Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Manta Owner
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a LARGE toolbox manufacturer and am in the design department. I work as a Designer/Drafter and would like to here your ideas about toolboxes. All your likes, dislikes, and ideas for what you would like to see would be appreiciated. I can't garrentee any of your ideas or thoughts willmake it anywhere. I am low on the totem pole but, at least I can give it a shot.

Another thing, NO! I cannot get you a deal on a new box... We as employees don't even get that, yet... there is always hope.

Either respond here, NO ARGUING, or PM me your ideas and i will see what i can do.

Thanks,

Dean

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
My thoughts......

A couple of features usually missing from larger wheel around and cart type tool boxes that I would find handy at times would be a built in power outlet strip with reel retracting cord so as to have easy electrical power at the box to run tools using the work bench top. Also, possibly compressed air outlets
on the box with the same reel type connection to the building.

Another would be a shop/paper towel holder on the side of the box.

I just looked through Snap-on's catalog # 1000 and didn't see that they offer either feature as an option or standard on any size box.
I may have missed the listing though.

Anyway, my thoughts for what it's worth. :cool:

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Well, my biggest annoyance concerns tool storage on the OUTSIDE of the toolbox. Everyone has a certain number of tools that they either use really often or that they will need for a specific job, and for that reason a lot of people put magnetic srtips of their toolboxes to hold their metal tools. Well, when I do all of my electrical work, the tools are normally so well insulated that they simply can't stick to the magnetic strip (thats if they have any metal in them at all). If you figure out a way to hold tools like that without having annoying hooks that can grab your shirt as you walk by, I would buy one in a second. . .

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Like hand toolboxes, truck ones, or shop ones?

For hand ones, I'd like something briefcase sized, with a fold-out handle and big wheels on the sides so it could roll around like luggage. Add another fold-out do it can be used as a dolly to carry parts and you'd have the perfect tool for u-pull-it yards or hauling other tools or equipment around.

I also loved the old tool-n-fuel box, jerry can on top and tool storage on bottom, though I'd prefer it to be round and fit inside a spare tire. An extra gallon of gas and some tools safe to carry in the trunk out of sight would really be worth it to me.

For truck ones, I'd like one that mounts in front of the rear wheel and swings down and out for use. Motor operated or gas assist, let me store my stuff in a totally wasted space on the truck, out of sight so no one knows it's there.

For the shop, something with a screwdriver rack, and one that holds a few of them. Maybe make the drawers a little shorter, so there is some room in the back behind them, and let the screwdrivers drop down through holes in the top opening part. No more stabbing myself with the pointy end in the dark, no more jig-saw puzzle to get them all in the box. Same for Allen wrenches, give me something to hold them instead of using a drill index.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,129 Posts
- battery charger / jump start possibilities,
- electric drive for the real big models,
- satellite radio and TV with big speakers,
- fridge for the beer, with tap as an option,
- fold-out compartment for a blonde helper (compartment must be lockable and sound proof),
- I'm sure I could think of more, but I need another beer first :lmao:

Dieter

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
I find transporting large (58") toolboxes gets tougher each time due to accumilation of tools, and requires a flatbed tilt trailer. What about some upper tiedown points more than one side handle that cannot handle a strap. Even side D-Rings or something incorporated would be handy-even chaining down in a shop to deter thieves. Even D-rings down low to where a winch could pull up on a trailer would be nice.
Power strips fail too often for me to want one permanent attached to the box.
I know they offer butcher block tops and Stainless, but what about a thick heavy duty plastic topper. Even have molded tray areas for small parts. It would be more cost effective compared to a 1500.00 top.
Keith

·
Manta Owner
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Info!

Thanks for the feedback Guys! I want as much info ro ideas as you can give me. I know you all do things to make your boxes special, if we can do things to help we want to do this from the start.

THANKS!!

Dean

·
UngerDog
1,290 Posts
- satellite radio and TV with big speakers,
- fridge for the beer, with tap as an option,
- fold-out compartment for a blonde helper (compartment must be lockable and sound proof),

Dieter
I'll buy one! Or maybe the economy model with a transistor radio with little speakers and cassette, an insulated beer can holder, and a place to clip a page out of your favorite blonde helper magazine.
Jerry

·
Opeler
113 Posts
My gripe is with road chests. I would like to have one that locks the drawers when the front is dropped but not locked with a key, and one that can have the front latched without a key. Everyone I have ever had ends up with a broken key or a lost key. With the last box I bought I removed the tumblers and just use a screwdriver as I live in an area where I don't worry about stuff getting stolen. When you are in and out of the box 20 times a day it will ruin a key in no time and you can't leave it unlocked and expect the drawers to stay shut. and please, if it has a drop front reinforce the corners. Drop front boxes are used in service pickups mostly to keep the rain & snow out and get bounced around. the corners will eventually crack. Even a very expenseive snap on didn't last two years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
all stainless steel dent resistent with a built in light.

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
Even side D-Rings or something incorporated would be handy-even chaining down in a shop to deter thieves. Even D-rings down low to where a winch could pull up on a trailer would be nice.
If you're going to do something like this you're going to have to make sure the wheels aren't the type to lock up on small obstacles.
Power strips fail too often for me to want one permanent attached to the box.Keith
I don't necessarily see a problem with this if you'll make them easily replaceable by the end user . Universal mounting area geared towards strips that can be purchased at the big box stores. If it has to be purchased from a specialty place like an industrial supply it's going to be inconvenient as the stores probably will close before the tool box owner can get off from work.

Harold

·
Incurable Opelitus
203 Posts
My main complaints w/ most toolboxes was that, while working under a car, I would constantly have to get up off the ground to get into the tool box (for a standard roll-around), or have to get up to move the toolbox a little closer to where I was working. So, I took my Kennedy toolbox (a barely portable toolbox w/ a top handle, about 2 feet high) and made a small, wheeled stand, about 4 inches high, w/ a small open tray area in front of the toolbox for parts, tools in use, etc. This way, it's easy to move around (I sometimes grab it with my heel to move it closer, so I don't have to sit up to grab a tool), and when I'm on my back under the car, the tools and anything on the front tray area are within easy reach, without me having to get up off the ground (at 50, I don't jump up as fast or easy as I used to; it's usually accompanied by some amount of grunting and groaning such as .."Oh, my back!" or "Oh my knees!").
This system seems to work well, and the only things I want to add to it are a gooseneck light and a plugstrip, and maybe a second tray above the toolbox, for when I'm working under the hood (of course, then I'll have to bend down to open the toolbox drawers.....hmmm). I realize there are probably commercial versions of this already.
JMTCW,
Randy

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Drawer sliders. Use the best you can get that will take a lot of weight. My craftsman box sliders suck, and my mack box is not much better. The snap-on sliders are fair to good. You need to use great ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts