Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what is it with everyone in Pennsylvania wanting to race. I had three people want to buy my parts opel gt. All that is left is the shell and it is gone. I have finally sold the shell to a guy and he told me he was going to chop it up and make a drag car out of it. Is this a popular thing now? He could have cared less about the other 72 thats sitting in the driveway that just needs carb work done to it. But I sold him that one, now I have the money to have the carb done on mine. :D
I was just wondering what if the new fad is to chop up the beautiful gts now. I cant believe someone would do that.

Toby

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Retro .....

It is a "retro" thing!
Just as may people look back on the ownership and driving of a GT others fondly remember the days that a number of modified GTs were raced on the drag strips of the US of A - and still are raced!
Why spend $US20,000 restoring a GT for driving on the street when for the same amount you can hurtle down a 1/4 mile drag strip ??? ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If the car could be restored to something appreciable and valued then it shouldn't have been parted out. Mine had been parted out but then got lots of the recipient's "bad" parts kind of stuck back on. Wasn't much there, just enough to make a race car out of. It was close to being hauled to the dump when I found it.
Which is worse, eternity in landfill or a new life as a fun toy? I sure enjoy my GT toy, and the racing fans do too!

·
Opeler
175 Posts
jeff denton said:
If the car could be restored to something appreciable and valued then it shouldn't have been parted out. Mine had been parted out but then got lots of the recipient's "bad" parts kind of stuck back on. Wasn't much there, just enough to make a race car out of. It was close to being hauled to the dump when I found it.
Which is worse, eternity in landfill or a new life as a fun toy? I sure enjoy my GT toy, and the racing fans do too!
Just look at my picture file and it will attest to what Jeff's saying here. Mine was shot and left for dead; the resurrection is just now starting to see fruition whereas this "shell" would have been scrapped. With only 21,000 + of the 1970 models making it over here, having one still running in ANY form is a plus AND a lot of fun! Just my 2 cents...

Bill B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts