Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to install an inexpensive Sparco or Corbeau racing seat in my GT. Unfortunately, all the dimensions I've been able to find on these seats don't include a dimension between the underside of the seat and my butt. As I'm 6'2" my helmet already rattles against the roof and I can't install a seat that's going to raise me at all. So, what do other people run and how does the height compare to the stock seats?

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Travis, seat brands and models can vary greatly in height and width. You really need to find a showroom with seats in stock so you can take measurements. Lime Rock has OMP seats in stock, and believe there's a decent size shop just north of Boston that has seats on display (Sparco?). I have a few seats you could check, both for 'fit' to the driver and for height.

Bob

·
315 Posts
The problem with bucket seats is not everybody's bucket is the same... so I make my own.

Start with one of the fiberglass "shells" that you can get "dirt cheap'". Use 2-part pour foam... pour it into a big plastic trash bag... put the bag with expanding foam in the seat shell and sit down in it... wiggle around a bit so the foam squishes out from under you, and up around your legs. The stuff hardens in 10-15 minutes (read Grass Roots Motorsports while you are waiting.)

Repeat the process for the seat back. Now you have a bucket seat that is perfect for your bucket. Carve and sand the excess foam. Carve holes in the foam for any place you want the seat belts to come through the seat. Then use fiberglass to cover the pour foam and make the final seat... with the foam still inside. When laminating in the foam, you can also laminate in mounting brackets, bolts, nuts or any other mounting arrangement you want.

After the seat shell is finished, I put about 1" of foam in the seat (that's almost no padding and the way I like it... almost no isolation from the car.) Last, buy a good slip over seat covers and put them on the seat. If you want it to look really good, have a seat upholstery place do the foam and cover.

This is the way the big boys (except NASCAR) do it... and the big boys use carbon fiber instead of fiberglass. In the end, you will get a better fitting seat for less cost than a good race seat... it will fit you and the car better.

Don't expect to get it right the first time... you'll need to do it at least twice... the first time to make a big mess and learn,,, the second time to get it right. BUT even doing it twice, it will still be less expensive than a good race seat.

By the way Travis... I have the same problem as you... I'm too tall and with ordinary seats my helmet hits the side hoop of the cage. So instead of using one of the fiberglass shells, I just put the trash bags on the floor of the car and sit down on them. That way the bottom of the seat even molds around the original seat mount/structrue channels in the car. (Be sure to use "industrial strenght" trash bags... if the bag tears, it will make a big mess.) When I'm sitting in the finished seat, my tail bone is only about 1 1/2 inches from the floor of the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts