Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI! Sure would be nice to know if there are any other Quebec Opel nuts out there ! Let me know if any exist . Thanks . John

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry make that au revoir. Not so good at French out this way.Dale
I'm not so good at french either as I came from Ontario. Still nice to say hi to a Canadian opeler! If you ever come out this way...

John

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
I'm not so good at french either as I came from Ontario. Still nice to say hi to a Canadian opeler! If you ever come out this way...

John
John,
Come back to Ontario.....ther's quite a few Opel heads here....:veryhappy

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

John
Hi john.Yes it seems that the bulk of the opels are on the eastern seabourd.Anyone out there know the reason why? seems weird though that OGTS isn't where the bulk of the opels are or is there a similar company out east.??

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John,
Come back to Ontario.....ther's quite a few Opel heads here....:veryhappy
I go back to Ontario often to see family in Oakville ,Burlington, Quelph and friends around Toronto; it's home! I intend to take the Opel for a toronto road trip . I had my first Opel in 1972 when I lived in Mississauga and I bought a 1971 silver GTwith 6000 miles and i've been hooked ever since.Unfortunately that car was totalled by a taxi in 1973.Ohhh the memories!

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi john.Yes it seems that the bulk of the opels are on the eastern seabourd.Anyone out there know the reason why? seems weird though that OGTS isn't where the bulk of the opels are or is there a similar company out east.??
There is no company out east that I know of but ogts ships efficiently from my experience. I have restored many makes and models over the years and people in central and eastern Canada and northeastern US. have always suffered from very severe rust on their cars due to the large amounts of salt put on our roads have found it cheaper to ship a fairly rust free car from western Canada or the southern states.I remember this going on since the 70's. These cars were generally restored and garaged in bad weather and therefore there are many good old cars out this way.Areas with a warm climate tended to drive their cars year round till they dropped providing minimum maintainance. Today some of the best cars are in the east! There are many more parts cars out west. California where ogts is located has a large population and a larger number of old cars driven daily therefore more repairs and parts required.California has always been car central with good shipping access to europe as well. I prefer to find a southern or western car which has been stored and is unrestored and original. John

·
Old Car Guy !!
54 Posts
Blue Opel GT

Saw a nice blue GT at Pt Ste Charles in Montreal parked beside CN main track all fall; probably in storage now for winter. So there is another in Quebec for sure.

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried last spring to buy a blue Opel gt in Sherbrooke Quebec and a guy in Montreal bought it and I haven't seen it since. Maybe thats the car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
new montreal opeler

i just bought an old rusty opel gt for 500 dollars here in montreal quebec.
i plan restore it and paint it dark red.

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just bought an old rusty opel gt for 500 dollars here in montreal quebec.
i plan restore it and paint it dark red.
Yeah! Another Opeler in Quebec.Glad to hear from you! Feel free to Email I am in the townships 45 minuites from Montreal. Perhaps I can be of help.
John.

·
Opeler
80 Posts
Quebec/Ontario Summer runs

John,

We will have some Summer Cruisin, for sure. I can always fire the BBQ up for an evening if you and the Quebec Opels want a run out to the border. Otherwise we can take advantage of some great roads around here and drive along the St Lawrence seaway , it passes a good pub. Fish and Chips on the menu.:veryhappy

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sounds like fun! You can count on it! :D You're also welcome to come out to the Eastern Townships anytime. :) Nice to hear of somebody close, if you call the border close! I'll definitely make the trip in good weather.

John

·
Opeler
80 Posts
John,
I'm looking forward to it, bring the 'rebel' with you :) , perhaps she can help with the bazillion ongoing projects in the garage and barn...what do you know about welding a cast manifold? ( 1956 Citroen, oops did I say that out loud!) then there's bleeding the clutch on the rag top GT with the quad 4. Did you ever go to the Orange Julip (sp ?) in Montreal on a Tuesday, great turn out and a mixed bunch of classics.
Derek

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John,
I'm looking forward to it, bring the 'rebel' with you :) , perhaps she can help with the bazillion ongoing projects in the garage and barn...what do you know about welding a cast manifold? ( 1956 Citroen, oops did I say that out loud!) then there's bleeding the clutch on the rag top GT with the quad 4. Did you ever go to the Orange Julip (sp ?) in Montreal on a Tuesday, great turn out and a mixed bunch of classics.
Derek
I'll bring her with me, she's my shadow. I also have identical twin 14-year old girls, so I'm a busy man. The bazillion projects sounds cool. No, I've never been to the Orange Julip but sounds like fun. Where is it located? Can't wait!

Welding cast can be difficult due to the impurities of the casting which can weaken the weld. Certain castings are worse than others. Some can be MIG welded or TIG welded depending on the metal composition of the casting. It's been a long time since I worked on a Citroen (33 yrs) and I can't remember what the manifold is made of. Let me know, perhaps I can help you out. :yup:

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts