Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This absolutely shouldn't be this difficult, but it's been kicking my #$$... to the point that I have likely damaged the threads on the steering shaft to the point that I may have to replace it.

I have no idea how the factory intended for someone to pull the wheel (as it's lacing the threaded holes I'm familiar with). The little slots are so small that none of my pullers would fit... and I think that anything that would fit would lack the necessary strength.

I've actually applied so much force by wrapping the wheel to hold the puller in place that I've actually stripped TWO of my pullers... combined with careful taps to the steering shaft and not so careful dead hammer blows to the back of the wheel while under pressure... and even using an impact wrench (on a low setting) on the puller to provide some mechanical agitation... the wheel hasn't even budged. I'vr never seen anything like it.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to cut it off with a sawzall.... I fear any more use of a puller will finish off the steering shaft. (Are these available/same as a Senator?)

Thanks!
Bill

·
UngerDog
1,284 Posts
I have no idea how the factory intended for someone to pull the wheel

I don't think the factory intended for people without the proper tools to try and pull the steering wheel off. I have done it before without a puller, but I have also had some where I couldn't. With a little bit of work you can make your own puller that will do the trick. It will make things so much easier and you won't do any damage to yourself or your car. And, you know pulling a steering wheel is like eating potato chips...you just can't stop after one.

Jerry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much for the link... that indeed explains how the factory intended one to pull the wheel.

I actually started to make my own puller arms from a 5/16 bolt as described in the article, but with the amount of pressure I was using I didn't think that would work.

Both of my pullers were actual (universal) automotive steering wheel pullers and with the amount of pressure I was putting on the wheel, they definitely should have worked (and always have in the past... even on a relatively fragile Ferrari rim that had been on much longer than the Bitter one has)

I will order one of the Opel-specific pullers and see how that works.

Thanks again!
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts