Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how they work or if possible can they be used on a car that is originally a distribor car?

I am having a hard time trying to get a distributor

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Iceman, if you talking about the coil packs from the V-6, they won't work with a distributor system. They are fired in pairs by the engine computer and have a triggering switch inside to tell which pack to fire. So unless you go back to the computer system, they won't work.

Ron

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the thing is my distributor wont fit. so i thought coil packs might work but i would use an ignition box my question is how could i mount them if my distributor wont fit?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im also looking for a good coil pack for the gt. The new engine project should have full engine managment on it, and hopefully a turbo ( the engine managment setup im looking at is sort of a DIY effort). Also I'd prefer a coil pack that was easier on the budget, any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen coil packs on summit racing as low as 30 dollars but dont know if they will work. or where to mount them another thing is youll need an ignition box

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
O.K. guys, here's the real deal on the coil packs. Without the engine computer, they will not work. It takes 3 sensor inputs to tell the coil packs when to fire. The high and low speed crankshaft sensors and the cam sensor, and there are inputs to the computer from a multitude of sensors to vary the advance.

Iceman, I would reread the articles by Mike Pilkenton to see which distributor he used. And to see how he mounted his engine to use a distributor. I know if I had to use a distributor, my engine would have to be mounted a lot farther forward, which would mean the tranny shift lever would have to be modified, and probably lower too.

Kmon, I would seriously look into use the computer designed for the 3.4. If you read the manuals on the distributorless system you'll see there are a lot of sensor inputs needed for the ignition system and a DIY computer may not work without a lot of modification. JMTCW.

BTW, originally I had the coil packs bolted to the front of the right (driver's side) head. I will probably have to move it after I get the exhaust manifolds and AC compressor installed. I have thought about mounting the coil packs to the brace that goes between the brake pedal and the brake booster. HTH.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts