Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When replacing the points do I have to do any thing to prepare for the switch or is it a direct unbolt-bolt type of operation?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Al, remove the screw, disconnect the wire and remove the old points plate. Put the new one in with the screw, connect the wires, set the rubbing block on the high side of the cam lobe and set the points to .018" or 50 degrees dwell. Don't forget to put some high temp grease on the cam lobes. Recheck the ignition timing. That's all there is to it. HTH.

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
you have to set the engine so that the heal on the points is at the top of the lobe(points open to there max)
then change the points and replace the pinch screw ,just nip it up so you can use a flat screwdriver to move the base plate to open the points and just get a 16 thou feeler gauge in the gap of the contacts ,then tighten the pinch screw tight
replace the dust cover, rotor arm(its crazy how many people forget it the first time) and dizzy cap and it should fire up ok
you may have to move the dizzy body to get the heal back on to the very top of the lobe on rare occasions ,but only maybe 1 in 100 times if the points are made a little wrong

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Baz, that's what I thought it was too. But to double check, I went to my Clymer's and it indicates .018" for all 1.9 engines prior to 74, and dwell angle is indicated to be 50 +/- 2. I guess if the dwell is set correctly at 50 the feeler gage will be correct too. It's these little disparities that drive me nuts. :eek:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yeah, Baz, it was because there's no timing marks or points or carbs or nothing to mess with. It's all computer controlled. All I'll have to do, when it's done, is just jump in and drive. I will have to change the oil and filter at regular intervals, and maybe the plugs once a year or so, but that's about it? :p

·
Opeler
3,143 Posts
Ignition Point Set

If possible, try to find GP Sorensen 205013S Ignition Point Set (Blue Streak), except they may cost approx. $19.00 - WOW! Special Order!

NAPA lists $10 point set - Item#: ECHCS313.

Still running my cheap AutoZone points past year or so. Keep thinking of Petronix. Blue Streak points set is still in glove box.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
Where they Blue Streak or Bosch?

Blue Streak last damn near forever.... they are the best thing next to a pertronix and cheaper.

Charles

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
Bosch are good, but standard OEM.. better than most else that is available. Replaced every 5000 miles or so. Unless you adjust regularly.

Also be sure to replace the condensor with the points or they will burn out quick,

Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.