Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in a new 3 core radiator with a drain. Had everything installed and was waiting on a lower radiator hose from OGTS. It arrived, I installed it and filled up the radiator. Like a knucklehead, I forgot to check clearance of fan to shroud. Fired up the car and it promptly started to chew up the fan on the shroud. Stopped everything, pulled it out again and the only difference I'm able to see, is the old radiator (72) has a round lower attaching bushing, while the newer bushing (73) was six sided. This new one appears to have raised the radiator. Were there different ones made? The radiator that was rebuilt came out of a 73. It was put in a 72. The only other thing I can think of would be the newer radiator is a little taller than the original. I haven't taken exact measurements, as I got so disgusted, I pulled the shroud off as it's shot with a nice wear hole in the bottom. On the bright side the new radiator cools well. Thanks, Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
soybean said:
I just put in a new 3 core radiator with a drain. Had everything installed and was waiting on a lower radiator hose from OGTS. It arrived, I installed it and filled up the radiator. Like a knucklehead, I forgot to check clearance of fan to shroud. Fired up the car and it promptly started to chew up the fan on the shroud. Stopped everything, pulled it out again and the only difference I'm able to see, is the old radiator (72) has a round lower attaching bushing, while the newer bushing (73) was six sided. This new one appears to have raised the radiator. Were there different ones made? The radiator that was rebuilt came out of a 73. It was put in a 72. The only other thing I can think of would be the newer radiator is a little taller than the original. I haven't taken exact measurements, as I got so disgusted, I pulled the shroud off as it's shot with a nice wear hole in the bottom. On the bright side the new radiator cools well. Thanks, Jarrell
I had the same problem in my GT, even with brand new motor mounts. While I never figured out whether this was a "model year difference" problem or not, here's the fix I fabricated:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Otto. I had the thought later on today when I calmed down, about enlonging the holes on the shroud and sliding it down. Your idea is simpler. Jarrell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts