Opel GT Forum banner
121 - 140 of 196 Posts
Discussion starter · #121 ·
Misc stuff completed

Installed the pedals (still have to install support bracket) and the window trim rubber on the doors. Hood prod installed and getting ready for an order of some stainless bolts for bumpers and other odd and ends. Its been a little while since my last post as I have been moving in cars and such in the new shop. Just picked one up in Oklahoma City area. That will be the next mechanical resto. I will be posting more frequently about the assembly. There will be quite a bit of wiring modified on the harness. I will be downsizing the micro switch wires and doing the headlight wires as well. I will be using factory style connectors and terminals as well as color coded wiring special ordered for the Opel harnesses. I hope that will be enjoyable as well.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #122 ·
Window Trim On, Shop arranged

Finally got the window trim polished up and installed on the doors. With the new rubber from GT Source, it really makes a difference on how it fits. The window channel rubber is expensive, but does seem worth the cost when you figure all the trouble the trim is on my original rubber GT. It is the sure fix to chomer hanging on a GT. Also I have been tied up with moving equipment into the garage and all. I had to assemble the lift over the weekend. Since It will not be in use for a couple weeks, I came up with a neat way to save some space in the shop. NOTE: the yellow GT is from Oklahoma City area and will be my next project. It is starting out as a mechanical restoration.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #123 ·
Renewing the wiring

Wiring is the part of the restoration I really enjoy. I could go out and buy a new harness for this car, but it would never be the way I wanted it and I would end up redoing it some way or another. I am taking a lot of advice from Destec off the wiring diagrams. I want to eliminate, and reduce the size of the main headlight harness. In order to do this the micro switch wiring must be downsized (too large from the factory #12-can run #20 wire here) Also I can eliminate one of the microswitch wires all together as the one side does the same operation as it seems. I want to then add wires for such things as the Amp. The engine wiring will be redone also and I will incorporate an electric choke wire and remove the resistor wire and replace it with a full 12v wire for the electronic ignition. I will be installing a relay for the starter and possibly for the headlights. I like to use the factory style Packard Terminals as I cannot stand using Stak-ons. The have their purpose, but long lasting wiring is not it. The original style terminals have to be crimped with a special tool, but once you get the hang of it, it ends up being so much cleaner of an install. I also add a little solder to the connections as well. I do NOT us Electrical tape to wrap my harness in. I remeber seeing Destec even post this as well that the original wrap was not electrical tape, but a pcv or vinyl non-stick wrap. They actually tied it at the end of each run of wiring. It does give it a cleaner look and is less forgiving to stretching. The last picture shows the difference in new and old wrap. I will rewrap everything.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #124 ·
Replace that headlight wiring!!

Here is the reason why the wiring gets replaced on the headlights-its brittle from rubber insulation and will short out. Notice the crubbled wiring and corrosion. Fortunately this car was parked way before the headlight wiring went bad. Actually I don't belive even a fuse was replaced from this harness. I begin from cutting the vinyl wrapping and I temporarly wire tie my breaks off the harness (breaks=wires that branch out from the harness. I want to be sure that the harness will route as factory had it, and maintain the proper length of each branch. I replaced the yellow and white wire alltogether and you can see how the new packard terminal blens well at the relay( yellow wire) I will split out the yellow and white wires like the factory did and will be using a splice connector made specifically for multiple wires. I will the solder the wires together and use heat shring over the connections. I also do not use the part store headlight connectors that are pre-wired. Usually they are 16-18 gauge wired and I feel if you are running 12 gauge all the way out-then the connector wires need to be the same. I will also be using the large blade Packard terminals here.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #125 ·
Progress from the weekend

Okay-since the last update I have accomplished many small tasks, nothing major except bumpers. I installed all the bumpers and bumperettes. I use stainless steel bolts which I special ordered to put these on. I feel this is an area that when you really need to get the bumpers off-bolts start breaking and all h$$$ breaks loose. So for the guy down the road that may work on this later-your welcome. I also carry that into some engine bay items as well. I installed the GT Sorce repro heater control valve. There is not a perfect place for it, so I modified and shaped the mounts to fit nice. Looks like it will be a longer lasting item as well. I have been painting the radiator and shroud, doing a little odd and end extras. I was able to install the booster and master cylinder with the mount arm. It looks great. Check it out
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #126 ·
Front Misc

I decided to fit the middle grille with the new belly pan and such-The fiberglass belly does poes issues the whole time I've fooled with it...it looks great-but not sure about still. I have installed the reproduction mirrors from GTSource, and they look great. The hood latch is in place, but until I get the dash in-it will remain open. I also powdercoated the coil bracket and purchased a 12 volt coil that did not require an external ballast resistor.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #127 ·
Waiting for supplies

While I am waiting for more wiring supplies, I am trying to do odd and end stuff to keep going or multi-tasking. One problem with Matts car was a couple of gauges were loose and I had to replace the instrument panel. I also have to modify it for his new cd player. I use a cut-off wheel to rough in the shape and then I patiently take a file and finish out my hole. Then install the surround and walla-instant cd player. I clean these with a heavy degreaser and wash clean. I do not use any kind of brake cleaners or laquer cleaner here, as it could melt the plastic. I then take a low gloss black paint and repaint the entire dash. Came out really well with no fisheyes. I'm actually very pleased with the outcome of this part. Now I will put in his original gauges and clean up everything. Apply terminal grease on all the cleaned connections and renewed switches and call her done. I also do a little upholstery work, and will be redoing the seats and installing the headliner as well.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #128 ·
LEDs in rear vents

I found a set of LEDS from Opelenvy on this site and played around with them to test them. Was pretty self explanitory really after reading the thread on the install. I did use shrink tubing to weather proof them, I now only need to glue them in to permanently mount them. Inside I will be wiring the pulsar to this light to allow them to flash when brakes are applied. I then will only need an antenna (plug for Matt) so I can install the headliner and really get some things done on this car. Like glass installed and rubber trim
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #129 ·
First seat back done

I installed the first seat back and it looks great. There are some wrinkles from being folded that will go away once I work them a little bit. These covers were a good reproduction item. They are missing 2 places for listing wires (support wires you hog ring to). I feel that we will save quite a bit of money having a shop redo these for us. I began the install of the washer tubing as well. I finished everything on the hood part. I basically went back with the factory way of routing it. Instead of the rubber tubing holders, I used shrink sleev tubing that was already a tight fit. I will not put heat to them unless I see that one is going to leak, as they are nice and snug. I happened to have some NOS check valves for the GT, didn't know I had them-yes, Matt you will get the bill...ha. No call it another freebie. They could give you a few more feet of the stuff though. It looks like I will try to source some at Lowes or somewhere that carries it. I will be working on the cooling system and interior

Attachments

Discussion starter · #130 ·
Wiring progress

I have being jumping all around on this car just trying to get little things done. As far as visually, I did not get much done on the car, but hidden things I installed the reworked wiring harness, gas tank, and antenna. Some other small things were completed as well. The harness was taken apart and large oversized wires for the headlight microswitches were downsized to allow room for easy install. I decided to run the power wire for the amp through the headlight harness that way the power would feed right off the battery and be hidden. I was smooth sailing until I relized the power wire was going to be 8 gauge!!!. Fortuneatly, the harness is about the same size as it was originally after changing some wires. With it all being rewrapped, it looks good. I also installed a starter relay inside the dash that will go through a hole that a plastic plug was originally in. I shorted the wire for the starter (black/red) to feed through the inside of the car to the relay, and then only 2 wires will be seen coming into the engine bay from the relay. I also added a new wire for the coil on the positive side to replace the resistor wire. I also replaced the tach wire with new wire. Instead of running a separate wire for the electric choke, I added that as well with the temp sender harness. I purchased all color coded wiring to do this job...too bad I had to purchase it in 1000ft rolls. The gas tank has only been mounted, I will plumb it in the later. I also installed an NOS rear backup lens and housing.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #131 ·
Instrument panel

I worked on the IP today and relized it was going to be a lot more work to figure out. I am using a different cars harness with fuse box, and his original dash wiring. Both from same year car, and I found the routing of the seat belt warning stuff was a little confusing as more not a lot of info for it. Fortuneately I have 2 GTS to reference from and it helped out a bunch. I literally had to remove each glass lense from the gauges just to clean them. They were fogged on the inside. I then cleaned all the terminals and changed all the bulbs. I had to replace the hazard switch and still have a few more mods before testing all the wiring stuff.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #132 ·
Wheels are done

I went through a bunch of (I'll say it) agravation with these wheels to keep them factory. Figure the cost of new chrome center caps, break the tires done, sandblast, powdercoat, remount and balance, install new-NOS lug nuts and run a die over all the threads, and source good beauty rings....these are some high dollar wheels!!!!! They look great though. I never thought so much would fall into something so simple as to keeping it factory, but thats how the assembly has been going. I also completed the install of the new rear taillights and side markers. I believe that finishes off the rear of the car except the tag. These next pictures will not show the car in its entirety, to allow for some excitement for the finished product.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #133 ·
Headliner

I pretty much screwed up a headliner on a Camaro a couple months back, and was told we would send out our interior work for now on. It kind of made me want to do another to show I could do it "with the right info" I actually heard these were tough for the GT. Now keep in mind, I do know interior work a little more than most, and any time I can learn to do something myself-why not. So after some reading, and talking to people about what I did wrong, I relized I left out some key steps for an overall good install of a headliner. This GT was my next attempt at redemption. I worked most of the day on Sunday working the material and uaing guidance I had recieved. I must say that the end result is very nice. It is taunt, and no real wrinkles. The far rear of the headliner still has to be pulled taunt, I just lack installing the rear package tray. I'm definitly not saying it was easy, but I have gotten over the hump at least.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #134 ·
Begin reinstalling headlights

I must have fought this driver's side headlight mechanism for a half an hour trying to get it started with the bolts. But then once it was in place, I taped the edges to prevent chipping, set it in and was very close, in fact, one quick adjustment and I was done. Now the passenger side went in pretty good, but I have to dig up a round spacer I missplaced before I can put that headlight bucket in. :banghead:
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #135 ·
Accomplishments

I have completed the front end parts, except for the side grilles and turn signal lenses. The lights look pretty good, I just have to adjust the passenger side a little more to make it right, but they flip around, and look great. ( Its funny that in an old pair of headlight buckets, I found a wadded piece of plastic that I thought was an isolater. I was robbing the inner buckets for Matts. Well it happened to be 3 NOS headlight screws for the rear mount to the mechanism-you know the 3 small screws that are impossible to find new.) Anyways I installed the dash as well, and visors. I alos am in the works of wiring and hooking up a METRIC TON of stereo stuff....so much for the old simple cd player. I have the XM to run and the Amp to run with the new radio wiring as well. Makes me want to have a stereo chucking contest out back. I did manage to install the fuel filler neck and the gas cap, I must say that my NOS gas cap sure would look a lot better on this car---plug. I did install a dash cap on this dash. I think they look good, and several cars at Carlile had them as well. I can now do stuff such as install glass and other fun things as well-yeah. I installed the wiper mechanism and screen. I will reinstall the seal, and I think it looks good body color here.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #136 ·
Glass install

This weekend ended some small tasks that had to be taken care of that are time consuming. I installed both the driver and passenger door glass and regulators. You forget how much of a pain in the rear these are to put in, but once they are close to being right, you instantly know you are on the right track. They roll up and down now, and after a little work on the pulleys and changing out some cranks, we are on the way for door panels. I installed the dash instrument panel as well. I finish wiring for the most on the radio and it was time to get it in for an initial test of electrical. I don't know for sure if I have any short to grounds or current draws I did not try to crank over at this time and only mocked up a steering column. I will be going through the column wiring shortly. I tested the headlights and all lights as that was what I was concerned with. They flip over-and voila!!! they all worked. The high beam was stuck on though and I feel this was a column issue. If not I will replace the relay and try again. I began installing rear cargo panels and passenger door panel. The rear window trim is installed as well and the rest of the interior is ready to be installed.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #137 ·
Long weekend, lots completed

I had a great chance this weekend to accomplish a laundry list of items. I tested the radio after the amp hookup and battery cable routing and wiring and blah, blah, blah. I wire a secret kill switch, tested the starter and it turns over. I raised the car up to put in fluids and rest of drivetrain. I've been working on hanging exhaust while at the mean time installing radiator hoses and rear interior pieces. The speakers prooved to be a little large for the button down curtain, but that is livable. I am waiting for a little assistance on installing the front and rear glass along with the bleeding of the brakes. There is a lot of little things still left before I fire the car up.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #138 ·
Carb and fittings

In the last post I pictured the steering column. I really worked on dynoing this out. Making sure the key did not have a catch in it when it turned like before...you really had to work it then. I also went through and corrected any wiring and the relay worked out sweet and is hidden under the dash instead of the engine bay. Everything works as well; radio, wipers, lights, turn signals. I did ground the wire from the fasher unit and it seems to work well ( you have to change the position of the turn indicator lights in the dash as they are backwards. The third brake light works with the 3 flash pulsar as well. I installed the Weber Carb and decided to make the fittings for the valve cover that press in to hook up the hoses. I never liked pushing new hoses in the holes and they never seem to fit right. Now they will look correct and function even better. I have a little Smithy 3-in-1 lathe at my families house that I used to turn these down out of aluminum. I will be installing carpet and glass this week, and finishing fuel lines from pump to carb and exhaust.
Keith

Attachments

Discussion starter · #139 ·
Much needed update

I have been working constantly on this car to meet my deadline of the 29th of September. A little lacking in updates-so here we go. I thought I was going to pull the dash again for a charging problem. Turned out it was just a connection up in the engine bay with the voltage regulator. The radiator is in, I did not like the bottom hose he had on there, so I provided an NOS one I had. I ordered an new voltage regulator and convienently it was painted in a matching silver. I will be remaking the plug wires as some of them are too long. As you can see in these pictures the car is outside. YES, I have started it, bled the brakes, set the timing and tested everything to make sure it works. I cannot say it was fun. I had an exhaust leak that turned out to be the shield for the bellhousing resonating. It sounded just like an exhaust leak. I actually removed the intake/exhaust to make sure-good thing though as the intake to the manifold was loose and was leaking. Even I have to work out the bugs to these cars...so please don't think you are alone.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #140 ·
Glass and interior

The glass has now been installed and I recovered the other seat as well. All the carpet is in and looks good. I will not put in the driver and pass floor mats until I am done test driving. Thats why you still see the dynamat. The steering is all done and also the 3 point seat belts were used from GT Source. I actually wasn'[t sure how comfortable they would be. I personally always were a seat belt and tried them. I think they feel great, easy to install (with later model) and are comfortable too. So I highly recommend them. The stereo works great with the hidden antenna. I still have to figure out how to get the XM test station though.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.