Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

As previously posted, I have two GT's and I'm trying to decide which one is the one to restore and which one to use for parts. I'm concerned about rust and would appreciate advice. Are these cars prone to rust in any particular areas that I should be concerned about? I'm most concerned about the hidden areas of the car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kendallman

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Here is a list in no particaler order.
1. Batter pan
2. Door floor boards
3. Wheel wells
4. Back panel (around the rim next to were it meets the top)

I have seen rust in about everywere on the GT (normaly because of poor repairs). Just take a magnet around the car and make sure it that it stays on all over car.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
A New England Opel? Anything below the doorline is prone to rusting. Rockers aren't bad to fix, but anything having to do with fenders is usually deeper than first appearances. There are multiple layers of sheetmetal welded together with nice pockets to trap water and salt. A veritable chem-fest.

Bob

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Have a look in the Photo Gallery in my section "GTJIM" and you will see how deep you must go to find rust. The car looked fine before the paint was stripped off ........... There was no rust protection other than the paint onthe outside of GTs so much of the rust starts from the inside and has now eaten its way right through after 30 years. Salt on your roads during the winter makes things even worse - lots of people just drive GTs during the Summer to protect them from the winter slush & salt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
rust

One particular area, there is a shelf inside the front wheel well at the top. Nice collection point for, you name it. I have yet to see a Gt from MI. that was not rusted thru their. Rust eats it's way from the top down. Also eats out the fender in that spot.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts