Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I put my spoiler and skirts on, I am going to strip the old paint off and then put some primer on it. Should I go ahead and shoot some paint on there anyway since no one is going to see it? Or, do you all have some other recommendations?

1,844 Posts
No paint , but use a etching primer , to seal area .Cost is greater but so is
protection. Napa , & Sherwin /Williams automotive paints ( in Chamblee)
are someplaces to buy .. hope this helps. :)

· Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John,

I've got an automotive paint supply place here in Cumming I can go to for that "etching primer". I appreciate the help. I can't imagine I'd need more than a quart do you?

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
a quart of etch primer will do the whole car inside and out ,but will not seal it as its porous , btw as it is a mix of primer and phosporic acid (the activator in seperate bottle ) use a particulate filtre mask

the best way for painting is to use etch primer ,then a high build acrilic filler(this is the coat that you block sand with 600 grit to get the finnish in good shape),then you put on a colour coat of high gloss 2 pack paint or the colour coat for metalic (for metalic you finnish with clear coat to protect and shine )

leave for a month or so then block sand with 1000 grit wet and dry and use a good cutting compound to put the shine on it , 1 more month then polish :D :D

· Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that sounds all great if I was painting the whole car, but this is just to prep the part of the car that will be hidden by the front spoiler and side skirts. I just want to make sure it is protected so it doesnt start to rust, as I wont be able to see it since it will be covered up.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Bertie Germ!

Thom71GT said:
Before I put my spoiler and skirts on, I am going to strip the old paint off and then put some primer on it. Should I go ahead and shoot some paint on there anyway since no one is going to see it? Or, do you all have some other recommendations?
You need to finish coat it under there - or horrible rust may get started in between the layers - a good coating of non-porous paint like POR-15 would be even better.

· Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got some POR-15 and I might just do that and then a primer and and a coat of black paint for good measure. I'll take all of these ideas to the paint store and then get their opinion and then make a decision.

Thanks all

· opel assimilated
145 Posts
POR 15, then primer, and definately paint. Most primers are not made for exposure to the elements at all. Even though it is under your side skirts, it still needs painted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.