Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tbags32
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was losing some brake fluid so I checked the wheels. My rear drum cylinders were leaking. So I replace both of them. Now I am attempting to bleed them starting with the rear wheels first and with the cap off of my full fluid reserve. However I cannot get the brakes to pump up any pressure. The hoses are fine and the master cylinder was fine prior to replacing the wheel cylinders. This one is baffling me. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Get yourself a Power Bleeder. It's the greatest thing you can buy. It looks like a garden fertilizer sprayer with a gauge. Fill it with a pint/quart of brake fluid, clamp or screw it onto your master cylinder, and pump it up to 10-15 psi. Then go to your brakes and slip the included hose and catch bottle onto your brake bleeders. Loosen the bleeder and watch the fluid stream through the hose into the bottle. This is IMPORTANT: Let the fluid keep running until no more bubbles and NO MORE RED RUSTY FLUID comes out. Some of our Opel gurus have said that you should bleed your Opel brakes once a year because of the water and consequent rust that gets into the fluid. Brake fluid is hydro-attractive, which means that it absorbs water from the air. A gas station told me that if you pour 10 pounds of brand new brake fluid into a bucket and let it sit out for a week and weigh it again, it will end up weighing 11 pounds because of the water it sucked out of the air. That water rusts out the inside of your brake calipers and cylinders. It's a good policy to bleed your brakes once a year. The whole system only holds about 1/2 of a cup of fluid, so you don't have to bleed all that much out to flush the old fluid out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motive-Pro...=39228495850870e33fa32c09409d8487c9e8bb72b449

P.S. It only takes one little bubble to make your brake pedal go to the floor. Try to get all the bubbles out.

·
Tbags32
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Sifi Guy for the advice. The Power Bleeder is on order and hopefully in by next weekend. Thanks again.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Not sure how the OP is doing it but some tips:

If you are pumping the fluid, then you need to open the bleeder, then have someone push the pedal down, HOLD it while you close the bleeder, and then let up the pedal. You cannot pump the pedal up and down with the bleeder open and get anywhere.

The end of the bleeder hose should always be submerged in brake fluid to avoid drawing any air back in during the bleeding process.

Any time you pump the brakes to bleed, the pedal needs to be pushed slooowly to the floor and sloowly let back up, not fast. Take 1-2 seconds for the travel in each direction. Fast pedal movements entrain air bubbles into the fluid, and also are less effective in dislodging and moving discrete air bubbles out of the wheel cylinders and calipers.

Don't over-pressure a power bleeder. Crack the bleeder just a small amount to let the fluid flow slowly; again, fast movement of fluid can generate air bubbles or not get them to release from the interior walls of parts. Similarly with a vacuum bleeder: go slow.

You can do a lot of good with gravity bleeding when the MC has been used and still has fluid in it; fill the MC and crack a bleeder open with the end of the bleeder hose in fluid. Keep an eye on it while you do other things. This will effectively bleed most of the air out and the final bleeding will be very simple.

Along with the above: If you are replacing just one part, pull the hose or line off the part, and immediately plug the line, to keep the rest of the fluid in the MC and lines. If you keep the MC from draining down to the bottom, where air gets drawn into the MC and lines, bleeding will be a snap.

Always follow instructions on a new MC to bench bleed it before mounting on the car. Lack of proper bench bleeding is a big source of bleeding problems with a new MC.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Get yourself a Power Bleeder. It's the greatest thing you can buy. It looks like a garden fertilizer sprayer with a gauge. Fill it with a pint/quart of brake fluid, clamp or screw it onto your master cylinder, and pump it up to 10-15 psi. Then go to your brakes and slip the included hose and catch bottle onto your brake bleeders. Loosen the bleeder and watch the fluid stream through the hose into the bottle. This is IMPORTANT: Let the fluid keep running until no more bubbles and NO MORE RED RUSTY FLUID comes out. Some of our Opel gurus have said that you should bleed your Opel brakes once a year because of the water and consequent rust that gets into the fluid. Brake fluid is hydro-attractive, which means that it absorbs water from the air. A gas station told me that if you pour 10 pounds of brand new brake fluid into a bucket and let it sit out for a week and weigh it again, it will end up weighing 11 pounds because of the water it sucked out of the air. That water rusts out the inside of your brake calipers and cylinders. It's a good policy to bleed your brakes once a year. The whole system only holds about 1/2 of a cup of fluid, so you don't have to bleed all that much out to flush the old fluid out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motive-Pro...=39228495850870e33fa32c09409d8487c9e8bb72b449

P.S. It only takes one little bubble to make your brake pedal go to the floor. Try to get all the bubbles out.
True on the bubbles. I never used one that Gordo described, but a mityvac Vacuum Pump, left the Master cyl open and hooked one end to the drivers side, bled it and then the passengers side. In my defense, I rebuilt all my brakes when I "renewed" the Gt. Link follows: Jarrell
https://www.harborfreight.com/mityv...MIz5HNr_OA4wIVh7XACh1ngw_dEAQYBCABEgLloPD_BwE

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Reactions: Manta Rallier

·
Opeler
942 Posts
I use this. ABN | One Man Brake Bleeder Kit - Small Brake Bleeder Bottle Brake Bleeding Kit with Magnet for One Man Jobs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SYQQ6KK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YXdeDbNHB2QD6

It works excellently. Much better than my mityvac did. Sometimes simple just works!
I didn't buy such a fancy bottle. I simply attached a clear hose to the bleeder and the other end submerged in a little brake fluid in small jar. I do that or gravity bleed. Both methods have given me superb results. Just be sure to keep the master cylinder full.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts