Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know off the top of thier head what I need to do to use a quick-release steering wheel hub? With my race seat in I have a lot of trouble squeezing between the rib support and the steering wheel to get out of the car. If there is one available that bolts to the column and I can bolt my wheel to that would be great, I'll consider a weld-on if there is not a bolt on available.

Thanks

Dan

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
You have probably already examined this option, but Opel GT Source sells a Momo steering wheel adapter that allows you to mount any Momo steering wheel out there to the column of your GT. While I don't know for sure, I think that it would safe to assume that Momo makes a quick release wheel.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Momo = $$$
I'm looking for something I can just bolt onto the existing shaft and possibly drill to fit my stock wheel (I like the 3 spoke brushed with black grip wheel I have)

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
You likely won't find anything. Bolt-on quick-release adapters are usually a car-specific item, and quite expensive (about $180 to $200 just for the adapter). Check out this site for an example:
http://www.nissport.com/catalog/product.asp?ProductCode=NS-1100&EquipmentType=

I had to make my own for my ITB car...I have to use the stock steering column by the rules, but I wanted a quick-release. So I gutted the stock Manta/Ascona steering hub, and made an adapter plate to bolt a standard $28 quick-release to the existing hub which bolts to the column. I then fitted my racing wheel to the quick release hub via another adapter I made. It worked two-fold, I got my quick-release as I wanted, and was able to move the steering wheel closer to me for better control. No horn button however.....

Bob

·
315 Posts
A couple of years ago I went to do some test drives at the Daytona test days preceeding the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona and Motorola Cup. One of the test drives I lined up was for a "low bucks" team. They had put a cheapie steering wheel quick disconnect on the car. Before I got my chance to do the test drive, the cheapie failed... and put the driver into a wall... and in the Daytona hospital. Fortunately, he survived... the car didn't. Grand Am determined that everything was installed properly, but the quick release just failed. I later talked to the driver and he said it just came off in his hand as he turned in for the chichane (sp?) in the back straight. YEEEOOOOOOWWWWWW

Since then, I only use the best money can buy. Enough said

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, Bob... I was hoping to get the steering wheel about 3" back, since I'm 6'4" I need the seat fairly far back, but that puts me far away from the wheel, the shifter I can handle, but reaching for the wheel always bothers me.

And to the other Bob, I'm glad the driver came out ok, I won't be doing any sort of speeds that will put me in the hospital (auto-x only for now) for quite a while so I'm not too worried about it if one does break. I've never heard of one failing like that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts