Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many can figure out what this picture is? Just had a moment between moving equipment between farms and thought I'd throw this out. More pictures and explaination to follow later. Jarrell

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I know this might sound obvious, but with those tires, it appears to be the remains of a tractor. Am I close??

·
Registered
616 Posts
i'm sure theres some catch, it can't be that simple... just looks like a tractor minus the body and what not... its even got the plow for making rows in a field on the back, whats the deal? actually is that a BMC tractor? looks like my dads old one... well whats left of it does at any rate

·
Opeler
68 Posts
Guess you want to refer to an OHV engine with extended sportshifter?
Did this thing get you hooked on Opels?

·
1,973 Posts
ok here is my guess
opel 1.9 engine and trans
some type of small tractor diff with ag tires (oliver 70 row crop?)?
and a small case front end

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
how about a racing stripped down fork lift truck :D

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, most everyone is close. I was getting some fields ready for planting and my neighbor goes by hauling this "thing" on a trailer to drop it off in the back of his property. We start talking about it when a logo catches my eye. Lo and behold it's an Opel engine/transmission hooked up to the rest of this contraption. So when I come out to move I go get my camera and here are the pictures. The block nos is stamped *11-01546? To me when I saw the radiator, that was the start. Now the question I have is what engine is it? A 1.1? It was supposedly running when it was cut off. It has a single downdraft Solex. So, Old Opel engines don't die, they are reincarnated into tractors. LOL. Jarrell

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two more pictures. I was amazed that someone had gone to that much trouble to cobble together a tractor. My neighbor said he'd give it to me if I wanted it. How many people can say they have an Opel powered tractor? LMAO. Jarrell

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
that is a standard 1.1 liter with standard 4 speed. the 1.1 super rally motors start off with 11SR or 11SRUS. the "sport" 1.1 liter 4 speeds have a big tunnell extension off the back where the shifter comes out from.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, how much Hp would it produce? What got me laughing was the use of 2 sets of shifters. Also I had never seen an Opel engine with the distributor at the back. What are the odds that I would be on that farm, at that field, at that time. Strange, very strange indeed. :cool: Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok Jarell, This pic was taken today with you in mind. It's not Opel related but tell me the road name with those colors? Any other rail fans out there feel free. Crane was to change out the rear wheel set. Looks like an E6 to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wasn't a fallen flag was it? Looks like Bangor and Arostock (sp?) Jarrell
I'm still thinking.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Year

soybean said:
The block nos is stamped *11-01546? To me when I saw the radiator, that was the start. Now the question I have is what engine is it? A 1.1? LOL. Jarrell
By the engine number my Kadett Parts Book tells me that it is a 1964 standard fitment 1.1 litre Opel motor. They also had an 11S "high performance" Sports motor available that year. It appears that was the first year the 1.1 litre motor was fitted as the engine numbers start at 11-0000001
and go through to 11-0407848 for that year - so Opel must have made quite a few 1964 cars!
Oh! and ONE tractor! :D

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
soybean said:
Wasn't a fallen flag was it? Looks like Bangor and Arostock (sp?) Jarrell
I'm still thinking.
Union Pacific F7A unit without the front Badging. It's hard to see the radiator screens to make it out. The F7s had full screens.I can't see any portholes either.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Nope it's an active line here in Colorado. They just won a judgement that gives them airial space above the tracks if that helps. Used to be DRGW but all rights for this section were bought out. Figured I'd throw you a good question and a pic to keep.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it. Royal Gorge. Train nos 403. Cañon City. Thanks, Dave. Let me know if I got it right. I'll be up all night pouring through books otherwise .Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yes that's it. thought you might enjoy the quiz and picture. Like I said the picture was taken for you. That is the sight from the local Checker auto parts store parking lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts