Opel GT Forum banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I found another stash of parts (Never throw anything away.) and among them was the dust shield (Manta style) for the flywheel and the passenger side bracket/gusset. I'm still looking for the driver side bracket.

Can anyone recommend a NAPA gas cap by part number? I have one that looks perfect but was a little small in terms of diameter.

Work continues today. I was out for a bit helping pour concrete. Working on Opels is a lot more fun, and tons easier. Literally, tons. I should be able to finish painting the cage, if the winds don't pick up again, and start wiring up the lights.

Mike

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
The rewiring of the rear lights, fuel sender, and fuel pump is done. Pulling the new bundle through the rocker panel was a pain but it got done.

The battery is in and wired up. I put a 250 amp fuse and a cut-off switch with a removable key right next to it. That way we can easily disconnect the battery when working on the car. The fuse is there in case a crash shorts the battery somehow.

The cage is mostly painted. It's not an easy job. You can't do it all at once.

Tomorrow, wire up the kill switch and alternator, connecting them to the battery. Then, start on the instrument panel. I have something really silly in mind.

Mike

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I did more to finish up the rear today, such as secure wires and change light bulbs.

The main power, from the battery, fuse, cut-off switch, to the starter and kill switch, is all done and tests out okay.

This stuff takes a lot longer than you'd think.

I'm hoping to get started on the front lights tomorrow, but Catherine is coming over so we can install a windshield in her GT and replace the window rubber for the rear.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
I meant to ask this last night, but the clutch pedal on the Sport Wagon sits a lot higher than the brake pedal. Is that normal? Am I missing a bushing or bumper or something?

Mike
Not much you can do with the clutch pedal, once adjusted, but the brake pedal has an eccentric cam adjuster on it

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I can't find that cam. There's a simple rod that the brake a clutch pedal hang on.

The clutch pedal is over an inch higher than the brake pedal. It seems like a bump stop is missing, but it isn't. There's a switch and a bumper to stop the pedal.

In other news, we've finally had a little rain, so I am declaring today a holiday. Actually, I have to keep working on the car. The race is just over a week away.

I've been at it for day and not making any progress that anyone would notice. I'm currently working on the fuse panel and all that fitting and fussing is a pain. Then a tool breaks. Then I touch up the paint but it's a different kind of paint and it curdles the original paint, so that gets a do-over. and I switch to getting the hood pins mounted, then it is too dark to work.

Today, sketch out the rest of the wiring, build the dash, futz with more crap.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,225 Posts
I can't find that cam. There's a simple rod that the brake a clutch pedal hang on.

The clutch pedal is over an inch higher than the brake pedal. It seems like a bump stop is missing, but it isn't. There's a switch and a bumper to stop the pedal.
Mike, the cam is at the brake booster fork, not the upper pivot tube. There’s a spline inside the eccentric, and a bolt passes thru that which has a spine as well. There is a sheet metal locking tab which must be unbent first, loosen the nut, rotate the bolt to raise or lower the pedal, then tighten the nut and bend the locking tab again.

However, if the clutch pedal is high, more likely it is mis-adjusted. Most folks yank on the clutch cable and put the c-clip as close to the end as possible. However proper adjustment is to adjust the clutch fork pivot to achieve 4.25”, then adjust the cable for proper free play. The OEM pedal DID have a switch on it, which lit up a dash light to show clutch wear. Proper technique to adjust the pedal was to pull on the cable until the light *just* came on, then back it off two notches on the cable clip. But if you strive for 3/4” clutch pedal free play (lacking the OEM pedal light) you should be ok.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
^ Thanks. I think the place to start is the adjustment at the clutch.

A very welcome rain came in on Wednesday and that put a damper on the work on the car. I did manage to make progress on the instrument panel, shown in the attachments.

Today it's wet but not currently raining, but the wind is up, so that rules out putting up a pop-up. There's still some electrical work I can do inside, but eventually I'll have to go out and sit in the rain and work on the car.

Major items still on the to-do list are:

1. Fabricate and install an exhaust.
  2. Get new tires.
  3. Finish the electrical. We'll be needing headlights and wipers for the race. Rain is expected.
  4. Rework the front suspension. We won't be able to weld in the reinforcements this time, but I need to re-bush it and replace ball joints and tie rods. It's a safety thing.
  5. Finish up the seat brackets and install the seat.
The race is a week away.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
It's now Saturday and we need to be done and ready to load up next Thursday. There's still a lot to do.

Here's what's left to do and get, based on a list I made a few days ago:

1. Wire up the headlights and other front lights.
  2. Install a mount for the submarine belt.
  3. Finish and install the fuse/relay panel.
  4. Finish the instrument panel (done).
  5. Find and install engine/transmission gussets.
  6. Complete the fuel sender connection.
  7. Finish welding in the driver's side floor panel.
  8. Finish installing hood pins.
  9. Install the windshield (save this for last).
  10. Get a set of tires.
  11. Rework the front suspension. It's a safety issue at this point. If we can also lower the car now, fine.
  12. Install the side windows.
  13. Install seat hardware and seat.
  14. Get and install a rear seat brace.
  15. Vinyl decals.
  16. Clutch adjustment.
  17. Patch remaining holes in firewall.
  18. Install intake with throttle cable hardware (done).
  19. Move the engine's ground strap away from the exhaust.
  20. Get and install a fire extinguisher.
  21. Wire up the wiper.
  22. Install wiper arms and blades.
  23. Exhaust fabrication and install.
Does anyone want to come over and help? ;)

Mike

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Mornings out here on the ole Opel Ranch can be quite beautiful, when the state is not on fire, the storms have passed, nothing is flooding, the hillsides are staying put, and the earthquakes aren't quaking.

Work has gone to nearly full time now trying to check everything off the list before we load up on Thursday afternoon.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
The electrons are ready to race!

The seat is in, the hood and hood pins, too. The mounts for the harness are ready for the harness. There's still a lot to do but progress is being made.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Today we got the exhaust issue taken care of. That was a big one.

In addition, we had to modify the roll cage to correct the angle of the shoulder harness, I placed an order for tires, and I did a little painting before it finally got dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Started the day early by spending 2-1/2 hours at the DMV in Woodland, then dropped of wheels in Davis to get fresh rubber, then picked up bolts at Fastenal, then off to Fry's in Sacramento for connectors and Tognotti's Auto World for stuff they didn't have, and still somehow managed to get in a few hours on the car. (I sure would like to have those 2-1/2 hours back.)

Eric was here today and he took care of the submarine belt bracket, painted the modified part of the roll cage, welded in the brackets for the window net, and cut out two of the four side windows.

I finished the shifter install then concentrated on finishing the wiring and nearly finished the front light before it got too dark, and wet. It's been raining off and on all day.

We can now check off over half the items on that long list I made last week.

Tomorrow is our last full day available for working on the car. Thursday will be a short day which ends with packing up and heading for the track.

We still haven't driven the car.

What could possibly go wrong?

Mike

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Breaking News!

Bribery is a tradition in Lemons, going back to the very beginning of the series. Bribes are offered in hopes of getting the Lemons Supreme Court to be lenient in their judgments of suitability of the team's theme and presentation, to not look too closely at the cheatonium under the hood, and to simply show respect for the institution. Those who bribe get their car stenciled, and yes, some teams take pride having these all over their car. We bribed for our first race, but back then stenciling was not done. This time, with a new car, I was thinking maybe we should bribe the judges, then this (photo) happened!

So now we must bribe and bribe well!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I worked until about 11 last night. Did all I could considering the rain. Eric was here until 6 but when he got home had some welding to do. We'll be back at it today.

All of the wiring is strung and I finished preparing the gauge cluster. We'll use it's tach and fuel gauge. I cut the brackets to mount it but will let Eric weld them to the cage today.

I woke up early today with visions of wiring in my head. Once the gauge cluster is in and the Lemony gauge cluster, too, I can finalize the connections. Lots of other worries and event details dancing around in my head got me out of bed and back to work on the car. We still need a gas cap, we haven't tested the wiper motor, the clutch cable needs adjusting, I need to borrow a generator, I canceled to order through Todd for a engine/transmission bracket and we'll just modify a GT bracket instead, we need a fire extinguisher, and so on. At least it isn't raining at the moment. Clear and breezy. Wait, no. I just looked out the window again. Rainy and breezy.

There's more to do and it won't be easy getting out of here tonight, but I think we can do it.

Mike

P.S. Catherine took her GT home yesterday. Very cool.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mike, I know you don't have time to read this but want to wish you and crew the Best this weekend !
Talked to Rocky this morning, he is still making some progress with his motor transplant and says he
may come to Sonoma from Antioch if it's not raining too much Saturday. We're all cheering for you and OPEL !

141 - 160 of 171 Posts