radial supposedly shined like new after they were finished. Very cool.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
79 Posts
If you're thinking of the gorgeous factory metallic blue color, it's strato blue poly (aka metallic). PPG paint charts list it as Opel code HH 236 for 1969, with Ditzler (PPG) code number 13819 for acrylic lacquer or 13829 for enamel. Belgium production had the following for strato blue: Lucite code was 8487L, Dulux code was 8487D. German production had 8474L and 8474D for strato blue. In 1971, the codes changed. The Opel code became DD-H L-235, with Ditzler code number 14171 for Detroit sourced paint or 14172 for Torrance, CA sourced paint.

Looks like the following websites can help with sourcing the paint...

Color Chip Selection

Color Codes - Strato Blue Paint Cross-Reference

Attached are some of the better pics I took from the Opel Nationals with the 50th Anniversary of the GT... It's a strato blue, which is my second favorite color on the GT and my favorite factory color.
I have been looking to buy PPG paint in Strato Blue. Both 14172 and 13829 are valid PPG codes for Strato Blue, but they only have formulation for the low end paint, ShopLine. There is no formula for either the ShopLine + or Deltron, which I would prefer for the outer surfaces. Has anyone else run into this problem? What about other paint brands? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have been looking to buy PPG paint in Strato Blue. Both 14172 and 13829 are valid PPG codes for Strato Blue, but they only have formulation for the low end paint, ShopLine. There is no formula for either the ShopLine + or Deltron, which I would prefer for the outer surfaces. Has anyone else run into this problem? What about other paint brands? Thanks.
You might see it dynacoat has your flavor
Or house of colors

81 - 87 of 87 Posts