Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the veterans that have restored their vehicles,

What is the recommended installation order to put the last few pieces on my vehicle:

install the dash before the windshield?
OR
install the windshield before the dash?

OGTS recommends the dash before the glass but I do not see how you would have room to put the string between the top of the dash and the bottom of the windshield gasket at the bottom of the windshield.

:sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,606 Posts
I think it boils down to how easily YOU think that YOU can get the dash screws installed on YOUR particular car. On some cars the dash lines up good and the screws along the bottom of the windshield go in without too much fuss. If you have a reclaimed/recovered dash, all bets are off and there might be all sorts of alignment issues.

I've had my windshield gasket replaced by pros back in the 80's, while I watched, with the oem dash still in place and all went well. I have also installed the windshield on my GTX car with custom dashboard already installed and it was easy as pie. I have also in the past removed my oem dashboard several times with the windshield in place. The screws didn't give me too much trouble, but were tedious to install and a loooooooong screwdriver was needed.

I wouldn't worry one bit about the installed dash interfering with installing the windshield and gasket via the rope trick. You put the gasket and rope/wire on the windshield BEFORE you lay it in place. I had a helper apply broad pressure to the windshield in the area that I was pulling the rope from and had no difficulty with the dash interfering.

Reading back on what I've just written, I guess I'm saying to install the dash first and the windshield last.

·
Über Genius
9,084 Posts
I can say from experience that it's easier to put a windshield in with the dash in place than a dash with the windshield in place.

I've done both. There's a trick to the dash install if the windshield is in place.

·
Opeler
890 Posts
I think there has been a lot of discussion on this subject in other threads. I came across an old one of these when I removed my dash a couple of years ago. It worked great for me.

image.jpeg Adjusting Tool, Carburetor, Flexible, 19 3/4"

·
Can Opeler
3,360 Posts
I've done it both ways. I haven't had an issue either way. I'd put the dash in first though as the dash doesn't get in the way of window install at all as long as you use the string technique. I used electrical wire with a little oil rubbed on it. Worked great, took less than 5 minutes to install with dash in.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
No contest, Dash First.

Knorm's idea of using electrical wire with oil sounds good. I usually use weed eater line and lots of spray silicone. But Like El Gordo mentioned, you need a helper to gently apply broad pressure from the outside while you do it.

Nobody mentioned taking the windshield back out, but. If the old windshield is cracked or whatever, and the rubber is still good, then just push it out. If you want to reuse the windshield, then even if the rubber is good. Don't chance it, just cut it, and be safe.

Lastly, some folks, and the book, recommend putting some kind of sealer on the rubber.

I disagree, if you work it in gently, take your time, and do it right, it won't leak.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
On my 70 I had the dash out to have a cover made and don't recall having any particular trouble reinstalling it with the windshield in. At least it wasn't painful enough to leave memory scars. I do remember the long screwdriver though.

·
Senior Contributor
5,003 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,481 Posts
IMHO if they are both out there is no debate.. Dash first.

IF the windshield is in the dash can come out without the windsheld being removed.. BUT I find replaceing the windshield is fairly easy and straightforward with two people that have done it once or twice before. Especially if you use GT/J Rubber.

So if the rubber is older and dry, I will pull the windshield to get the dash out.. its just that much easier. Also then you get new rubber for the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts