Opel GT Forum banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I was able to get the shifter modified for the five speed, and worked most of the day to get everything together. Wanted to get the engine back in, but needed to run brake lines and such. Looks like I need to make some changes to the trans mount, it needs to be over towards the driver a bit more. I'm also going to turn the shifter around as the bend is forward and the shift pattern doesn't look right, it goes too forward. Anyways hope to have it up and running again sometime next week. Also painted the master cylinder in heavy duty chassis paint from Magnet Products.

Attachments

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Things could have gone worse, but last Friday I was under the car and happened to look inside the new header, and saw daylight. With a flashlight shining through, I noticed the four tubes to the one we're not welded. I thought at first this might be normal, but a quick email confirmed it wasn't. So today I had to pull the header out, and had another one to install as Gil was awaiting shipment of the ceramic coated headers. Started rebuilding the rack and pinion unit as well.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
I was able to get the shifter modified for the five speed, and worked most of the day to get everything together. Wanted to get the engine back in, but needed to run brake lines and such. Looks like I need to make some changes to the trans mount, it needs to be over towards the driver a bit more. I'm also going to turn the shifter around as the bend is forward and the shift pattern doesn't look right, it goes too forward. Anyways hope to have it up and running again sometime next week. Also painted the master cylinder in heavy duty chassis paint from Magnet Products.
Keith, If I recall I think I had to drill two new holes in the trans mount. I could not find any pictures of the trans mount in my car so if I remember I can take a look tonight. The car is up on one of my lifts so I could easily take a picture and measure the distance from the old holes to the new ones if in fact I drilled new ones. The shifter being too far forward might be a result of how the shifter "ball" was modified when the mechanism was changed to fit into a GT. It needs to be as short as possible, I got mine down to 1 1/4".
Ignore the "o rings go here" comment, that is left over from when I originally used this picture during my build.

Attachments

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Yeah, I have a shifter to go off of, and the mounts. I checked another one I have here and it seems to sit over to the right a bit in the tunnel, the linkage I modified was no problem. I actually kept the two O' rings around the bearing of the shifter shaft, didn't think it would hurt to keep dust out of it.

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
...did a little test run in the shop
Are you wearing out my brand new tires Keith?!? She's looking good - I'll be that was LOUD! :burnout:

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Exhaust took an entire day to do, but they were doing everything to make it right. Made it back to the parking lot of the shop and couldn't get the car to start again,mother choke was stuck shut. Not sure why it stuck, but got to look at some tuning. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Idle reminds me of a tractor. :) Off idle a bit better. :yup:

Harold
You mean one of those Lamborghini tractors Harold? :p

My O'Reily's Equus timing light took a crap on me, so I just had the idle set by RPM, which was a little high, but the spring needs to be tightened too, so it's s bit all over the place
I love the sound! Definitely has more growl than I'd expect from a small displacement four cylinder engine :cool: and I'm really happy it doesn't sound like a ricer :yup:.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Get out the old handy dandy vacuum gauge.
Advance spark for the highest reading at idle.
Back-off a tadpole hair
Readjust the side drafts

Then do it all over again four times.:)

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Get out the old handy dandy vacuum gauge.
Advance spark for the highest reading at idle.
Back-off a tadpole hair
Readjust the side drafts

Then do it all over again four times.:)
Post on the comments thread you post whores! Dan, I'm surprised you wouldn't have some chart for me uploaded from a sound wave program on your computer telling me where to set it?

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Back in the garage!

Keith dropped off the GT yesterday! :veryhappy I was getting the shakes not having my Opel in the garage :yup:. All I can say is... LOVE IT! The exhaust note with the headers and custom exhaust is awesome (better than the recording posted earlier). That plus the look of the new wheels and tires with the wider stance has really bumped up the aggressive posture of the car. It looks and sounds like a whole new animal. In fact, it was like getting a new car yesterday. I actually stalled it out a couple times trying to get used to the new clutch / transmission release point and the feel of the throttle linkage which was also improved. It didn't help that I had it in third gear on one attempt either (with the new five-speed transmission, the gear shift locations are different - first is over to the left more than I expected). In addition, the rebuilt steering rack has restored the handling to where it should be. I'm just overwhelmed. I went for a nice long drive and that fifth gear is so nice out on the highway. I think I was just shy of 3K RPMs at 80 MPH so lots of room before red-line. Keith doesn't need any plugs, but, at the risk of it going to his head :p, great work Keith as always! :cool:

Matt

P.S. I want to add a shout-out and big thanks to Opel GT Source too. It's so easy to take for granted the great parts, knowledge, and service they provide. This refresh / upgrade used many parts from OGTS including: header, clutch plate, timing chain, five-speed rear seal, speedometer cable, rebuilt distributor, starter motor, steering rack parts, brake lines, firewall liner, shock tower caps, full gasket set, various seals, rubber boots, and bushings, and more! Thank you OGTS!

Attachments

181 - 196 of 196 Posts