Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know if that's proof. It looks more like a vague recollection. The prototype (Mako Shark 2) for the '68 Corvette was unveiled in '65 also. I also have the video that mentions that the GT designer worked on the '68 Vette also.
The question is: which protoype was designed and built first? did one design influence the other, and if so, which did what?? I'm gonna research this a bit and try to report...:confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Also makes you think of the correlation between terms such as Manta and Stingray. But seeing as how close a marriage there is between GM and Opel now and the beginning years back then , you can't help but believe that there was some intermediate sharing of styles and shapes going on(like now). Really makes one wonder! The Idea's of both vehicles seems to hit at about the same time. Although Project Opel (the first vette) did sit around for approximately 2 to 3 years before a finalized model of the vette actually hit showrooms. From what i have read on the Opel GT it was built rather fast and secretively to take other manufacturers by suprise, and that they did! But still we have big ol' GM pulling some strings too! Just what I can recollect from my readings if i am wrong please send stones to my address!:D

RITTER

·
Registered
16 Posts
Opel's GT Designer:

I had to put in a reply to this discussion. It's not making any progress here. According to Brooklands Books " OPEL GT 1968-1973" the GT was designed under the direction of C.M.MacKichan, who served a stint as chief Chevrolet stylist. Check out the close resemblance of the Corvair Monza GT coupe.
It hit the drawing boards sometime in late '62. It's a true fact that the car was secretly designed by a handfull of people. I'll dig into my literature a little later and further update you on this subject. I have to go rebuild my brake calipers now.
I further learned that GM bought out a certain percentage or the entire Opel manufacturing company a few decades ago from the same book I've mentioned.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"To GT or not to GT"

That is the question!
It has also been reported that the GT design Team had a line drawing of the 1968 Corvette on the wall of their design studio.
What ever - the same team did considerable design work right through from the early 1960's with the Chevy Monza GT concept car leading on to the Opel GT and the Chevrolet "Stingray" Corvette in the late 1960's.
Ain't we glad that they were brave and talented enough to give us TWO such classic icons! Without them we would have to put up with driving ... Fords! :eek:

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
jim i think it was just down to the zoom on the xerox going wrong when chevy got the plans for the gt and then looked in the engine bay at all that space and said "bet we can get a V8 in there " after all we've all done it (the thought anyway) :D

(btw i still like my Fix On Roadsides Daily )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whose "favorite" what is name of 1968Opel designer???.

PROPEL said:
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Opel+GT&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1

"The Opel GT is a two-seat sports car introduced by Opel in 1968. Its styling was unmistakably like the Chevrolet Corvette of that year. Although they were designed by the same person, the Opel GT came first and is regarded as his "'Favorite' in his memoirs."
////////////////////////////
Who is the designer of the 68 opel gt????????????

·
Registered
213 Posts
its Chuck Jordan... and his team.. or so you said.. you also said, that his favourite car is the opel commodore B, and not the GT. allthough i can't really believe that.

and how was the engine in experimental stage? wasn't the CIH engine introduced in 66. in the Opel Rekord B long before the 68 GT?

·
Opeler
1,332 Posts
Nice find Walter. Great article. I really liked this part:
"There are many GT owner clubs in USA, Germany and elsewhere. Absolutely the biggest on-line forum is The Classic Opel Community." :cool:
Gary, where did you find this in the article? This is what i have been looking for.
I cant figure out where Propel found his quote either.

Karl

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Gary, where did you find this in the article? This is what i have been looking for.
I cant figure out where Propel found his quote either.

Karl
Karl - That was in the original Wikipedia listing. It must have been edited out when the "New" GT came out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts