Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to eliminate the roll over head lights on my GT. Has someone here done this before? I never really liked them anyway, and there full of problems. If not I'll keep you up to date on what I do about mine.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
OH NO

Keep them. They are sooooo cooooool. The Gt is the only car in the world with lights like that!!!! FIx em. Its worth it.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would keep them But!! They almost got me killed one night. I kept them in good working order, and never had a problem. I hit a bump on a curve and the passenger light unlocked. Scared the h#ll out of me. They never worked right since.

Plus takeing them out will take weight out of the nose.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea. thats what I want to do to mine. Do you know what kind of lights they used, and the body work to make it look like that?

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
As a matter of fact I do......

I really like the looks of it so I tracked down the actual body shop that did it. NOT CHEAP. The lights are PIAA driving lights. 2 sets obviously. That'll run ya $300 alone probably.

Anyway, Cars Autobody in Pasadena

Daniel Gamez
626-796-3634

I called him and asked him how much to do that. He told me, labor alone was $700.

Someone told me that somewhere in one of these forums is a document with instructions on how to do that. Gary? Any idea on where that might be?

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I *believe* he's refering to an article that appeared in 'The Blitz' a while ago (last year perhaps?), describing the installation. It's definitely a job that requires certain tools and experience with sheet-metal fabrication. I'd contact John Seaman at www.opelclub.com and ask him, or try their archives online.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Headlights

My home state of SD, which is usually pretty lax on laws pertaining to cars has a minimum height spec. of 24" to the center of the bulb. Every single good looking fixed light conversion I have ever seen (and mine, which looked bad) was not legal because of this. Just one more thing to consider.

Perhaps the headlights from one of the Porsche's, 944's I believe, where the flip-up light comes up in the back instead of the front could be adapted? Otherwise, the hole where the headlight mechanism is is certainly big enough to fabricate a filler into with the regular flip-up lenses from anything you found an a junk-yard. Do it right, and if you decided later to go back to the roll over lights you could.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
24"

Well, fortunatley in GA, my car is old enough that it doesnt need to go through inspection and I seriously doubt that if I got pulled over that the cop would get out his measuring stick. AT least Id hope he/she wouldnt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just be glad you don't live in CA, I guess the rice burner guys there have a lot of problems with the gustapos isuing fix-it tickets for stupid little things, and they DO carry around a tape measure for just such things.

But I think most of us are safe because our cars fall under the "classic car" category, I think the cutoff point is mid 70's or something, plus it's the stock height, so they don't have much to go on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts