Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question For Anyone Who HAs Upped The Wheel Size?

I was wondering who has upped the wheels on their GT. I am new to RWD cars and was wonering a few things, suppose i incresed the size rim to 15"

The bolt pattern is 4x100 right?

What is the offset if I upped the size to 15"

Does anyone have some pictures of GTs with 15s and no drop?

Lastly do people drop their cars when they up to 15"? If so who makes the springs?

Sorry, but like I said I am new to RWD.

Thanks
Chris

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
I was wondering who has upped the wheels on their GT. I am new to RWD cars and was wonering a few things, suppose i incresed the size rim to 15"

The bolt pattern is 4x100 right?

That is correct.

What is the offset if I upped the size to 15"

That depends on the wheel width

Does anyone have some pictures of GTs with 15s and no drop?

Check the photo section, numerous members here have 15" wheels or bigger.

Lastly do people drop their cars when they up to 15"? If so who makes the springs?

Your best bet is to contact Opel GT Source, they offer various springs for the GT.

Sorry, but like I said I am new to RWD.

Welcome to the club! RWD burnouts are so much more rewarding...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, I have been looking through that phot section but there isnt too much specifics in there so I came here to ask directly to the people. I would like to see some pictures of the GTs with 15s and not lowered. Also what is the stock wheels size?13"? (I dont have my GT yet, the guy is digging it out of his garage and bringing it to the shop soon)

And yes, I cant wait for RWD.

What width would I need, I mean there are tons of ricers around here that buy 15" rims, and choose to go up, so I can get them cheap and they are the same lug size. I believe they are 6-7" wide.

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
There's a whole forum devoted to wheels and tires, so I moved this thread there. Look around, as this has been discussed a lot.

My preference? 15 x 7, with an +'ve offset of not more than 20 mm, and a 205/50R15 tire. That size has a similar diameter to the stock 165R13/78 tire, so your speedo will still be accurate. Ask for a wheel that fits a '79 BMW 320i (they'll never be able to cross reference an Opel GT!)

HTH

·
188 Posts
rims and tires

my opel gt has 15 inch rims and its not lowered. thats what the guy said when i bought it from him. i have side skrits on my gt so it looks like its lowered but its not. i will try to put some pictures of my gt on. put i want to want until it stops raining. it been rain fro about a week now

·
1971 GT
636 Posts
One more point that I haven't seen in this forum.

When I went to the tire shop to look for rims, the guy phoned the manufacturer who was able to pull the rims as blanks and had them drilled to 4 x 100 for me. This really increased the selection that was available and didn't add any cost.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
One thing you are missing is that all these "ricers" running around with the same 4 x 100mm bolt pattern are FWD and have offsets that are around +44 or so. You can't put FWD wheels on a rear wheel car. Also, the thing I have found difficult is that many wheel manufacturers no longer make 15" wheels. Sometimes even 16" wheels are difficult to find. Or, at least your selection is somewhat limited.

My biggest problem is that I am EXTREMELY picky. If I am going to spend the money on new wheels and tires, I am going to get exactly what I want. Im going for a specific look and if I have to spend several grand to get it, then so be it.

Well, thats what I am doing. The wheels I have attached are Boyd Coddington wheels. The ones I am having made will be a 2 piece set cut from Billet alluminum and polished. I am going to have ehm made with a 5 x 4 or 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. Im having my hubs converted to that bolt pattern.

This whole job is going to cost probably a little over $3000. Yeah, some of you may say that's crazy, but its want I want to do and my baby is worth it.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok I'll say it one more time. The early Honda rims like for an accord will work, they have an ET of 32 but minimal spacing will make it just fine on the front and no problem on the back. the only thing is that all the sudden you have square geometry to deal with instead of a narrower front than rear. Honest, I've seen a bit of speed and they are all good. If I didn't know it to be true I'd never post it.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
I Could Not Agree With You More

Thom71GT said:
One thing you are missing is that all these "ricers" running around with the same 4 x 100mm bolt pattern are FWD and have offsets that are around +44 or so. You can't put FWD wheels on a rear wheel car. Also, the thing I have found difficult is that many wheel manufacturers no longer make 15" wheels. Sometimes even 16" wheels are difficult to find. Or, at least your selection is somewhat limited.

My biggest problem is that I am EXTREMELY picky. If I am going to spend the money on new wheels and tires, I am going to get exactly what I want. Im going for a specific look and if I have to spend several grand to get it, then so be it. I am going to have ehm made with a 5 x 4 or 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. Im having my hubs converted to that bolt pattern.

This whole job is going to cost probably a little over $3000. Yeah, some of you may say that's crazy, but its want I want to do and my baby is worth it.
I am staying with the 4 X 100 pattern, and the wheels are three piece for a little over $1500. So the Wheels cost more than what I paid for the car 29 years ago, and like you I will be barried in it so who cares, its what I want. Front 8 X 15 with a 4.75" back set and rear 11 X 15 with a 6.5" backset.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am using 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt wheels...they are 4 X 100 pattern..I use 205/50/15 tires and they look great...I took off the chevrolet stick on hub covers and replaced them with modern Opel sick on covers...bought them off EBAY...it's the same wheel.... nice with lots of offset..plus inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
I am running 16" wheels by Revo. I got lucky on the 20 mm offset, the outfit that sold them to me found them in a warehouse and gave me a deal on them. For specifics see my garage "bobbys girl". Hope that helps some.

Bob

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts