Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
FWIW, the reason I used a backup pump is it was racing.... rally. Hard use.... no need to DNF due to a stupid failure. Never have run a back-up on the street. Just avoid the Facet 'cube' type pumps IMHO.... noisy and failure prone.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
All great points! I was told about the break in period from the engine builder as well as from Gil; however, I was concerned how I was going to manage tuning the carb, checking the timing from the passenger side when the Dizzy is on the drivers and my head was turned on it's ear just to look into the pointer window. What a crazy place for the timing pointer. And keeping the engine running for 20-25 minutes at 2k rpm.

I am using break in oil Driven BR-40.
Good deal. FYI, there are ways to set the timing close before you ever crank the engine. So when you get to that point, come on by and ask. Some timing advance over stock is good for both break-in and running.

·
Super Moderator
8,210 Posts
FWIW, the reason I used a backup pump is it was racing.... rally. Hard use.... no need to DNF due to a stupid failure. Never have run a back-up on the street. Just avoid the Facet 'cube' type pumps IMHO.... noisy and failure prone.
I believe PJ, Mr. Overkill/Over engineer, had/has a back up fuel pump on his GT and it failed when he needed it. I think his solution was to use them more in a rotation? Maybe he will chime in and tell me I'm senile, nice term for crazy, and he did no such thing. :rolleyes:

Harold

P.S. Spend the money to get a good one! They have advantages as well as disadvantages over mechanical. I've experienced a no start condition due to a blown fuse and had to walk several miles because I didn't have one. That car has several spare fuses now along with a new fuel pump because I no longer trusted it. It was trailered to the Nationals in Nashville shortly after it happened. A disappointment since we lived about an hour away. I replaced the pump and the car was again a daily driver racking up probably 500 miles/week and 400 miles/week the last few years. Also had no problems with it when we participated in the Opel Anniversary Tour a few years ago.
Mechanical pumps, for me at least, have given subtle warnings they were going out before they did.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts