Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked at the feasibility of using an 89 through 94 Olds Quad Four 2.3 liter? These little motors are light and stock will provide around 190 hp, with some mods it can easily produce 210+ Hp.

Thanks,

·
Registered
149 Posts
I looked at this 5 years ago. What I remember is the starter is on the drivers side (front on FWD). It'll take some work to make it RWD as some things are backwards. Getting a tranny or bellhousing with a drivers side starter is tough. The engine itself is powerful considering it's size. There are aftermarket and factory performance parts available. It'd be great if you can get past the FWD related issues.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be interested to see that conversion SVOPEL. Maybe the guy that did it will speak up if he's around here. One of the guys I work with is building one of these engines for his son and they seem to have a lot of mods available. He's been able to get several of these engine VERY cheap, Like in the 100.00 range. I'm not really hot to do a swap but this might be good one if the problems that GT-Freak pointed out can be overcome.

BTW, I'm new here so, what is Carlisle?

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
It is the Carlisle, PA "Import & Kit Car" show held in May every year, but, tons of imports show, and we try to make this the East Coast major Opel gathering. If you go to the photo section on this site and look for Carlisle 2003, you can get a good look at the field that was there earlier this year.

·
179 Posts
I think that Doug Grove was the name of the guy who had the Olds Quad 4 at Carlisle. I believe the issues he ran into was that the motor was very tall and was tough to stuff into an Opel engine bay. The Quad 4 also had problems steming from the dual cam and is less reliable than other engine swap choices.

I looked at the webpage Nathan referenced above and parts seem to be quite expensive...

·
Administrator
10,291 Posts
Yes, it was Doug Grove's wife's white GT. A pic is Here He brought that one and a sweet red GT to Carlisle back in 1997. Entered them in the Custom Compact show and the white one with the Quad 4 took second (or third) place.

·
1971 GT
638 Posts
Confirmed - The white testarossa GT was first and the 2.3l red was second in the Radical Class.

I knew I kept these old printed copies of the OANA newsletter for a reason

·
Opeler
3,143 Posts
Quad4 GT Sold on eBay - $12.5K

eBay Motors: Opel : Opel (item 260145920905 end time Aug-09-07 13:35:11 PDT)

Painesville, Ohio
This Opel GT has been in many car shows, in three different states and has always placed 1st or 2nd. All body, suspension, brakes, wheels, and other misc parts are all from Opel GT Source in California. Engine and the car after restoration, has approx 12,000 miles. Restoration took eight months to complete. This car is a head turner where ever you go!! It also sounds as bad as it looks. 2 1/4 pipe to the rear and dual chrome 3 inches out the back. The flip head lights work with ease. I took many hours to get them to work in this condition. This is a street legal car. This car also comes with a Custom European rear license plate that reads "OPEL 1972" I used this at car shows. A-1 condition locking gas cap. Doors shut like off the show room. Rear windows open also. No cracks or wiper scratches in the windshield.

MOTOR:
Powered by a high output Quad4 Pontiac Engine new out of the crate. Dual 45mm DCOE side draft carburetor's, Pontiac Rocket parts aluminum intake. Custom made Stainless Steel Header. Electromotive HPV-1 direct ignition system with Rev limiter. Motor is approx 217hp. (estimated by professionals)
DRIVE TRAIN:
10" Ceramic Button Clutch Disc, 5 speed Aluminum Borg Warner T-10 Transmission, Opel 3.67:1 Ring and Pinion rear end.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
really nice gt

I think someone got a heck of a nice car.

·
Opeler
3,143 Posts
Quad4 Fit in GT Engine Comparment

Picture of Quad4 in GT engine compartment looks nice.
Questions:
1. If GT radiator brace or heater core sheet metal required modification to clear carburetors and/ or exhaust?
2. Weight of Quad4 Vs GT engine?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts