Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i need help ive been building gokarts dirt-bikes and i now have the worlds 2nd fastest mobility scooter. well i want to make a fast car now i was given this opel at the age of 10. i want to put a v6 chevy engine in it. what all will i need to do to the car, also will i have to reinforce the unibody to compensate for the power of the v6.

·
Super Moderator
9,719 Posts
PLEASE read this thread FIRST!!!!

This is a noble undertaking, but, before another GT dies a horrible death, please read this thread in it's entirety:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/engine-swap-forum/4281-willit-update-45.html
It shows how it SHOULD be done, and done properly. It's not as easy, or cheap as you might think. Unless you're willing to see the project through to the end, don't start. That being said, there are a few choices for "bolt in" motors, which can be built to whatever HP your wallet can handle, and still keep a GT body from being destroyed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Back to the original post...
The world's 2nd fastest mobility scoot?
Being as I am swiftly approaching the
point of needing one I often ponder
modifying one for quickness. Having
drag races in the nursing home, hill
climbs over dirty laundry. Anyway,
what mods, how fast, do you need
a helmet? Are there sanctioned
races?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
OK i need help ive been building gokarts dirt-bikes and i now have the worlds 2nd fastest mobility scooter. well i want to make a fast car now i was given this opel at the age of 10. i want to put a v6 chevy engine in it. what all will i need to do to the car, also will i have to reinforce the unibody to compensate for the power of the v6.
I am glad that you want to undertake a large project, shows initiative which you will need as you get older.

Putting a V-6 in a GT is not a big deal and NO, you will not kill the car with the modifications. You will be modifying three areas that can be easily restored to original form. So, do not let the Opel gods talk you out of a simple project for whatever the reason. The complete conversion should cost you about $3,000 for a carb engine/5-speed and can be done in less than a week. If you have no working experience with sheetmetal and welding, I strongly recomend you seek out someone to help you. And if you do not have the cash to get it done, postpone the activity and wait until you do.

I said it many times here in the forum, define your objective, set the plan in motion and follow the plan until completion without deviating. End result will be a car that you will enjoy driving as much as showing.

Send me an email if you need help in the matter.

·
1000 Post Club
4,112 Posts
I believe reality lies between "many years to complete" and "less than a week". I like my cars original, but that is just me. It is your car, do as you wish, but as others have stated, think your plan through before putting anything in action.

Try to go to any Opel gathering or car shows in general and talk to people. There have been pleanty of engine swaps done on many different cars. People love to talk about their cars, no matter what they did to them. You can pick up a lot of pointers from these car shows.

Go on Ebay and type in an old car like "Nova" or "Vega" and you will find examples of perfect original examples to extreme hot rods. Some are great, some look like, well, you get the idea.

Keep us in the loop and Good Luck in whatever you decide.

·
789 Posts
The best V6 conversion that I have seen and driven was the late Ron DeLoziers Silver Bullet he called "Willit".(search that name on this forum and you will get a ton of info)
I beleive he said he had around $30,000 in his car and he told me he got his GM V6 engine for $250

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I believe reality lies between "many years to complete" and "less than a week". I like my cars original, but that is just me. It is your car, do as you wish, but as others have stated, think your plan through before putting anything in action.

Try to go to any Opel gathering or car shows in general and talk to people. There have been pleanty of engine swaps done on many different cars. People love to talk about their cars, no matter what they did to them. You can pick up a lot of pointers from these car shows.

Go on Ebay and type in an old car like "Nova" or "Vega" and you will find examples of perfect original examples to extreme hot rods. Some are great, some look like, well, you get the idea.

Keep us in the loop and Good Luck in whatever you decide.
He is not restoring the complete car, just swapping the engine.

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info i hope i get more.

Thanks very much for everyone who has contributed to my post.
well the work i have done to mines is pulled out the wiring harness and all the interior a rat got in the car and ate it all.

well i think i would like to talk to blancojp sounds like he has done this before.

well what are the first steps i need to do.

and can someone tell me if i need to build a roll bar for strength.
thanks for every one who contributed i hop to hear more. thanks again.

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
michaedo

and this is for michaedo my mods were i put a 5hp briggs motor on it its top speed is 45m.p.h. and if you go to you tube and type in 57vett you will see two videos if it. also you can run it on propane so it will be safe indoors.

·
1000 Post Club
4,112 Posts
He is not restoring the complete car, just swapping the engine.
I understand what you are saying, but from your signature line, you do this for a living so you have the expertise to do it. A person like me doesn't have the skills to pull it off in such a short time period. I just want him to know it is not a direct swap without any body reinforcements. We wish him all the luck in the world, but I don't want someone to get frustrated and then give up. I'm glad there are people like you out there he can actually ship the car to and have have it done correctly if that is the path he wants to go down.

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well ive been building gokarts mini bikes and a bunch or other stuff for the last 10 years im only 16.. and my dad has been building cars and stuff his whole life. at my h.s. i have the most knowledge in this area out of every one..

I just need a quick summary of what i will need to do. like step 1, 2, 4, 5,6

And what all reinforcements i will need to add.

·
1000 Post Club
4,112 Posts
well ive been building gokarts mini bikes and a bunch or other stuff for the last 10 years im only 16.. and my dad has been building cars and stuff his whole life. at my h.s. i have the most knowledge in this area out of every one..
Cool, it sounds like you have a great background along with your father. Good Luck and keep us in the loop. It sounds like this project is headed down the right path.:yup:

·
1000 Post Club
4,112 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Thanks very much for everyone who has contributed to my post.
well the work i have done to mines is pulled out the wiring harness and all the interior a rat got in the car and ate it all.

well i think i would like to talk to blancojp sounds like he has done this before.

well what are the first steps i need to do.

and can someone tell me if i need to build a roll bar for strength.
thanks for every one who contributed i hop to hear more. thanks again.
Continue the work by taking the engine and tranny out then you can plan for the activity.

My shop makes an exhaust manifold specially for the Opel Gt, when installing a 2.8 through a 3.4 engines on the car. The motor mounts will change to bisquit style, just like the '57 chevy and the rest is just two sheets 12"x18", 20ga sheet metal that you can buy at Home Depot for $7.00 each. Since you will maintain the torque tube, very little is needed otherwise.

Hope this helps.

·
Non Civilian
2,090 Posts
How much are you asking for the manifolds?

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok i will putt the motor out around the beginning of july because im moving houses right know.

and i hope to hear more advice because its helping me.

Also im getting my certification welding license soon,

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but from your signature line, you do this for a living so you have the expertise to do it. A person like me doesn't have the skills to pull it off in such a short time period. I just want him to know it is not a direct swap without any body reinforcements. We wish him all the luck in the world, but I don't want someone to get frustrated and then give up. I'm glad there are people like you out there he can actually ship the car to and have have it done correctly if that is the path he wants to go down.
I have heard the statement before, " A person like me does not have the skills....", then you surprise yourself on how easy it is to do it after you get it done.

I had a 20 Year old woman install a 3.1L engine on her MG all by herself. She had no clue as to what a wrench was and kept fuzzing about her nails getting damaged. Gargoyles had a field day immitating her manerisms and I also made a bet with the guys she would back down after a few hours of work. She installed the engine/tranny assembly on her car by herself with no help(other than instructions), drove it home in just a few days and it ended up costing me $500 since I lost the bet.

If you know what needs to be done and which area you need to work on, the job becomes just a minor task. That is the purpose of a club, a knowledge pool which can be beneficial while doing any repair or upgrade activity.

·
1000 Post Club
4,112 Posts
I agreee with what you are saying as I have experienced the same thing. Doing something for the first time can be scary, but after you do it, you say to yourself "that wasn't too bad". Some people can do it and others can't (or won't).

My first two Opels I towed home. One with a bad cam, which I had someone replace, and another with a bad engine, which I replaced myself. Metric tools were not as common as they are now so that was another challenge. I never replaced an engine in my life, but I read the manual and did it. I do have a mechanical mind, so it all clicked as I went along. If I asked my neighbor to do it, the car would still be in pieces. It all depends on the person and their willingness to try. It sounds like this GT will have a very good chance seeing the light of day, but as you and I know, we have seen too many cars in general go to the scrap heap because, they lost interest or it was poorly done. We have all seen "repairs" done by previous owners and wonder what they were thinking, i.e. romex wireing with wire nuts installed as replacement pieces. Body shops with interesting body repairs, etc.

I just want to tell people to make their car safe and dependable for their own interest as well as the interest of others who will be sharing the road with them.

My best wishes go to 57vett and I would like to see pictures of the progress and the final product. This site is great and I'm sure we will be able to help if and when he needs it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts